Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I honestly doubt Q or Bowman will ever have positions in the NHL. I can't see the NHL taking all the risk involved in it and for what? They don't draw fans or interest in the game, it's a no win situation for the nhl imo, best case scenario it doesn't create too much negativity or it just creates a shit storm they dont need.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I know some folks have mixed feelings about the potential of hiring Quenneville. Given the situation, I think it’s best the Rangers stay away from this. I have my opinions but am keeping them to myself. It’s a delicate situation and I really think it could tear the fan base apart. This goes beyond booing an opposing player that had a stalemate with the Rangers, or a bad hit/dirty play against one of our players.
I want nothing to do with Quenneville. He not only helped cover up the sexual abuse on Kyle Beach, but he also gave a positive recommendation to the same trainer/coach who assaulted Beach, in which he did the same thing to other young athletes, which is despicable and reprehensible of both Quenneville and the trainer/coach. That, to me, is more than worthy of a lifetime ban from coaching.

When/if the Rangers hire Quenneville, they'll deserve every ounce of the negative backlash they get and I will hope they lose every game he coaches. I don't care what PR spin/horses**t the team spews out to justify the hiring; I'm not buying it. The team should stay FAR AWAY from that guy. I don't care who they hire, as long as it's NOT him.

It's time hockey/the NHL got away from its "old boys network" of hiring retreads and cronies of front office people.

Last edited:

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
I honestly doubt Q or Bowman will ever have positions in the NHL. I can't see the NHL taking all the risk involved in it and for what? They don't draw fans or interest in the game, it's a no win situation for the nhl imo, best case scenario it doesn't create too much negativity or it just creates a shit storm they dont need.
The NHL lives in its own world; I don't think they care about the negative publicity they'd get from a team hiring Joel Quenneville and/or Stan Bowman. They have no comprehension what goes on outside of it, judging by their dealings with the Hockey Diversity Alliance (talks between the two broke off last year), the mess with the Pride Nights, and suspensions, etc. If they can find a way to shoot itself in the foot, they will. The league is run by morons and dinosaurs stuck in the 1950s. It's no wonder why the NHL never gets anywhere with trying to grow its league/sport in general, especially in the United States.

The NHL doesn't think their s**t stinks. They get away with this, partly, because the hockey media (mainly the Canadian hockey media, who see themselves as the "guardians of the sport", instead of doing actual journalism), glosses over any negativity on the league, they all suck up to Gary Bettman. They are full of themselves.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I want nothing to do with Quenneville. He not only helped cover up the sexual abuse on Kyle Beach, but he also gave a positive recommendation to the same trainer/coach who assaulted Beach, in which he did the same thing to other young athletes, which is despicable and reprehensible of both Quenneville and the trainer/coach. That, to me, is more than worthy of a lifetime ban from coaching.
When/if the Rangers hire Quenneville, they'll deserve every ounce of the negative backlash they get and I will hope they lose every game he coaches. I don't care what PR spin/horses**t the team spews out to justify the hiring; I'm not buying it. The team should stay FAR AWAY from that guy. I don't care who they hire, as long as it's NOT him.

It's time hockey/the NHL got away from its "old boys network" of hiring retreads and cronies of front office people.
Quenneville was part of the coverup. He attended the meeting in May 2010 when it was revealed the incident had occurred. Aldrich was allowed to stay in his role because the Hawks president McDonaugh didn't any distractions. The Block report had pictures of Aldrich celebrating the cup win with the Hawks players and coaches. In July 2021, Quenneville denied knowing anything. A few months later, the truth came out and Quenneville was essentially fired by Bettman because Florida allowed him to coach after all of the information came out. Quenneville has been meeting with a some NHL official named Davis about what he did wrong. Are they teaching him how to be a human being?

It has not been that long. Will Bettman allow Queneville and Bowman to work again? Maybe he makes them wait for the next cycle of hires.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

HANK30

Tom Brady 4-3 in SBs without Patriot cheating
Hard pass...

According to USA Today’s Vince Mercogliano, one of the names he continues hearing is long-time NHL head coach Peter Laviolette. Multiple sources have told him they believe Laviolette is “at or near the top of the Rangers’ list.”

Laviolette reportedly conducted an interview with the Blueshirts last week and he also met with the Columbus Blue Jackets about their opening.

If Laviolette were to land with either team this would be his sixth head coaching job in his career. He’s also spent time behind the bench for the Islanders, Hurricanes, Flyers, Predators, and Capitals.

Reactions: haveandare

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
I know some folks have mixed feelings about the potential of hiring Quenneville. Given the situation, I think it’s best the Rangers stay away from this. I have my opinions but am keeping them to myself. It’s a delicate situation and I really think it could tear the fan base apart. This goes beyond booing an opposing player that had a stalemate with the Rangers, or a bad hit/dirty play against one of our players.
It would just become a huge distraction. Can you imagine the press conference if they hire him?

Reactions: Leonardo87

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I don't really feel like Lavy is a bad coach (Washington's lack of success lately has more to do with aging talent and lack of talent IMO) but not sure he's also what this team needs and the endless cycle of re-treads.
Then again it's tough to say "let's take an unproven coach and give him a team we want to contend for the cup"
I'd like some new ideas and faces but the NHL is often so conservative on these things I dunno if they'll do it

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
Quenneville was part of the coverup. He attended the meeting in May 2010 when it was revealed the incident had occurred. Aldrich was allowed to stay in his role because the Hawks president McDonaugh didn't any distractions. The Block report had pictures of Aldrich celebrating the cup win with the Hawks players and coaches. In July 2021, Quenneville denied knowing anything. A few months later, the truth came out and Quenneville was essentially fired by Bettman because Florida allowed him to coach after all of the information came out. Quenneville has been meeting with a some NHL official named Davis about what he did wrong. Are they teaching him how to be a human being?

It has not been that long. Will Bettman allow Queneville and Bowman to work again? Maybe he makes them wait for the next cycle of hires.
I think the NHL official you referenced is Kim Davis, the league's head of diversity and something else department. If Quenneville doesn't know how to be a human being by now, there is no hope for him.

Some team may hire Quenneville/Bowman at some point after Bettman re-instates them (I hope it's not the NYR). They'll have to deal with the backlash afterwards. The NHL seems to think time heals all wounds. Some wounds don't heal.

Last edited:
Reactions: Atax

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
the circus following Q aside, I'd be curious to what he could do with this defensive group.

Maybe I'm wrong but he's good at developing defenseman. what could KAM and Fox become? help Trouba not be a caveman? Schneider and Lindgren?
I don't think his record with defensemen is anything to write home about. We've talked about that as Florida's glaring weakness. Duncan Keith was a horse and absolutely coach-proof, and I can't say I'm impressed with the rest of their output.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I don't think his record with defensemen is anything to write home about. We've talked about that as Florida's glaring weakness. Duncan Keith was a horse and absolutely coach-proof, and I can't say I'm impressed with the rest of their output.

He won 2 Cups with Johnny Oduya and Michal Rozsival playing significant minutes in their mid-30s. Hjalmarsson also may have been the most underrated defensive defenseman in hockey during the Blackhawks dynasty. I think Q deserves more credit than he's getting for his coaching acumen.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He won 2 Cups with Johnny Oduya and Michal Rozsival playing significant minutes in their mid-30s. Hjalmarsson also may have been the most underrated defensive defenseman in hockey during the Blackhawks dynasty. I think Q deserves more credit than he's getting for his coaching acumen.
Don't disagree, but the question was about development. He won mostly with D corps made up of vets that were vets before either he or they got to Chicago.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Don't disagree, but the question was about development. He won mostly with D corps made up of vets that were vets before either he or they got to Chicago.

Fair enough. I also think development is on our players more than the coaching staff at this point. The new coach should provide the opportunity, but all the Kids have 3+ NHL seasons under their belts. They should know what's expected of them.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Fair enough. I also think development is on our players more than the coaching staff at this point. The new coach should provide the opportunity, but all the Kids have 3+ NHL seasons under their belts. They should know what's expected of them.
True, and it's never really on the head coach as far as fostering skills. I would like to see the Rangers invest more in that with their endless money but that's another story.

Part of giving them an opportunity is not just ice time, but building a system that fits the cards in your hand. That's one thing I would like to see improve.

We've built around Panarin and we don't need to. One of the unique things about hockey is that you often don't need to build around stars. It's not like basketball where your star can play 45 minutes.

There's more B+ guys on a hockey roster and you need to build around them to get the ball rolling. If you play the right way and get looks, opportunities to make skill plays will present themselves.

Kreider, Kakko, Chytil, Trocheck Miller, and hopefully Lafreniere are some of our B+ guys. That screams a board-heavy system that uses size. Panarin can get open and do his thing in a system like that if it works and he's willing.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I think the NHL official you reference is Kim Davis, the league's head of diversity and something else department. If Quenneville doesn't know how to be a human being by now, there is no hope for him.

Some team may hire Quenneville/Bowman at some point after Bettman re-instates them (I hope it's not the NYR). They'll have to deal with the backlash afterwards. The NHL seems to think time heals all wounds. Some wounds don't heal.
Kim Davis. That's it. Elliotte Friedman was discussing Quenneville has been meeting with Davis. How about calling the cops and not allowing Aldrich to get another job somewhere else? Or give Aldrich a beating first and then call the cops. Tell the cops he got hit by a car. Aldrich also assaulted a Blackhawks intern. Quenneville has daughters. I am sure he would have an issue with someone sexually assaulting one of his kids.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
That's the question. Defense is their weakness because they have roster issues. How much did he play in helping Forsling and Montour? Where would they be without them?

Seabrook and Keith were horses under his watch. A lot of players played above their levels

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
That's the question. Defense is their weakness because they have roster issues. How much did he play in helping Forsling and Montour? Where would they be without them?

Seabrook and Keith were horses under his watch. A lot of players played above their levels

Q would have Fox & Miller to build the defense around, similar to Keith/Seabrook. Personally I dont have any doubts Quenneville would be able to get a lot out of the roster. The only question to me is the off ice stuff with the Aldrich scandal. I still think its a distraction the team doesnt need but if Bettman reinstates him, someone will hire him.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It would just become a huge distraction. Can you imagine the press conference if they hire him?
Yea and after a week nobody in the media will care anymore. Now the dozen HF posters that will cry about it for the whole season is a different story.

On a different note, Lav at the top of our list?? God f***ing no.

Reactions: Shadowtron
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad