Confirmed Trade: [MTL/CBJ] Patrik Laine, '26 2nd for Jordan Harris

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guess

Jul 16, 2010
Brossard, QC
It's not really about development with Laine. It's about getting his confidence back up and have him love playing hockey again.

Marty is the perfect coach for that

It's a combination of both, if we want to get the best possible player. If he's playing 20 minutes a game you can be sure the coaching staff makes him put as much work into his defensive game as they're doing with Caufield.

Having him confident and enjoying himself makes it easier to have that inner belief and growth mindset.

Reactions: HabsAddict

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Huh?
his lowest points total with the Jets was 50 when he scored 30 goals. He hasn't scored 30 goals in a season since he left the Jets.
Even his ppg is higher with the Jets.
How was he more productive in Columbus?
Look at 2021/22 and 2022/23 season. He was better than in Jets especially in 2022/23 season. Also compare partners especially in defense (Werenski, Boqvist and Bean were often injured). Of course if you do not think players like Peeke, Gudbranson and Berni are offensive monsters because he played especially with them in 2022/23. 😎 Btw, how can you count 2023/24 season if he played after concussion?

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Laine at 26 is in most ways a better hockey player than Laine at 19. One thing that gets forgotten though is that there's been a pretty big increase in scoring since he started in the league. 44 goals in a season in might not seem like that much these days, but back in 2017-2018 it was the 2nd most goals in the league. Even his 36 from his rookie year was a top10 finish. He also didn't have a remotely close to healthy season in Columbus, which blurs the waters further.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Guy has 0g 0pts since being acquired.

Can't wait for him to be ran out of town with this production.

In that time span I bet Gallagher has ran a goalie.

On a different boat am I allowed to say this is a win-win for both at this point?

Laine didn't want to be there, he got moved. Columbus retained nothing. They only had to pay a 2nd and they got a jack of all trades, master of none type dman and they freed up around 7 mill(don't remember Harris' cap, but I think it was low enough to be buried, so maybe more cap space)

Habs got a big body, sniper, who's had some injuries and hasn't produced like he once could, but he isn't 33 and hoping things work well enough for one more season, but rather 26.

Habs moved out a dman, which they needed to do. Reports (Engels on the most recent sick podcast) mentioned the Habs have had Harris out there for a while, so it works.

Rumours of his attitude problem, which others seem to say he's fine, but you could dissect that a bit more.

Habs got a 2nd, 2 years away so really could be good, could be bad. Fantilli taking another step this year and likely next, Lindstrom probably there next year, Columbus likely isn't finishing bottom 10, so a mid-round 2nd at best

In the future this could look like a win for one team, a loss for another, or a loss for both, but right now seems like a win-win.

I was against Laine unless he was retained and/or Anderson/Gallagher was going back, so I'll have crow to eat if he works out here.

If he does workout in Montreal being around a 35 goal scorer that the Habs got for "free" is pretty damn nice

Even if he's a bit lower and around a 25-30 goal scorer, but contributing in other ways, Habs could re-sign him at a lower cap hit than currently and have some long-term depth on the team and can slowly integrate Demidov, their 2025 1st and then guys like Hage as they become ready instead of the Bergevin where they would cast into top 6 roles before they were ready for top 6 in the AHL.

Last edited:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Also, having another scorer to key in on means Caufield won't always be facing the best defensemen or have his line be the focus of opponents gameplans.

Yup! Having 2 or 3 good lines does make it very difficult for the other team's coach in the match-up game.

I expect more goals scored for the Habs but not so sure if we limit goals against because our D is still so young. Maybe, the extra offense keeps the puck in the offensive end more which helps take pressure off the D. We will see

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yet he was more productive in Columbus. He had talent around him, he just tried to do it all. Injuries just constantly derailed him.

I was there for that game :naughty:

We had gotten there late and just trying to get to our seats we heard it go off multiple times 😂

He was not more productive in Columbus. Pts/game was close to the same but goals/game was higher with the Jets.

I don't agree he had talent to work with on the Blue Jackets. Injuries was a factor though.

Laine is going to have some solid talent to work with on the growing Habs roster. If he stays healthy, I think fans who are "conservative" will change their tune quickly

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

junyab

Jan 22, 2013
Not to mention their non-sensationalist hockey media and the patience and understanding that former players turned pundits have for a new crop of guys.
I actually don't think the Montreal media or fans are going to be put as much pressure on Laine than what its historically done with its stars.

The Habs have multiple stars where it seems pressure and responsibility is spread around more evenly now.

And it's not like when we gave up Sergachev in Harris, we won't be forced to see him flourish into a 1/2 D-man like Sergachev did in Tampa.

And lastly, after this year, pressure will continue to drop as Demidov will arrive and be placed under the biggest magnifying glass.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I actually don't think the Montreal media or fans are going to be put as much pressure on Laine than what its historically done with its stars.

The Habs have multiple stars where it seems pressure and responsibility is spread around more evenly now.

And it's not like when we gave up Sergachev in Harris, we won't be forced to see him flourish into a 1/2 D-man like Sergachev did in Tampa.

And lastly, after this year, pressure will continue to drop as Demidov will arrive and be placed under the biggest magnifying glass.
100% agree. Because the Habs are in a rebuild and expectations are so low, there is no pressure on the players at all. Because the Habs got Laine for free (and even got a 2nd round pick), there is no pressure on Laine at all. He can crap the bed and its not a big deal. His capspace was going to be unused anyways.

Zero Risk, High Reward Trade by Hughes!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Somehow I missed this when it happened, but holy wow.

My first reaction- uh, Laine is cool with that media pressure? Ok.. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but seems he hasn’t liked places, and MTL fans and media are, uh, passionate!

Best of luck to him, but not enough to make MTL good.

I certainly have questions, and I wasn't in favour of acquiring Laine but the deal itself
looks good. They didn't give up too much for him with all due respect for Harris.

My main concern moving forward is what is the opportunity cost of this transaction? What other opportunity could have presented itself in the next two years which is no longer available because of this?

The organization did meet with Laine prior to making the trade though so it seems like they went above and beyond in vetting this. Columbus did not have to make him available to this meeting but obliged the Habs request, and I guess it helped alleviate concerns.

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Guy has 0g 0pts since being acquired.

Can't wait for him to be ran out of town with this production.

In that time span I bet Gallagher has ran a goalie.

On a different boat am I allowed to say this is a win-win for both at this point?

Laine didn't want to be there, he got moved. Columbus retained nothing. They only had to pay a 2nd and they got a jack of all trades, master of none type dman and they freed up around 7 mill(don't remember Harris' cap, but I think it was low enough to be buried, so maybe more cap space)

Habs got a big body, sniper, who's had some injuries and hasn't produced like he once could, but he isn't 33 and hoping things work well enough for one more season, but rather 26.

Habs moved out a dman, which they needed to do. Reports (Engels on the most recent sick podcast) mentioned the Habs have had Harris out there for a while, so it works.

Rumours of his attitude problem, which others seem to say he's fine, but you could dissect that a bit more.

Habs got a 2nd, 2 years away so really could be good, could be bad. Fantilli taking another step this year and likely next, Lindstrom probably there next year, Columbus likely isn't finishing bottom 10, so a mid-round 2nd at best

In the future this could look like a win for one team, a loss for another, or a loss for both, but right now seems like a win-win.

I was against Laine unless he was retained and/or Anderson/Gallagher was going back, so I'll have crow to eat if he works out here.

If he does workout in Montreal being around a 35 goal scorer that the Habs got for "free" is pretty damn nice

Even if he's a bit lower and around a 25-30 goal scorer, but contributing in other ways, Habs could re-sign him at a lower cap hit than currently and have some long-term depth on the team and can slowly integrate Demidov, their 2025 1st and then guys like Hage as they become ready instead of the Bergevin where they would cast into top 6 roles before they were ready for top 6 in the AHL.
No way that CBJ moves out of bottom 10 in 2 years...likely they will be in the race for 1OA so it will be a high 2nd round pick

Reactions: MTL Dirty Birdy

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Yet he was more productive in Columbus. He had talent around him, he just tried to do it all. Injuries just constantly derailed him.

I was there for that game :naughty:

We had gotten there late and just trying to get to our seats we heard it go off multiple times 😂
I remember it being like the simpsons bush meme for me, turned it on then turned it off lol

• Haha
Reactions: CBJx614

elmaco

Registered Hockey Fan
Feb 1, 2017

Yeah it's good for him that the fanbase doesn't see him as the rainmaker, like CBJ did.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No way that CBJ moves out of bottom 10 in 2 years...likely they will be in the race for 1OA so it will be a high 2nd round pick
Given that the Jackets and the Habs have been on the same path and in the same state for a few years running, I'm surprised you would express something like this that implies you have so little faith in your own team.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

First off, no mention of Laine or the trade so why you choose to post that makes 0 sense other than to attempt bash CBJ.

Second off, Button can go f*** himself. Way to alienate an entire fan base. We have an hands off owner who is willing to spend to the cap, new FO and new coaching for one of the youngest teams in the league. Him saying this shit now makes 0 sense, if he wanted to say that, he should've said it when Jarmo was still GM.

Third, how many failed franchises sell out in back to back lottery seasons?

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
First off, no mention of Laine or the trade so why you choose to post that makes 0 sense other than to attempt bash CBJ.

Second off, Button can go f*** himself. Way to alienate an entire fan base. We have an hands off owner who is willing to spend to the cap, new FO and new coaching for one of the youngest teams in the league. Him saying this shit now makes 0 sense, if he wanted to say that, he should've said it when Jarmo was still GM.
He's got anger issues.

I do think Jarmo was always a problem and clearly there is / was a dark cloud in that locker room. Will be interesting to see if they clean it up now with Waddell.

Reactions: CBJx614

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Given that the Jackets and the Habs have been on the same path and in the same state for a few years running, I'm surprised you would express something like this that implies you have so little faith in your own team.
Look at the rosters. I am a realist and i said nothing about Montreal not being in the bottom 10. Don't put words in other posters' mouths.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Look at the rosters. I am a realist and i said nothing about Montreal not being in the bottom 10. Don't put words in other posters' mouths.
The Jackets roster is full of kids primed to breakout and have big seasons.

Chinakov, Marchenko, Voronkov, Kent Johnson, Adam Fantilli all have performed extremely well. Will all of them breakout at once? Extremely unlikely.

Chinakov has the potential to be the biggest winner of Laine being moved off the roster as now his shot is the best on the team.

Marchenko has been steadily improving every year and could hit his next gear

Voronkov was a top rookie scorer last year until he cooled off

Fantilli was in the running for Calder until his injury.

Kent Johnson put up 40 points in his rookie season before his sophomore slump and injury.

Defensively guys like Jiricek and Mateychuk will likely need a little more time to develop but they could also pop off at any time.

All of that without even mentioning this is the first time since Torts was head coach that the CBJ will have an actual experienced head coach leading the team. Think about that, not only were the jackets a young team full of rookies and young kids the last few years, but they have been led by rookie head coaches for basically the last 3 seasons.

Lockin17

Jul 31, 2018

Third, how many failed franchises sell out in back to back lottery seasons?
Nahh you guy's are just a date on the calender,,, and you know it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad