Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
ok so then what do you like about him? what playoff failure of his is your favorite?

Idk man I'm not making the decision. Just playing Devils advocate while we wait for actual news. At least he's taken 3 different teams to the Final and won once.

For the record, I voted for Knoblauch as the next coach.

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly
the Caps were the scariest team going into the 2021 playoffs and they laid a big fat wet fart in them. he stinks. Gallant got us much further with less.

You'd be hard-pressed to find an experienced coach that doesn't have a playoff stinker or two on his resume. There's no unicorn candidate that is going to have all positives and no negatives.

Reactions: Mandar

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Could be completely wrong, but Laviolette seems like another guy who's gonna bench Kakko for literally no reason, and play Panarin 24 minutes when he's having a howler.

A better Quinn.

Sadly I dont think there is a coach availbale who wouldn't do this. We all thought because Quinn was young and new he would #LettheKidsPlay, but it was the complete opposite because the veterans didn't respect him. With Leach, Knoblauch, Carberry, etc. its all speculation. My guess is we'll complain about how any coach uses the players. The critical thing for me is getting the 18 skaters to buy into a system they know works and can fall back on when the globetrotter shit predictably doesn't work.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
A houseplant could have coached those Chicago teams to multiple cups. They had such absurd depth it’s not comparable to almost any current team. Q gave a recommendation for Aldrich to work with children knowing, at the very least, he had inappropriate sexual relationships with players. Hard pass

Reactions: nsvoyageurs

OthmannOut

Jan 29, 2019
A houseplant could have coached those Chicago teams to multiple cups. They had such absurd depth it’s not comparable to almost any current team. Q gave a recommendation for Aldrich to work with children knowing, at the very least, he had inappropriate sexual relationships with players. Hard pass
"After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School.621 None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.622 USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting 64 a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.623 We gathered records from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks. Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021, which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about Aldrich and received favorable information.624 The Miami investigative report does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks.625 The University of Notre Dame declined to share information or records with us, other than to confirm Aldrich’s dates of employment at the university."

Last edited:

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
From the report,
Later on May 23, within an hour after the Blackhawks won the playoff game that secured their place in the Stanley Cup Finals, five members of senior management (then-President John McDonough, MacIsaac, General Manager Stan Bowman, then-Executive Vice President Jay Blunk, and then-Assistant General Manager Kevin Cheveldayoff), along with then-head coach Joel Quenneville, and Gary, met to discuss what had been learned about Aldrich and John Doe. Accounts of the meeting vary significantly, and the participants had limited recollections of the details of the meeting.

All of the participants recalled being informed that there was an incident between Aldrich and John Doe involving an unwelcome sexual advance, but, for the most part, the participants reported that they only learned about the incident at a high level—that Aldrich, a coach, tried to “get under the sheets” with John Doe, a player. Gary recalled telling everyone in the meeting what he said John Doe told him—that Aldrich was pressuring John Doe to have sex with him and that Aldrich told John Doe that if John Doe did not submit to Aldrich’s advances, he could harm John Doe’s career. None of the participants recalled being told about the type of clearly non-consensual sexual conduct that is described by John Doe in his lawsuit or was described during John Doe’s interview with us.

Bowman recalled that during the meeting, McDonough and Quenneville made comments about the challenge of getting to the Stanley Cup Finals and a desire to focus on the team and the playoffs. Several years later, MacIsaac, in discussing the situation between Aldrich and John Doe with another Blackhawks employee, stated that McDonough did not want any negative publicity during the Stanley Cup Finals. While there was a general failure to recall how the meeting ended, Bowman recalled a statement by McDonough, the most senior member of management in the room, that he would handle the situation. Regardless of who was, or was perceived to be, responsible for handling the situation, Aldrich continued to travel and work with the team, and participate in team activities throughout the playoffs. We found no evidence that any action was taken to address the issue until after the playoffs ended.

From what I read, it was brought up as an unwanted sexual advance/misconduct. Is it possible that they didn't know or weren't informed to the full extent of the misconduct? McDonough was said that he 'would handle the situation'. All responsibility should fall on him

It's way more nuanced than everyone makes it out to be. The org failed to get a hold of the situation and deal with it. I have no clue how this falls on the head coach. The Q outrage is way over done imo.

At this point, is it worth the circus?

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Operating under the "fierce urgency of now," I just can't see the Rangers hiring a newbie coach, as much as that is the course I would like us to take. JD and Gorts were fired because the rebuild was not progressing fast enough. Does Drury truly have enough standing to resist that demands, overt or covert, of Dolan and live with the growing pains of a first year coach? I don't think so. Sullivan is choice #1, but obviously that is not going to happen. Keefe is option #2, but with multiple coaching openings out there, can Drury afford to wait until Toronto gets their act together, something that have not done since 1967? Beyond door 3 in Laviolette and honesty, I think that very well may be the way the team goes. Not the choice I would make, but hey, I'm just a fan.

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
Andrew, I hope you post here. You’re hilarious and I’d welcome you as the new coach. Im sorry the NYR FO are lamewads.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
From the report,

From what I read, it was brought up as an unwanted sexual advance/misconduct. Is it possible that they didn't know or weren't informed to the full extent of the misconduct? McDonough was said that he 'would handle the situation'. All responsibility should fall on him

It's way more nuanced than everyone makes it out to be. The org failed to get a hold of the situation and deal with it. I have no clue how this falls on the head coach. The Q outrage is way over done imo.

At this point, is it worth the circus?
Of course they're going to not recall. There's no way to prove one way or the other.

I'll say again, either you have someone who covered up a rape or someone who doesn't know what's going on in the room.

Either way, not a coach I want.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Since his name is out there and linked to Calgary at the moment, I wonder if Drury has reached out to Alex Tanguay in any capacity. Former teammates together in Colorado, was an assistant coach in the AHL with Iowa for two years, and has been one in the NHL with Detroit the last two years. Friedman was commenting how he’s highly thought of as a really good offensive hockey mind, and I wouldn’t be shocked if Drury at least tried to talk to him in some capacity. I’m still surprised no one has mentioned anything about Joe Sacco with any of these other open coaching spots.

hackeyman

Jun 26, 2018
Year 1 of Laviolette seems like it would produce a better outcome than Year 3 of Gallant.
Let's move on from this kind of bullshit shall we. Now that we're here I think Laviolette would be a good choice but any choice that doesn't have a better outcome than year 1 of Gallant is a failure and Drury has to go ! No f***ing excuses or made up BS about what year 3 of Gallant would have been .

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
While I would prefer Babcock, there are other good choices I would be OK with.

What I do know is that Peter Laviolette is not one of them.

While I would prefer Babcock, there are other good choices I would be OK with.

What I do know is that Peter Laviolette is not one of them.

Last edited:

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Any chance the Canes dump Rod the Bod if they get swept?If they do,do we have real interest? I would have to believe so

bouds

Feb 9, 2009
This going to sound stupid, but man we've ran a train over Laviolette's teams in the past, feels that way anyway. Have no faith in that kind of hire, I know what I'm getting with him and it's not much better than what we've had.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
"After leaving his employment with the Blackhawks, Aldrich went on to work and volunteer at USA Hockey, the University of Notre Dame, Miami University of Ohio, and Houghton High School.621 None of the witnesses we interviewed recalled anyone at the Blackhawks providing a written or verbal reference for Aldrich to his future employers. When interviewed, Aldrich stated that he did not list any Blackhawks employees as references on job applications, nor did he ask anyone from the Blackhawks to vouch for him or make any calls on his behalf.622 USA Hockey reported to us that they identified no records reflecting 64 a reference provided for Aldrich by the Blackhawks.623 We gathered records from Miami University regarding Aldrich’s employment and found no evidence of references, whether written or oral, provided by the Blackhawks. Miami University published an investigative report on September 24, 2021, which stated that Aldrich did not provide references on his resume when he applied to Miami, that the then-head coach of Miami University’s hockey team received Aldrich’s name from the coach’s collegiate hockey connections, and that the head coach and others spoke to the University of Notre Dame about Aldrich and received favorable information.624 The Miami investigative report does not describe any references provided by the Blackhawks.625 The University of Notre Dame declined to share information or records with us, other than to confirm Aldrich’s dates of employment at the university."
Could have sworn I read that in the report - my mistake. Still don’t want him based on how we handled this situation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad