Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Does the NHL really want Quenneville coaching in a big American or Canadian market?
I would imagine if Bettman were to allow him (or Bowman) back, it could develop into "f*** around and find out" very quickly. The amount of backlash could be huge. Imagine if they did that, and then had to walk it back kinda like the Bruins did with Mitchell Miller.

Q might be a good coach, one of the best even, but that's just not worth the headache.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
I would imagine if Bettman were to allow him (or Bowman) back, it could develop into "f*** around and find out" very quickly. The amount of backlash could be huge. Imagine if they did that, and then had to walk it back kinda like the Bruins did with Mitchell Miller.

Q might be a good coach, one of the best even, but that's just not worth the headache.
People have short attention spans. They'll find something else to be outraged at after a few days.
I imagine if they do go forward with Q then they would have a PR campaign set in place and Q will have to do a lot to win people over, charity work and all that, but it's a lot more possible than people realize.
And as I've already mentioned in this thread, the outrage for Q is misaligned with the report. I agree that it is suspension worthy, but lifetime ban worthy is not fitting for what he did.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
People have short attention spans. They'll find something else to be outraged at after a few days.
I imagine if they do go forward with Q then they would have a PR campaign set in place and Q will have to do a lot to win people over, charity work and all that, but it's a lot more possible than people realize.
And as I've already mentioned in this thread, the outrage for Q is misaligned with the report. I agree that it is suspension worthy, but lifetime ban worthy is not fitting for what he did.
I mean the same report has players on the record saying everyone knew, of course Quenneville is going to deny it and "not recall" as someone who could have done something.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
While I think hiring Coach Q would be reprehensible, I would be "okay" with it IFAND ONLY IF Kyle Beach publicly said he didn't have a problem with it. I'm a firm believer in the theory that you cannot be more offended than the actual victim.

You’re gonna need more than Kyle Beach. Because he went on to do it to kids at a HS and at a college in two different jobs the Hawks wrote him sterling recommendations for.

He’s a serial predator.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
the circus following Q aside, I'd be curious to what he could do with this defensive group.

Maybe I'm wrong but he's good at developing defenseman. what could KAM and Fox become? help Trouba not be a caveman? Schneider and Lindgren?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
the circus following Q aside, I'd be curious to what he could do with this defensive group.

Maybe I'm wrong but he's good at developing defenseman. what could KAM and Fox become? help Trouba not be a caveman? Schneider and Lindgren?
We need someone who can develop forwards lol. With Shestyorkin we'll be fine even with captain cone. The problem this time was, once again, lack of scoring.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know some folks have mixed feelings about the potential of hiring Quenneville. Given the situation, I think it’s best the Rangers stay away from this. I have my opinions but am keeping them to myself. It’s a delicate situation and I really think it could tear the fan base apart. This goes beyond booing an opposing player that had a stalemate with the Rangers, or a bad hit/dirty play against one of our players.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Moral aspects of this aside, for which I think Quenneville is truly reprehensible, he’s simply just not worth the circus that’ll follow. If the Rangers want to use the plausible deniability excuse because the league will technically have to reinstate him first, giving them the green light to hire him, fine. Congratulations on exploiting the loophole with it. What’s obvious to anyone that follows the NHL is that them hiring him would put them under a constant microscope all season long and leave them prone to nonstop criticism. They’d essentially become the 2023-24 version of the Canucks in hockey media, which made the players lives a living hell and made it just an unbearable situation. It culminated with them trading their captain and a fan favorite, who then proceeded to embarrass them in a post-game interview. You think thin-skinned, pissbaby Dolan is going to handle that much negativity surrounding of his teams? Not a chance that he’ll be able to tolerate it all season. Why even bother risking bringing that much additional noise here?

That brings me to the over-inflated water balloon that is Peter Laviolette. Who the f*** in their right mind that has watched the Capitals these last 3 years could come to the conclusion that he’s what we’d need here? I’m hoping all of that smoke is coming from his agent trying to get his client hired, but he’d be an absolute disaster here. Three consecutive years of playoff failures where he can’t get his vets to buy into his “structure” (it’s a neutral zone trap and zone defense, really brilliant work there my guy) and find ways to integrate young guys into the lineup. Their defense sucked but he couldn’t find a way to use Jonas Siegenthaler who’s now a top-4 dman in Jersey. Hiring him would be great if you want to waste Igor’s last two cheap years while failing to do anything in the playoffs, leaving us stuck in mediocrity and on the verge of another rebuild. If that’s the case, just nuke it now and start it over, but actually try committing to a process.

If Drury wants to find himself unemployed in a year or two, then by all means, hire one of those guys or another fossil like Bob Hartley. Stop trying to cut corners and just commit to a process that puts your young talent in a position to succeed and transition the core for the next 5 or so years. They may even take another step back next year, but that would be fine if they actually had direction. Gorton’s impatience and Dolan’s stupidity is why they are where they are now anyways. Don’t make the same mistakes.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I know some folks have mixed feelings about the potential of hiring Quenneville. Given the situation, I think it’s best the Rangers stay away from this. I have my opinions but am keeping them to myself. It’s a delicate situation and I really think it could tear the fan base apart. This goes beyond booing an opposing player that had a stalemate with the Rangers, or a bad hit/dirty play against one of our players.

Yeah I'm just...out if they hire him. It's a dumb as f*** move from a "political" standpoint because of the scrutiny it will bring no matter what you wanna believe about the situation. The team will get raked over the coals from one side and then another side will turn it into a culture war talking point and the reality is most likely that Quineville will be a mediocre coach that has been passed by in the scheme of things and won't get the Rangers where they want anyways.

It's a dumb shoot yourself in the foot move and because Dolan is probably in the drivers seat on this it's probably what's gonna happen.

I'll be dammed if I sit around and cheer for Quineville and subject myself to the countless puff pieces to rehabilitate his reputation. There's tons of shitty people in sports but you don't have to go out and get the ones that everyone publicly knows are shitty

huerter

Aug 16, 2020
That brings me to the over-inflated water balloon that is Peter Laviolette. Who the f*** in their right mind that has watched the Capitals these last 3 years could come to the conclusion that he’s what we’d need here? I’m hoping all of that smoke is coming from his agent trying to get his client hired, but he’d be an absolute disaster here. Three consecutive years of playoff failures where he can’t get his vets to buy into his “structure” (it’s a neutral zone trap and zone defense, really brilliant work there my guy) and find ways to integrate young guys into the lineup. Their defense sucked but he couldn’t find a way to use Jonas Siegenthaler who’s now a top-4 dman in Jersey. Hiring him would be great if you want to waste Igor’s last two cheap years while failing to do anything in the playoffs, leaving us stuck in mediocrity and on the verge of another rebuild. If that’s the case, just nuke it now and start it over, but actually try committing to a process.
I don't give an S about what happened with the Caps but I don't know how anyone who listens to the Junks could get cised for Lav.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
They got the money. Just snag Dale Hunter or someone who should coach in the NHL that is in the WHL OHL etc.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I see a few people mentioning him...wasn't it reported that the Rangers were not interested in pursuing him?
news is out there that bettman is meeting with Quineville to discuss re-instating him and someone else (not sure how reliable) said they felt the Rangers were waiting to hear if Q was re-instated before they continued their coaching search, implying he was high on their list or first choice

Reactions: Bacon Artemi Bravo

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Whoever the new coach is:

Please make this team play more than the finesse style of hockey, add an aggressive tenacious style that can forecheck and score the dirty goals. Don’t be too predictable. Need to beat teams with more than 1 option especially if the finesse option sometimes does not always work. Need more a complete balanced team and that is where Drury needs to try to get those types of players but too many NMC on this team so doubt that happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad