Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
We'd get completely blanked by the Tampas, Carolinas and Islanders of the world in the 1st or 2nd round.
What makes you say this?

I'm warming up to Brunette. This is conspiracy theory but I still can't imagine how Lindy Ruff turns the Devils around the way he has. The Lindy Ruff we saw. Brunette did great with Florida when Q got the boot. Shows up in Jersey and boom! They're a pretty strong team. Maybe he's the real brains behind the Devil's bench.
Devils got good because their best player developed a ton one year to the next imo - other things factored in I’m sure but that’s the biggest one

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Chris Johnston mentioned Drury is considering some of the young guys mentioned for the Rangers job. CJ said the Rangers already had the veteran coach in Gallant who was fired/mutual parting of the ways after just two years. He mentioned Babcock. However, Elliotte Friedman said he didn't think Babcock wants to come back in the league in a big market.

Babcock would crawl back into the league with anyone who will take him. He’s not getting any younger .

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
What makes you say this?
See Florida last season and New Jersey this season

his style is good/fun for regular season. It is easily countered in the Playoffs. Hasn't show to adapt yet. It's not impossible but he needs more depth in gameplan

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
See Florida last season and New Jersey this season

his style is good/fun for regular season. It is easily countered in the Playoffs. Hasn't show to adapt yet. It's not impossible but he needs more depth in gameplan
It’s hard to tease out why that stuff happens though. Is Maurice that much better of a coach? Or is Montour on an insane heater and Tkachuk a far better player for playoff hockey than Huberdeau?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It’s hard to tease out why that stuff happens though. Is Maurice that much better of a coach? Or is Montour on an insane heater and Tkachuk a far better player for playoff hockey than Huberdeau?
Tkachuk and Bob definitely has something to do with it and the teams playstyle/mentality changed.

Reactions: haveandare

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Weren't the Rangers after Keefe or at least at top of their list a few years ago before he became Toronto's HC?

Was it him or the team that failed in the PO--No defense or goalie to speak of, the scoring just dried up in the second round--with the big time top 6, I get how some always wants to say the team should change its style but that's not going to happen in the PO. Adapted or coaching changes sure line vs line defensive switches but unlike the Rangers who could have because of their resources Toronto didn't have those resources so they just kept rolling out the top 6 with the same defensive pairs. Yes, the rub is Keefe should have had this team in more PO's and ready to play but every year the team was in the same position over and over. No defense or goalie but an awesome top 6 scoring machine. We've all said the defense, or a hot goalie can take you very far in the PO's neither of which has Toronto had.

The Ranger on the other hand have exactly that a very good defense and top 5 goalie, maybe Keefe can pick up the offense which is/was his forte.

I know it sounds like I'm pushing for Keefe (I do like him and wouldn't mind him) but I'm really not, the guy I wanted decided to stay in Pittsburg.

Leach, Burnette, Keefe all have some issues but so do Q, Mess, Roy, Petey etc.

The way I see it the team will go with an older experienced coach because of the vets. Now if the plan is to trade off some players IE Breadman, Laffy, Chytil, KK then maybe especially if they deal Panarin they should go younger coach.

Love how some have said that no matter whom the Rangers hire some will say it's the wrong choice before they even play 1 game.

Drury is a position of no return if it's his choice it has to be the correct choice because if it's not, the house of cards will fall with most likely multiple players, coach's, GM changes.

Anyway, let's all hope the Rangers do make the correct choice and we continue to build on the fun ride (ok not this year's PO's after the second game).

Last edited:

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

These can all be true and they are.

But the change in style is clear and has made an impact too.

Truth is they would face gotten killed already if not for bob but if they had been trying to Weee! Their way through teams they would have likely been knocked out already even with bob being insane

Reactions: TheDirtyH

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Bet ya Drury slows plays a bit to see what happens with Dubas and Pittsburgh now that he’s been fired in Toronto

Sully is Drury’s guy, still think there’s a chance there

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Answering two questions addressed to me above:

Espo: I loved Espo as a player going back to the days when he single handedly willed Team Canada to victory over the Russians in 1972. I might have been the only Ranger fan who applauded him when the Bruins came to play after that series. I liked him as a Ranger also even though, like most, I had regrets about trading Park and Ratelle. His time as a GM was fun: he was fantasy hockey before it truly existed. As a fan, you never knew, when you tuned into a game, whether he had made a trade, or two. Sometimes, I think, he traded for a player, traded him away, and then traded for him again, in the same season! Luckily, these boards didn't exist back then...they would have imploded. But, he left a god-awful mess behind. But, I think of those days with a smile on my face.

I still cannot understand how Rangers fans give Esposito a pass. His GMing wasn't cute or funny. He was reckless, childish, emotional, impulsive, and had no plan. He was a complete buffoon. I get how he was a great player with the Bruins and there's the Rangers one Cup run where he did pretty well.

He very nearly set the franchise back about a decade. Just fortunate some of those Patrick picks were penny stocks that all came to fruition post-NCAA and Smith's cajones going for Russians worked out.

I don't have much respect for him as an exec or even a broadcaster (remember when he freaked out in 2014 during the MSL trade rumors?).

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Watching the playoffs has made me realize how inactive our D are jumping into the play.

Yes, they put up points but a lot of that is from keep-ins and passing play. They don't jump in to join the cycle or get a ton of chances off the rush.

We have weapons there. Fox is one of the best all-around offensive players in the league and Miller is very mobile. Even Schneider has shown to be a good finisher on the few occasions he's in on the rush. The only one who did it (and he arguably shouldn't!) is Mikkola.

I hope that's something we can incorporate more.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Watching the playoffs has made me realize how inactive our D are jumping into the play.

Yes, they put up points but a lot of that is from keep-ins and passing play. They don't jump in to join the cycle or get a ton of chances off the rush.

We have weapons there. Fox is one of the best all-around offensive players in the league and Miller is very mobile. Even Schneider has shown to be a good finisher on the few occasions he's in on the rush. The only one who did it (and he arguably shouldn't!) is Mikkola.

The Rangers overall as a skating team is not good. They cut corners and try and be cute. Very little speed.

Drury has been drafting some buzz saws like Sykora and Barbashev so at least he realizes it. Edstrom is a great skater for a big man.

Their D outside of Miller are sloths (Lindgren has the NBA Jam style turbo he can use every few shifts at maximum effort). Jones can skate so hopefully the next coach gives him a shot.

It's up to the next coach to start incorporating more mobility into the system, and to relay the message to the strength, conditioning, and skills (hopefully someone other than Ciaccao) to get the slow guys faster, and target players who can skate.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ

I remember that game in Buffalo when Mikkola scored, and Joe and Sam were laughing saying Gallant was probably pissed he went deep to the net.

I was indifferent on him being fired, but the more playoffs I watched, the more it made me okay with it.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
What makes you say this?

Devils got good because their best player developed a ton one year to the next imo - other things factored in I’m sure but that’s the biggest one
Nico Hischler's Selke season was also a factor. I know there are other factors which is why I labelled my own comment as conspiracy theory. A big part of this opinion is that Lindy Ruff has shown himself incompetent and rigid so I'm not willing to give him so much of the credit. This turn around season happens the season Brunette shows up. Maybe it's Ryan McGill (VGK) or Sergei Brylin's (AHL) doing?

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Roo Returns: You're absolutely right about Espo. Except that, it was fun in strange, perverted way. It's like many of us here on the boards who are much more willing to pull the trigger on trades than the actual management; how for many, we want it to be like fantasy hockey where you can wheel and deal with impunity. That's what is was like with Espo (I can only imagine the daily blow ups on the boards if they existed then): it was fantasy hockey except it was real. That's why, for all the damage he did, I can only look back and smile. It's its like the "This is a bad hockey team" thread appearing weekly so, why not make a trade?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad