Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Lot of public reports saying Laviolette is the front runner.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
While some players felt smothered by the micromanagement of former coach David Quinn, Gallant’s approach may have been a bit too hands off.

Initially, the space with which the veteran coach gave them to live their lives away from the rink and police themselves within the walls of the locker room was refreshing. But over time, the lack of personal relationships and limited communication between players and Gallant began to feel like a disconnect.

The next coach must strike the balance between the two extremes. It will be imperative to learn what makes individual players tick, lay out clear expectations and make sure they feel comfortable offering input, all without overstepping.

I just can't comprehend how a coach doesn't talk to his players. I wonder why the kids stagnated

Part of that will come through teaching, while another component will be challenging them with increased responsibility. Kakko was vocal on breakup day about his desire to move up in the lineup and play a more prominent role. It's time for him and Lafrenière, in particular, to get that chance, which Gallant was reluctant to try for more than sporadic spurts.

Imagine a coach, coaching. I know, I know... not a developmental league.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Quenneville and Babcock are toxic. Don't see the Rangers (the Disney of the NHL) going in that direction. Rangers didn't hire Tocchet when he was available.

Reactions: haveandare

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
I'm not advocating for Lavy, but I don't really give a crud about the retread argument. The one thing I'll say about Lavy is that many of his stops he stayed for 5 or 6 years. With very rare exception, that's about as long as the vast majority of coaches stay with a team. That's about as much stability as you can expect these days. Which says to me he can't be all that bad.

I've tried to read up on him just to see what's been said about him in the past. Seems like he might be a decent tactician. Still prefers team going north and playing a high pressure style. The knock on his teams is they aren't nec top notch defending teams. We have a very young team on the blueline with the exception of Trouba. And a great goalie. And a bunch of forwards that are only okay in their own zone minus Zibanejad and Motte if he comes back. (Goody is likely gone). I wouldn't mind if our new coach also could instill a D structure that was a bit more stout. The thing is Lavy is a 20 year vet. You probably can't ask him to take on a Jacques Martin type hire for your backend.

Lavy is also a bit feisty. He's been spotty with giving kids ice time. It just seems to me that coaches with legit job security give kids more ice time. You want to ensure the kids play? Don't demand 110 pt season and a cup appearance. But that's where we're at. I get that we're running out of time with our ramshackle vet core. But I don't necessarily believe they're the core to get us over the hump anyway. But you know we're running it back and therefore not really developing the kids outside of the odd kid who just immediately takes off because they're a good forechecker.

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
Quenneville was part of the coverup. He attended the meeting in May 2010 when it was revealed the incident had occurred. Aldrich was allowed to stay in his role because the Hawks president McDonaugh didn't any distractions. The Block report had pictures of Aldrich celebrating the cup win with the Hawks players and coaches. In July 2021, Quenneville denied knowing anything. A few months later, the truth came out and Quenneville was essentially fired by Bettman because Florida allowed him to coach after all of the information came out. Quenneville has been meeting with a some NHL official named Davis about what he did wrong. Are they teaching him how to be a human being?

It has not been that long. Will Bettman allow Queneville and Bowman to work again? Maybe he makes them wait for the next cycle of hires.

How many times does it need to be repeated that the extent of the seriousness of the accusations reported at the meeting was unknown? It's like you guys willingly are ignoring the other side to fit your narrative. We don't know how much he knew. Other people in the meeting reported it as an inappropriate relationship but not as full blown sexual assault.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Yea and after a week nobody in the media will care anymore. Now the dozen HF posters that will cry about it for the whole season is a different story.

On a different note, Lav at the top of our list?? God f***ing no.
Yeah having a coach that either lied to cover up a rapist or doesn't know what happens in his own room is totally fine. Not worth "crying" over.

AK 27

I shoot puck. Puck go in net. I score goal.
Apr 15, 2015
NYC
I feel like there are 4 tiers of coaches out there:

1) Dinosaurs that have coached their way out of the game (Babcock, Quenneville)
2) Guys who are still in their coaching prime (Pete DeBoer, Brind'Amour, Sullivan, Laviolette)
3) Newbies with pedigree (Keefe, Larsen, DJ Smith)
4) Contenders (Leach, Sacco, Brunette)

I wouldn't want anyone from tier 1.
Tier 2 would be my first option but I don't know who is obtainable in that cetegory.
Tier 3 coaches I don't think would do well with this current Rangers roster.
Tier 4, to me, would be like hiring David Quinn all over again.

So I don't know what the answer is. I don't want an older guy like Laviolette yet I also don't want a new guy like Brunette. Again, not with this current roster. Obviously I haven't solved anything here and I know it's more about the type of coach more than the coach's age / tenure. I'd just like someone established but who isn't set in his old, stubborn ways.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
How many times does it need to be repeated that the extent of the seriousness of the accusations reported at the meeting was unknown? It's like you guys willingly are ignoring the other side to fit your narrative. We don't know how much he knew. Other people in the meeting reported it as an inappropriate relationship but not as full blown sexual assault.
Let him resume his coaching career somewhere else.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
If the team is winning, Quenneville's involvement in the Aldrich scandal is a non-story. This is the nature of professional sports around the world. From a pure coaching perspective he is the best candidate.

Reactions: Shadowtron

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If the team is winning, Quenneville's involvement in the Aldrich scandal is a non-story. This is the nature of professional sports around the world. From a pure coaching perspective he is the best candidate.

I don't agree with any of this, even the latter.

WEEE! hockey is not the way to go. His teams have blown ass defensively. Even his prime Blackhawk teams gave up a shit load of scoring chances.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Laviolette is a boring hire but he wouldnt be available if not for the comical amount of injuries the Caps have had to their best players over the past 2+ years.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Laviolette is a boring hire but he wouldnt be available if not for the comical amount of injuries the Caps have had to their best players over the past 2+ years.

He did a terrible job with the hand he was dealt and basically scapegoated the young guys while still catering to shitty veteran players.

his biggest asset is that comparatively to some of the other names thrown around, he's kept his nose clean. That should go with out saying rather than being a requirement.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
He did a terrible job with the hand he was dealt and basically scapegoated the young guys while still catering to shitty veteran players.

his biggest asset is that comparatively to some of the other names thrown around, he's kept his nose clean. That should go with out saying rather than being a requirement.

He would not be my choice but also what young talent did the Capitals have to scapegoat?

zlev

Dec 21, 2015

the Caps were the scariest team going into the 2021 playoffs and they laid a big fat wet fart in them. he stinks. Gallant got us much further with less.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
the Caps were the scariest team going into the 2021 playoffs and they laid a big fat wet fart in them. he stinks. Gallant got us much further with less.

I'm not basing any decision on a playoff bracket that had 2 eastern Conference teams in the Final lol. And in 2022 they got beat as an 8 seed by the president's trophy winner.

Also Gallant didn't get us anywhere, that series against PIT was over until Igor woke up.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
I'm not basing any decision on a playoff bracket that had 2 eastern Conference teams in the Final lol. And in 2022 they got beat as an 8 seed by the president's trophy winner.

Also Gallant didn't get us anywhere, that series against PIT was over until Igor woke up.

ok so then what do you like about him? what playoff failure of his is your favorite?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
My checklist.

-5v5 X's and O's. Breakout/transition/attack needs to incorporate the entire team and tactics from 2023.

-Conditioning. Break them from the first practice in training camp. Tired of being soft and out of shape. ( hUr dUr I bEt tHeYrE iN bEtTeR sHaPe tHaN yOu! ) It has to start at some point. Watching Carolina and Florida really shows how bad we are in this respect.

Coach/Teacher for the young ones and even the vets. Be able to communicate why something is done a certain way. Correct mistakes but do not take away opportunities because of them.

Put the best roster/lines together that benefit the team.... not harbor friendships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad