Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
That seemed to be the problem in Columbus that I was hoping he would change this season. Laine wants to be the guy who can take the puck into the zone....but he tends to try one too many moves or simply loses possession.

That's why he and Gaudreau didn't mesh on the ice, they both want the puck on their stick.
His advanced stats did seem to indicate one of his biggest weaknesses was defensive zone exits so that checks out.

The other one was forechecking I think.

Last edited:

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
The only risks with Laine are his health issues, both physical and mental, if both of those are truly behind him we've landed gold for nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his skillset or abilities, they haven't gone away.

Also I find it extremely unlikely he could hurt this locker room, if anything, it's the opposite, it's this locker room that's going to help Laine the most. It's of my opinion he couldn't have walked into a better situation for himself, with the group of guys we have here throughout, both teammates, coaches and management.

I didn't want Laine, that is to say, I didn't want to give up anything of value for him, but for free I could not be happier. If he wanted a clean slate, he'd be hardpressed to get a better one than this.

I am very optimistic about his new start in Montreal.

If it fails that will be on Patrik, he has everything he needs here to get back to where he wants to be.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
His advanced stats did seem to indicate one of his biggest weaknesses was defensive zone exists so that checks out.

The other one was forechecking I think.
It was extremely frustrating to watch. I know he wants to be a do it all kinda guy, but when you have a shot like that you gotta trust other guys to set you up more. Once he gets going though and he becomes a threat to score every time the pucks on his stick, it opens up the game for everyone else. He's just frustratingly streaky (partially due to getting dinged up a lot)

Reactions: Guess

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I never paid much attention to him but now watched several YouTube on his scoring. I'm guessing he has a 95mph wrist shot and DEADLY accurate.

The other suprise is that he's straight up beating goalies from 40 ft wrist shots. After watching so many Habs try to erase goalie crest, it will be a treat to watch Laine ring them in off the post.

The more videos I watch the more convinced I am that Dach would be the dream center to get the most out of him.

Here's hoping for the best...

Last edited:

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
It was extremely frustrating to watch. I know he wants to be a do it all kinda guy, but when you have a shot like that you gotta trust other guys to set you up more. Once he gets going though and he becomes a threat to score every time the pucks on his stick, it opens up the game for everyone else. He's just frustratingly streaky (partially due to getting dinged up a lot)
It will be interesting to see what the development staff can do with him. They've done a lot of good work with some of our other players, if he's as dedicated and hard working as I hope he is then he might be able to shore up some of his weaknesses and become a two way beast.

Gotta hope that him and Dach can break the injury curse.

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
Your argument fails both ways

Just because a team doesn’t have the pieces and chemistry to consider itself a competitive one prior to player acquisition does not mean it should not make attempts to improve the roster. This isn’t a on-off switch, it isn’t binary where a team goes from Bad to Good with a press of a button.

Teams have to build up, often iteratively, and Laine could prove to be part of that competitive roster even as early as this season.

Claiming that a young, offense-starved team doesn’t have any chance to benefit from the acquisition of a skilled forward because its current roster isn’t sufficiently skilled at forward… is a very bad take. D-.

If the Habs are splurging big futures it would be one thing, but they explicitly did not do anything of the sort.

As for the cap hit… the core pieces are all signed and extended. Carey Price’s 10.5m LTIR hasn’t even been touched the last two off-seasons. Plenty of cap inefficient depth guys are moving on next summer and the one after to be replaced by cheaper AND better options.

Laine was a perfect trade for the Habs BECAUSE of his high cap hit. The Habs got paid to try him out… the only other chance the Habs would have would be to sign him as a UFA. He gives the Habs a super deluxe two year trial period before he becomes a 28-year old UFA, which is typically the age players become UFA in the first place.

Either way that the evaluation goes, the Habs have the inside track and will make an extremely well-informed decision at that time.

So it is short, medium, and long term upside for the Habs.
Yep, the Habs want to improve but they're not at a point where they need to maximize their cap to compete, they need to find the right pieces to contend long term and a 2 year trial is perfect for a potential star player with question marks, without having to give away anything of value.

They wouldn't have done this if he was a free agent because they wouldn't take the risk knowing how he would fit in, and also there isn't as much pressure on the team right now because they haven't exited the rebuild yet so he'll get some leeway to work on his two-way game and improve as a player without the repercussions of being benched.

Not to mention that there was still a missing piece in that top 6 and he could be the one to fill it long term, and if not, if he looks half-decent at all we can still benefit by trading him his last season with 50% retention.

The decision to pick him up was so great on so many levels, a recurring trend of many of management's moves.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Does Laine play better on the left or right wing on 5v5?

I'd say it's pretty much a wash. Depends on the center and other winger also. He at least used to prefer LW himself (years ago, dunno if that has changed) but has played probably just as much if not more as RW over his NHL career.

Reactions: Guess

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I have seen the words "no risk" from at least 5 different habs fans regarding this trade.

They will certainly be able to afford the rollovers, but, if they begin spending to the cap as they enter their contention window, it may come into play somewhat. It is something to consider.

Again, I like the move. Someone else claimed that the important thing during a rebuild was to give as much opportunities to the kids as possible, and I simply pointed out how adding laine takes PP minutes away from 1 of Dach or Slafkovsky (hot take, I'd take Caufield off PP1 instead if you want the best 5 possible out there and have Laine as your sniper, but I think that is an unlikely thing to occur)
Yes because clearly habs will hurt of adding Laine into 1 of the worst pp in the league for like the last 5 years. Because giving PP time to Gallagher, Anderson or Armia is more important than giving some to Laine. Laine at worst case is gone in 2 seasons. Habs are still 1-2 years away to be ready to make an impact or fight for a playoff spot.

Laine is just a guess and if it works we get a 30-50 goals scorer and if it doesn't he will be replaced fast by Demidov and the upcoming forwards.

Habs fans are tired to see Suzuki Line doing everything offensively. Better than doing nothing

Salary cap is a non issue with Armia Dvorak Evans Savard leaving and perhaps Matheson and Anderson are traded next summer. Thats like 20m of cap space already + the cap going up

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
One of the things that changes everything is...after the first line our 2nd, 3rd, 4th lines are horrible. Bottom of the league horrible.

Laine-Dach-Newhook/Roy IF healthy and works together will not only give us a deadly second line, it takes away the the suffocating coverage on our first line.

We still need to work on the the other two lines, hopefully Beck and Roy or Newhook can form a decent third line.

Anywho, adding a point per game player on the power play and finally forming an effective second line, will make us into a bubble team. Kind of tragic that "achievement" is to rise to mediocrity, but at least mediocrity is a stepping stone rather then a home.

Reactions: FLHabs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I never paid much attention to him but now watched several YouTube on his scoring. I'm guessing he has a 95mph wrist shot and DEADLY accurate.

The other suprise is that he's straight up beating goalies from 40 ft wrist shots. After watching so many Habs try to erase goalie crest, it will be a treat to watch Laine ring them in off the post.

The more videos I watch the more convinced I am that Dach would be the dream center to get the most out of him.

Here's hoping for the best...

This is going to get get Caufield more competitive IMO. Both are 40+ goal threats and I bet you these two will have a goal scoring competition

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
It will be interesting to see what the development staff can do with him. They've done a lot of good work with some of our other players, if he's as dedicated and hard working as I hope he is then he might be able to shore up some of his weaknesses and become a two way beast.

He's 26. He's not going to develop anymore. He is a finished product.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"It doesn't matter how much money we waste because we suck anyway!" is a WILD rebuild strategy.

Laine isn’t going to bring them any money back?

There’s multiple reasons for Montreal to try to be better, for starters all the young players being excited as hell by the Laine addition, wanting to play more meaningfull games.

Whether you like it or not Laine is a superstar name that brings the clicks& will sell plenty of merch

Last edited:
Reactions: stanley25

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Hard to trust others when there is limited talent around you. Look at Gaudreau's point totals between the Flames and Blue Jackets.

I think Scheifele was the best center Laine has played with. Who's the 2nd best? Seems to be a massive drop to the quality.

I think MSL is going to work with him on the flaws or areas of improvement. When to take chances and when not to.

He's 26. He's not going to develop anymore. He is a finished product.

In terms of maturity/experience, he can grow in that area. Puck management areas

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I like the move for Montreal. Can't believe the pick is going the other way. The contract is short, so if it doesn't work out, c'est la vie.

People talk about the pressure of playing in Montreal, but I can't imagine there's a ton of pressure on the team to do well this upcoming season.

And the city itself is beautiful. Just got back from a short vacation there and everything from the food to the people, all terrific.

Laines problems haven’t been due to on ice pressure, it’s been what’s been happening off ice.

Unlike many others I’d say a team like Montreal is exactly what Laine needs to get back to ”right”. He feeds off that passion as he’s talked about so often, he’d never be succesfull in team like Arizona with no pressure. Which is something many would say he would be.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Laines problems haven’t been due to on ice pressure, it’s been what’s been happening off ice.

Unlike many others I’d say a team like Montreal is exactly what Laine needs to get back to ”right”. He feeds off that passion as he’s talked about so often, he’d never be succesfull in team like Arizona with no pressure. Which is something many would say he would be.

Agreed. Before this trade, there were several Habs fans saying Montreal is the last place Laine should be. I don't see it that way. I see this as a situation that brings the best out of him because he has lots of energy and big games to play a the Bell Center.

I also think Hughes/MSL/Suzuki is a great support system. If Laine stays healthy, he's scoring 40+. This is like the Monahan situation, it's not a question about ability, it's a question about can he stay healthy.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Agreed. Before this trade, there were several Habs fans saying Montreal is the last place Laine should be. I don't see it that way. I see this as a situation that brings the best out of him because he has lots of energy and big games to play a the Bell Center.

I also think Hughes/MSL/Suzuki is a great support system. If Laine stays healthy, he's scoring 40+. This is like the Monahan situation, it's not a question about ability, it's a question about can he stay healthy.

He loved playing in Winnipeg and in that pressure bowl. That’s not why he left and he’s said he misses that athmosphere.
He’d be unhappy in Arizona, chance to be back in Canada and in O6 team will light the fire just more in him

& multiple players from Columbus said Laine was very open about needing help off the ice and last year he finally went all in and took the time to get his mind right. But again that wasn’t about dealing with on ice pressure rather than losing the most important person in his life at 23/24 and trying to find to cope with it

This trade doesn’t mean Laine will get back to the 2nd overall version of Laine but was the best thing for him

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019

I get the same impression of him. I get low-key Zlatan vibes from Laine. I do not think he is as loud perhaps, but I do believe he needs pressure and the limelight and that it only works as motivation for him because he seems to have that mentality that he wants to be THE guy and he wants it to matter.
I've always got this feeling from him. He was brilliant his first season in the NHL and didn't mind the pressure, quite the opposite. At the home WJC's 2016 he was THE guy for me. Aho, Rantanen, Pulju, Hintz, Kapanen and others had either skill, mentality and different strengths to their game. But Laine felt like the guy that made me sure that team Finland were better than Canada, Sweden and others.
Not like his showings in the Liiga was any worse for a talent at his age back then either.

I know it's old news but I've always whined about his NHL centers. It can't be that difficult for GM's and coaches to recognize that either you give him a good playmaking center and probably get big success or otherwise... You are just making your franchise, him and the fans a big disfavor.
A lot of answers I got were pointing fingers towards Finnish homerism but that wasn't the case with my thoughts and has never been. I will probably one of the first ones to criticize a Finnish prospect if he's overrated because that will only make him a disfavor in the long run.

Laine is very special, in both a good and bad way. I don't think he's the easiest guy and that he has a big ego. He has made some questionable things during his youth years with Leijonat as well so this is nothing new. I've always seen it in him, he has those eyes. If he's in a good place off the ice I'm quite sure he will perform and make bitter Jets fans and also some Jackets fans cry.
I also hope the Habs can trade for Heinola. He would suit Laine in PP1. Jets are ruining that prospect in a criminal way. No matter how many times he's been injured or not.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
He's probably best cast as Kessel on a Hagelin - Bonino - Kessel as-3rd-line lineup configuration with 1st PP minutes.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
The only risks with Laine are his health issues, both physical and mental, if both of those are truly behind him we've landed gold for nothing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with his skillset or abilities, they haven't gone away.

Also I find it extremely unlikely he could hurt this locker room, if anything, it's the opposite, it's this locker room that's going to help Laine the most. It's of my opinion he couldn't have walked into a better situation for himself, with the group of guys we have here throughout, both teammates, coaches and management.

I didn't want Laine, that is to say, I didn't want to give up anything of value for him, but for free I could not be happier. If he wanted a clean slate, he'd be hardpressed to get a better one than this.

I am very optimistic about his new start in Montreal.

If it fails that will be on Patrik, he has everything he needs here to get back to where he wants to be.
So, you don't have a high opinion of him but because you "got him for free" you think you have struck gold?

CTHabsfan

Jul 28, 2007
Because I saw a number of posts claiming this trade had 0 risk, which I disagreed with.

"We all know there's risk" directly contradicts the countless posts from MTL fans claiming the exact opposite, that this trade is risk free.
I think you're taking those people much too literally. There is minimal risk for the Canadiens in Laine not being able to stay healthy, which would mean the $8.7 million could have been better spent over the next two seasons. It's not as if Jordan Harris might be a future Norris Trophy contender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad