Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If they hire Laviolette they might as well sell the farm to win in the next 2 years because it’s never going to work otherwise. Leach and/or Knoblauch or bust
Agree...I'm not for Laviolette, just have a feeling thats who they'll go with. Focus needs to be on the youth being served before we can all walk ahead together as a winning franchise.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Random fact...three of the four teams in the conference finals each have a first year coach. All were recycled experienced coaches.
Straight from Uncle Larry. Odds are you're going to have a retread coach since most of the established teams in the NHL hire them and are afraid of risks. The bottom feeders are generally the ones most likely to allow new guys to get their feet wet.

Reactions: Vaheh and SA16

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Straight from Uncle Larry. Odds are you're going to have a retread coach since most of the established teams in the NHL hire them and are afraid of risks. The bottom feeders are generally the ones most likely to allow new guys to get their feet wet.

These small sample size looks are so dumb. Last year was Gallant (retread) and then Cooper, Bednar and Woodcroft, all in their first head coaching job and promoted from the AHL.

WhereO Is Kakko

Mar 24, 2022
Okay so me and two other fans picked Capuano.
Hear us out:

Gumba.
Knows the area (albeit, Longgg-eye-land).
Still active behind the bench.
Can’t beat that hair.
Gives good pressers.
The Long Game - Hires Vally as assistant, who replaces him as HC in 2025-2026.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Leach, Knoblauch or Brunette should be top 3. Laviolette is not inspired. The only cool aspect to Lavy is that he was actually a Rangers prospect for 4 years stuck in the minors. Started on the Denver Rangers - not exactly a quick call up. I remember waiting for him to come up and make the team. I believe he was on the same US team as Leetch and Richter in the era before the US used pros in the Olympics. But other than that bit of history he doesn’t have much allure for me. I get that he’s taken a few teams far. He has the experience. But I think the org needs a coach who can be here for a while. We need some stability and a coach who really instills a system and culture that makes the sum greater than the parts. We need Someone who makes almost every player better and more effective. We need to get back to the kind of system where players are actually more effective on the rangers than they’d be in other situations. For years now we’re a team where the opposite is true. But there was a time where players came here and they were better with us. We aren’t a situation where an Anton Stralman, Ruslan Fedotenko, Brian Boyle or Derrick Brassard come in and they suddenly thrive. Sum needs to be better than the parts…

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Hear us out:

Gumba.
Can’t beat that hair.
Gives good pressers.
Please no, the guy constantly looks like a drunk coming off a bender and his shirt collars always look like they’re a few sizes too big for his neck haha

Reactions: The Gloaming

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I asked chatgpt about the Rangers coaching search
It seems like you have concerns about the coaching decisions made by the New York Rangers and the track record of head coach Peter Laviolette. It's important to note that my knowledge cutoff is in September 2021, so I may not have the most up-to-date information on recent events. However, I can provide some general insights based on the information you provided.

Coaching decisions in professional sports can be complex and subjective, influenced by various factors such as team performance, player dynamics, and organizational goals. It's not uncommon for teams to make coaching changes based on perceived shortcomings or the desire for a new direction.

Regarding Gerard Gallant, while he may have had success in the regular season during his tenure with the Rangers, the organization may have had concerns about his ability to make necessary adjustments in the postseason or address player concerns. Sometimes coaching changes are made with the goal of finding a better fit for the team's long-term success.

As for Peter Laviolette, it's true that he has had ups and downs throughout his coaching career. Like many coaches, he has experienced periods of missing the playoffs or early playoff exits. However, it's important to consider the context of each team and season. Coaching performance can be influenced by factors such as team composition, injuries, and other variables beyond the coach's control.

The decision to hire a coach immediately after being fired can depend on a variety of factors. Sometimes coaches are sought after quickly due to their track record or perceived ability to make an immediate impact. Taking time off between jobs to reflect on changes is a personal decision that may vary among coaches.

Ultimately, coaching decisions are made based on the unique circumstances and objectives of each team. While past performance can provide insights, it's also important to consider the specific context and dynamics of the team in question.

Leach is a better fit for long-term success. According to Sullivan, Leach understands there is more than one way to play the game. Knoblauch is the same way. He changed the system to Hartford based on the players he had on the team. Instead of finding players to work in the system, he changed the system to adjust to the players.

These old guys are set in their ways.

Laviolette is the same as Gallant. The Rangers will going from one retread to another retread. When a team moves on from a head coach, they want something different.

Leach as head coach. Knoblauch gets promoted to assistant coach with a nice bump. Hire Ryan Huska as an assistant coach. Knoblauch handles the forwards and PP. Huska handles the D and the PK.

Laviolette will bring in his buddy McCarthy and management will pick the other assistant. Same thing with Gallant and Kelly. Murphy was on the staff. I know Murphy coached with Gallant in Columbus. He wasn’t fired last week. Gord was already in the organization. That Midgley guy was hired too. Same shit. Again.

Last edited:

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Have to think we start to see some movement on this now that Hartford is eliminated. Knoblauch, Leach, Laviolette all available and I think it will be one of them personally.

I still don't want Laviolette because of what it signifies, and I've made the comparison to Gallant before, but I've warmed slightly to the idea (coping, I know). Won the Cup with the Canes and had a great run with Nashville. It didnt work out in Washington, but they have also had massive injury problems over the past few seasons, not just last year. And I know he had problems integrating young players but it's also not like Washington's system has been flush with talent.

All that being said, he is still a clear 3rd choice for me of the 3. His agent is doing good work trying to scare Drury and the Rangers with interest from the Blue Jackets. By all means go to a rudderless Columbus team and safe us the angst, Peter.

Reactions: mas0764

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Saw a video of RBA coaching a few of his players’ young kids after practice. 2 days before an ECF. Resisting the urge to compare that to a certain former coach, I would love to see this org find a guy with that kind of passion for teaching the game.

MSL is gonna be the next RBA. Find the next one of those.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm surprised that we haven't heard anyone suggest Joe Sacco as a potential candidate. He had his initial coaching stint in Colorado for a few years where they had some absolutely terrible teams; he got fired right before they took MacKinnon and was replaced with Patrick Roy.

He pre-dated Drury at BU, but he did play with Mike Sullivan there since having Boston connections seems to be a pre-requisite for this organization. He had an unspectacular NHL career, but he still managed to play over 700 games after being a 4th round pick. He's been Boston's assistant coach since 2014-15 and has survived through the Julien, Cassidy, and now Montgomery eras. Haven't read into him more than at a surface level, but he has plenty of connections around the league to other guys we've discussed before. I was just more surprised by the complete radio silence around him.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I asked chatgpt about the Rangers coaching search

Leach is a better fit for long-term success. According to Sullivan, Leach understands there is more than one way to play the game. Knoblauch is the same way. He changed the system to Hartford based on the players he had on the team. Instead of finding players to work in the system, he changed the system to adjust to the players.

These old guys are set in their ways.

Laviolette is the same as Gallant. The Rangers will going from one retread to another retread. When a team moves on from a head coach, they want something different.

Leach as head coach. Knoblauch gets promoted to assistant coach with a nice bump. Hire Ryan Huska as an assistant coach. Knoblauch handles the forwards and PP. Huska handles the D and the PK.

Laviolette will bring in his buddy McCarthy and management will pick the other assistant. Same thing with Gallant and Kelly. Murphy was on the staff. I know Murphy coached with Gallant in Columbus. He wasn’t fired last week. Gord was already in the organization. That Midgley guy was hired too. Same shit. Again.
I’m for Leach and Knoblauch. They probably would get a vet presence though

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I’m for Leach and Knoblauch. They probably would get a vet presence though

Capuano, Blashill or Sacco (good call @Mac n Gs ) i bet would be the "Associate Head Coach" or something. Have to assume Drury will be picking from the USA Hockey pool given he's the GM there too.

On a related note, can we get back to drafting and developing USMNTDP players? Bobrov got us off that despite the team being great historically with those types of players.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I’d like Drury to take a risk but idk I just have a hard time believing he will with his ass on the line

I’m also wondering whether they’re seeing this years conference finals and saying “look at all the retread coaches, we just need to find the right one”

Reactions: McRanger92

Guyute

Sponsor
Feb 17, 2013

I wouldn't be surprised if Weekes is talking about the Rangers. Maybe Drury wants to bring in the semi-psycho French coach to get Lafreniere going and light a fire under Panarin's ass?

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I’d like Drury to take a risk but idk I just have a hard time believing he will with his ass on the line

I’m also wondering whether they’re seeing this years conference finals and saying “look at all the retread coaches, we just need to find the right one”

I keep seeing Knoblauch and Leach referred to as risks, but isnt Laviolette the biggest risk? If Drury hires him and they don't win before Igor's contract is up, everyone is gone. At least with Leach or Knoblauch, Drury can run the team his way and you change the "veteran team (which is not even true)/retread coach" cycle. The powers that be are not going to change the organizational structure if the Rangers see clear improvement with their young players and remain a playoff team with the ability to make a deep run. If this year's playoffs have shown us anything it's that you just need to get in, because every favorite is golfing right now, not just us.

Reactions: ponzu4u

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Hear us out:

Gumba.
Can’t beat that hair.
Gives good pressers.

Are we trying to pick top 5 at the 2024 draft?

Please no, the guy constantly looks like a drunk coming off a bender and his shirt collars always look like they’re a few sizes too big for his neck haha

I'm convinced this Capuano is straight up a fraud. Coach you hire to tank the season.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I keep seeing Knoblauch and Leach referred to as risks, but isnt Laviolette the biggest risk? If Drury hires him and they don't win before Igor's contract is up, everyone is gone. At least with Leach or Knoblauch, Drury can run the team his way and you change the "veteran team (which is not even true)/retread coach" cycle. The powers that be are not going to change the organizational structure if the Rangers see clear improvement with their young players and remain a playoff team with the ability to make a deep run. If this year's playoffs have shown us anything it's that you just need to get in, because every favorite is golfing right now, not just us.
I would agree but I don’t think this is how the powers that be look at it

I just don’t know if Dolan is going be jazzed about the idea of a rookie coach when he expects to win now

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

I wouldn't be surprised if Weekes is talking about the Rangers. Maybe Drury wants to bring in the semi-psycho French coach to get Lafreniere going and light a fire under Panarin's ass?

Roy would be a real home run swing. Massive risk but pretty high reward imo. Obviously a very successful CHL coach. Has also had plenty of time to learn from any mistakes he made as Avs coach (yeah folks, learning from mistakes is possible). The guy is a respected winner and might have the temperament to get through to our headcase stars. He certainly would bring some energy on the bench. Part of me also thinks Drury is "interviewing" guys like Babcock and Roy more to see what their take on the state of the Rangers is.

Reactions: 100Eyes

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I think a lot of what Drury says for the media and public is a smokescreen. Sure, saying that he doesn't know which direction to take for a coach sounds stupid, but he probably has a good idea behind the scenes and in his head. At the same time, saying asinine things to the media gives them and us nothing to latch onto. He's probably the most purposely aloof GM in the league.

From a hockey for dummies standpoint, if you failed to win with a coach who didn't know systems, the response would be to get one who does. From an organizational standpoint, unless he said that he doesn't want the job and is happy where he is, Knoblauch absolutely needs to be in the mix. You don't drag someone around who's been in your organization for a while and has had success but can't get a cup of coffee.

Reactions: McRanger92

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I think a lot of what Drury says for the media and public is a smokescreen. Sure, saying that he doesn't know which direction to take for a coach sounds stupid, but he probably has a good idea behind the scenes and in his head. At the same time, saying asinine things to the media gives them and us nothing to latch onto. He's probably the most purposely aloof GM in the league.

From a hockey for dummies standpoint, if you failed to win with a coach who didn't know systems, the response would be to get one who does. From an organizational standpoint, unless he said that he doesn't want the job and is happy where he is, Knoblauch absolutely needs to be in the mix. You don't drag someone around who's been in your organization for a while and has had success but can't get a cup of coffee.

To Drury's credit, the leaks very rarely come from the Rangers side of things under his watch. Mollie and Larry twisting in the wind with this baseless "Sullivan to Rangers" stuff is a perfect example.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
"Look at all the retreads succeeding" seems like a stinky sample when like 85% of the coaches are retreads.
Welcome to professional coaching, that's how it works.

Sure we can try a brand new NHL head coach.

Will we get the next Quinn or the next Cooper. My money is on Quinn.

For a young team on the rebuild i'm all for the new NHL coach, like Quinn (even though he ended up horrible), but for a team that's pretty much in a cup window, i'll take the vet coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad