Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The retread vs new blood debate is dominating the coach search a bit amongst journalists and fans. I would think it's moot really. Our front office needs to have a bigger vision than that. It needs to be about finding the right coach to instill system(s) and culture and can figure out maximize the results with the current personnel.

If you told me John Tortorella was the perfect coach for that and he was available? Great. bring him here. If it's Nate Leeman in Providence. Great, bring him here. If the ghost of Scotty Bowman (who is still alive) bring him here. I don't care. I just want the coach that can turn us back into a cohesive team with a great culture and a plan. Make us a program.

Someone brought the RBA clip where he's teaching the kids. I love that. Not because he's teh consummate teacher. But because taking the time with your players' kids is a meaningful thing for those players. It shows the guy cares about you as a human being. It builds trust, it builds community. It's honestly a breath of fresh air to see that.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The retread vs new blood debate is dominating the coach search a bit amongst journalists and fans. I would think it's moot really. Our front office needs to have a bigger vision than that. It needs to be about finding the right coach to instill system(s) and culture and can figure out maximize the results with the current personnel.

If you told me John Tortorella was the perfect coach for that and he was available? Great. bring him here. If it's Nate Leeman in Providence. Great, bring him here. If the ghost of Scotty Bowman (who is still alive) bring him here. I don't care. I just want the coach that can turn us back into a cohesive team with a great culture and a plan. Make us a program.

Someone brought the RBA clip where he's teaching the kids. I love that. Not because he's teh consummate teacher. But because taking the time with your players' kids is a meaningful thing for those players. It shows the guy cares about you as a human being. It builds trust, it builds community. It's honestly a breath of fresh air to see that.

Problem is you are going in blind with new blood. You don't know how they will coach at the NHL level compared to how they coached with kids or minor leaguers. Pretty sure we all thought we were getting something a little different with Quinn. He couldn't figure coaching in the NHL.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Problem is you are going in blind with new blood. You don't know how they will coach at the NHL level compared to how they coached with kids or minor leaguers. Pretty sure we all thought we were getting something a little different with Quinn. He couldn't figure coaching in the NHL.
That's true. The opposite is also true. Track record seems to provide just as many question marks -- at least with the available NHL coaches. It's the same questions but with different complications. Can Lavy implement a system that works for the vets and the kids? He alienated the Caps core, but what about his work in Carolina or Nashville? So, questions around whether or not he can properly handle the vet core on this roster which is perhaps closer to the Caps than that Nashville team is a real question. Point is, if the experience is eliminating your questions, then yeah, experience matters. But with the available pool of experienced coaches, it's far less certain.

It all comes down to who can maximize the roster and get us to a cup. I think you want a culture builder. And a guy who has ability to rethink systems on the fly. And someone who will defer less to the vets. We need the kids to take the next step or we are rebuilding in 3 years again.

So, I think I'd rather have a coach that feels like a wholisitic change. One that feels like a commitment to the long haul. To a culture. Or at least has that potential.

Tom Renney and Torts and Roger Neilsen were three coaches in my lifetime that installed a foundation that impacted the team years after they were gone. I want that kind of guy.

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 3

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Quinn was dog shit from a tactics perspective, and this gets glossed over because of the absurd talent he had at BU. Prior to that, his AHL experience was extremely mediocre.

I think the guys we’ve discussed that are “new” all have much better track records as AHL head coaches and NHL assistant coaches. This is why I like Leach. Everything suggests he’s an ideal candidate to be an NHL head coach, and I think it’s worth committing to him to let him get his process started. No more retreads with 2-year shelf lives. It takes longer than that for an organization to get a process started and in motion.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
what Vet defensive assistant is available? Leach would be all over it but it'd be nice to have some experience there. Martin is the obvious choice, if he's willing to still coach.

I'd be happy to fail with Leach-Knoblacuh-Vet D-coach.

Reactions: mas0764

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
If the team chooses Roy it will be yet another indication that they just don’t even understand the problem, at least in my opinion. It would be hiring a “hardass” to counter a “soft players coach” while missing the point that both are essentially motivational speakers vs elite tacticians. It’s different flavors of the same ice cream.

This is a guy whose claim to fame is having success in the Q. The Q. This team needs a harsh reevaluation of almost everything they are doing tactically relative to the best teams in the NHL. If the org doesn’t see this at this point it’s truly hopeless.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If the team chooses Roy it will be yet another indication that they just don’t even understand the problem, at least in my opinion. It would be hiring a “hardass” to counter a “soft players coach” while missing the point that both are essentially motivational speakers vs elite tacticians. It’s different flavors of the same ice cream.

This is a guy whose claim to fame is having success in the Q. The Q. This team needs a harsh reevaluation of almost everything they are doing tactically relative to the best teams in the NHL. If the org doesn’t see this at this point it’s truly hopeless.

Don't disagree on Roy, but what "elite tactician" is available? And not for nothing but with this many headcases in critical roles on NMCs, we might need a motivational speaker either way.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I don't think the bolded is really an issue. There are guys who have done well in the junior leagues have made the jump up to the NHL and have been great.

What worries me is what he was the FIRST time he was in the NHL. He had some of the worst analytical teams ever (perhaps the worst.) Took a budding core of Avalanche players and basically pressed them into a second rebuild, doing nearly irreversible damage.

He also left Colorado because he had issues with management. Kind of seems like everything we don't want here.

Now guys make changes and learn from failures and what not - but he doesn't really strike me as the kind of guy who will do that.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
I like the idea of Leach. Bring in an experienced offensive assistant who he meshes with.

And hire some new skills guys.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Thinking more about Roy, it would be beneficial in a few ways, Lafreniere, goalies, young players in general, he'd probably keep the lazy core in check. Not sure that outweighs his crazyness, but he might not be a bad option.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Cooper, Bednar and Brind'Amour are doing fine. Quinn was the wrong guy, getting the execution wrong doesn't mean the idea itself was wrong. But the Rangers may have to accept it is not competent enough as an organization to pull that move off.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Problem is you are going in blind with old blood. You don't know how they will coach the Rangers players compared to how they coached their former team(s). Pretty sure we all thought we were getting something a little different with Gallant. He couldn't figure coaching the Rangers players.
Revised it to show that we/they really don't know.

...the risk goes both ways.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Hire Roy...at least it will be entertaining watching Kreider and Panarin and Mika be a bit uncomfortable . Hell....he might light the fire under Lafreniere and Kakko/Chytil/Miller/Schneider/Cuylee/Othmann....turn all of them into nasty pro players . Give him a two year deal and hire Martin Jacques for the defense .

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Chris Johnston mentioned Drury is considering some of the young guys mentioned for the Rangers job. CJ said the Rangers already had the veteran coach in Gallant who was fired/mutual parting of the ways after just two years. He mentioned Babcock. However, Elliotte Friedman said he didn't think Babcock wants to come back in the league in a big market.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
No.

Throwing messier in there just kills any validity and this guy just throws shit at the wall.
None of these “insider” or “rumor” accounts are real. It’s been like pulling teeth to get info out of Drury and co. Some random shmuck on twitter isn’t gonna be more plugged in than the top reporters. Honestly, the best reporter for actual inside info for the Rangers has been Emily Kaplan.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
It really does seem like the 2023 Rangers are trying to do advanced calculus out there to generate offense rather than just crash the net and get some rebounds.

You can see it on the power play too. Zib shouldn't need to execute the perfect one timer to score. Kreider shouldn't need to achieve the perfect deflection to bank puck in at an impossible angle either. Panarin shouldn't need to thread a perfect pass through a defender's legs to make things happen.

It's cool when they do these tic-tac-toe sorts of plays, but that should be the exception, not the norm to score. When other teams expect these things every play, they're just not very effective.

Sustainable offense is generated by having layered waves of players driving toward the net, shooting low at the pads to get rebounds, and occasionally picking a top corner to keep goalies honest.

It's also generated by winning puck battles and having possession for extended periods of time to wear down the opposing D. There's just zero substitution for winning board battles and transitioning up the ice as a unit. And the Rangers honestly lacked that since "The Letter" went out, with the exception of the kid line... sometimes. Fox being an exception here too.
Yep. Getting to a puck along the boards first. Possessing it for a couple seconds. Then coughing it up. That’s not winning puck battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad