Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Imo if Messier wants to be a ranger coach he can give Hartford a go if Knobloch takes the job and work his way up. I'm pretty sure Drury isn't putting his neck on the line with a coach with such limited experience.

DialUp

Big Bauds
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2012
NYC
but for a team that's pretty much in a cup window,
This group is not even close to a cup contender anymore; one year older, less cap space, slow as all hell, cannot pass, cannot break out.

This team could probably make the playoffs without a coach, but not much else. We had a great opp when we went to the ECF, but at this point we need massive turn over, and/or a full on rebuild.

Get a young, new coach. No one is winning the cup with Zib and Panarin as your top guys. Good players, not winners. Love Zib though.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I’ll believe Quenneville isn’t an option when the coach is hired

Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if they’re interested and Larry is just carrying water for them to downplay in the short term
I mean we'll know if this drags on. The sooner you can hire the coach, the better. Having a coach in place for the draft and free agency is a pretty big thing. Obviously they need to do a thorough process here, but one would imagine that they can hire a coach before the season ends if they want to. Unless they are waiting for say Sheldon Keefe getting canned.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Carbery is a nice name to see. Of course Knoblauch should also be getting a shot. Get some new guys in the door.

Please do not go with Quenneville.
Unless they are waiting for say Sheldon Keefe getting canned.
If Keefe gets canned, he'd be the top guy on my list and I'd see if he wants Knoblauch as an assistant.

Reactions: DanishRanger

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
I’ll believe Quenneville isn’t an option when the coach is hired

Wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest if they’re interested and Larry is just carrying water for them to downplay in the short term
Now that this is picking up steam I’d put him as the overwhelming favorite. Not thrilled but seems like a Ranger move.

Reactions: CLW

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Nothing has really changed with Quenneville. It was expected Bettman would speak to both Quenneville and Bowman at the end of this season. Even before the news this morning. It's a big risk for Bettman and any team hiring those guys. The last thing the NHL and those teams need is for more people to say Aldrich sexually assaulted them after the Hawks failed to call the cops.

The Rangers either don't want to wait until late June or early July for Bettman to make up his mind or they determined the public backlash is not worth it.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
All I can say about this is that Drury had the correct idea to move on from Gallant despite his very strong record to date, and that makes me feel positive about things.

Although I'm more concerned with gutting basically involved with our player development. I hope that is next on the chopping block.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I agree with @RangerBoy that the Rangers won't wait for Quenneville. Personally, I think he ends up in Toronto now that Dubas is out and Keefe is in limbo. Keefe is a good candidate for us as well.

Carberry interview is a promising sign, even if he isnt the guy. He'd be the most X's & O's hire we could make, which is more than fine with me. Interesting tidbit that he was an assistant on Jay Leach's staff with AHL Providence. A potential package deal with both would be very interesting.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I like Keefe but his decisions and gameplan leave a lot to be desired

Similar to a Brunette. I don't mind playing 'open-rush' hockey but it can't be the only way.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
I actually like Keefe a lot as a coach. If Toronto had a Shesterkin the last couple years they probably win a cup or at least go deep. I think he could be a good fit for the Rangers in terms of having experience, good X's and O's but also being a modern type in how he treats his players. Also think that a guy like him will have success wherever he goes when he get's out of the magnifying glass of Toronto. We'll see I guess. He'd be a very strong candidate for me.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I actually like Keefe a lot as a coach. If Toronto had a Shesterkin the last couple years they probably win a cup or at least go deep. I think he could be a good fit for the Rangers in terms of having experience, good X's and O's but also being a modern type in how he treats his players. Also think that a guy like him will have success wherever he goes when he get's out of the magnifying glass of Toronto. We'll see I guess. He'd be a very strong candidate for me.
Or Fox for that matter. Their #1D has been some combination of Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin. That's pretty bad when you look at what cup contending teams typically have.

Reactions: Glen Sathers Cigar

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
His system isn't open rush.

If anything, the Leafs leaned more towards the grind.
I do not agree. He added much needed structure defensively. He did great in that regard. I do not see the same for their attack at 5v5. It has been flat in the playoffs IMO. They do not do the little things necessary or dont have the same structure as on defense. Does that come from personnel and/or a 'hands off' approach on offense?

Their metrics were decent.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Well that was an easy ignore. Can easily discuss Q when it comes to the Beach/Blackhawks shitshow without that kind of conversation. Not too many are going to defend his decision to say nothing, but I guess people are out there.

If we are basing on his coaching merit, I wouldn't take him because we're starting to see that he wasn't the reason why the Panthers were successful. Brunette got them a president's trophy and now Maurice has them up 1-0 on Carolina. Chicago's success is about a relevant as it would be if the Rangers wanted to hire Babcock. Detroit was a long time ago for him too.

Keefe
Knoblauch
Leach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad