Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
It's hard to disown a team because of their stupid decisions because... a sports franchise it's not always the same people. If this version of the franchise makes a stupid decision its not necessarily a representation of the many different iterations or variants of Rangers. Players come and go. GMs come and go. Coaches come and go. Unfortunately owners don't come and go as often. I'd be very annoyed at the hire. And it would be a big put off. But just because this front office and ownership are a bunch of dweebs doesn't mean the entirety of Rangers existence needs to be blasphemed because of the stupid decisions of one iteration.

Now, have the Rangers over history made many stupid decisions? Yes. Do I sometimes wish I had discovered a different team first and became a fan of another team first? Yes. But can I stop being a Rangers fan because they're stupid? No. Because every once in a while they do something right and are enjoyable. It's like life, can't control everything that happens, even having control over things we think we have control over is all an illusion. But we gotta keep on moving. As fans it's the same thing, I think. At least when the puck drops it's just hockey. And I love hockey, as do we all.

That all said. Please, just make the right hire. go with someone who doesn't have a jumbo jet cargo hold full of baggage, hire someone fresh and hungry, and let's go win some games.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Can someone tell me who Cadbury is and why he is so coveted? I havent heard of him until recently.
1684892238332.png

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Can someone tell me who Cadbury is and why he is so coveted? I havent heard of him until recently.

Also any news about leach or brunnette? Or even knobby?
Carbery coached Saginaw in the OHL for a year before joining Jay Leach as an assistant with the Providence Bruin a few years back. The year after that, he was hired by the Hershey Bears to be their head coach, and they were very good under him, getting better all 3 years he was there. They were never worst then 6th overall in the league in his tenure there.

He has been Toronto's assistant coach the last two years and is responsible for their powerplay and working with the forwards. Toronto obviously has been one of the better offensive teams the last two years, and he’s known to be good at coaching offense. Their powerplay has been the best and 2nd best under him the last two years. He’s been a steady riser through the coaching ranks and has been looked at as one of the next head coaches in line over the last couple of years. If I remember correctly, he was going to get the Bruins job, but they decided to go with Montgomery. I’m still expecting him to go to Washington due to his ties with the organization.

Haven’t seen much else on Knoblauch and Leach. Friedman keeps mentioning the link with Brunette and Calgary because of Huberdeau, but no one is really sure what Conroy wants to do as a new GM. He’s also mentioned Kirk Muller as a candidate there, along with one other team who has reportedly asked to talk to him. I haven’t seen any confirmation for it, but I wouldn’t be shocked if that was the Rangers

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Freidman reporting the Rangers are out on Babcock, or at least that's what he's heard.

12. I don’t get the sense any coaching announcements are close, which is a dangerous thing to write at this time of year. Spencer Carbery is interviewing with three or four teams. A couple of teams have asked for permission to speak to Seattle assistant Jay Leach. Brad Shaw’s mystery team was Washington. And, the longer Nashville goes without saying anything, the more you have to believe GM Barry Trotz is, at the very least, considering options. It’s tough to tell with Mike Babcock. I'd heard he was out of both Columbus and the Rangers, but there are still reports he’s in.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Gallant has got to be in the mix for Calgary right? Veteran team with expectations, familiarity with Hubie/Weegar and he's the anti-Sutter. Seems like the perfect spot for him to take them to the ECF and get fired mid-season after that

tlk

hARry kane comeS homE
Jan 7, 2020
Yekaterinburg
While I would prefer Babcock, there are other good choices I would be OK with.

What I do know is that Peter Laviolette is not one of them.
Surprised you'd prefer Babs.
Liking him on past glories or you've got some more recent indication he's the guy for us?

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
An article on positive coaching; get better results when you're positive; who knew? Lol Some players like being yelled at. Obviously, this should go on a case by case basis:

2Leetch_94

Kreid Me A River
Sep 16, 2005
New Jersey
Does it matter, this new coach will get like a 15 game grace period before the majority of this board turns on him, just like every previous hire. Those 15 games include preseason.

Just buy a Gritty costume for the new hire and the fan base has to guess who's wearing it for the entire season.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Does it matter, this new coach will get like a 15 game grace period before the majority of this board turns on him, just like every previous hire. Those 15 games include preseason.

Just buy a Gritty costume for the coach and the fan base has to guess who's wearing it for the entire season.

What about the players that turn off the coach as soon as they are not happy. Like they have done with Quinn, Gallant and before that AV

Reactions: GENESISPuck94

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Freidman reporting the Rangers are out on Babcock, or at least that's what he's heard.

Yesterday, Elliotte said the Rangers are more advanced in their search than other teams. Anaheim will interviewing candidates at the scouting combine. Calgary is just starting.

This is a big week for Carbery. Apparently, he is interviewing with teams this week.

One of Columbus, Rangers and Washington will go first.

Jarmo went to Europe for the World Championships.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
players felt Quinn was too hands on and Gallant was too hands off.
The Rangers needed a hands on coach when they hired Quinn. Unfortunately, Quinn was hands on in the wrong way. If he taught team structure/systems this team may have won a cup with Gallant. Instead he was hyper focussed on stick/body position and the players hated it.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Yesterday, Elliotte said the Rangers are more advanced in their search than other teams. Anaheim will interviewing candidates at the scouting combine. Calgary is just starting.

This is a big week for Carbery. Apparently, he is interviewing with teams this week.

One of Columbus, Rangers and Washington will go first.

Jarmo went to Europe for the World Championships.

Staple reported Carberry already interviewed with the Rangers

Reactions: will1066

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Rangers get coaches like players. 15 years too late.

Lavs is going to bomb here.

I pray Drury doesnt hire him. Especially with so many young good coaches available. Its time to turn the page on the old guys. The league is changing and the young coaches are the ones leading it.

Cassidy and Maurice are about to be facing off in the Final. Both guys who got fired and rehired within 6 months.

Edit: I know Maurice quit mid-season (kind of an awesome move in hindsight tbh) but you get my point.

Raspewtin

Stay at home defenseman hater
May 30, 2013
gonna let you guys in on a secret

the "fresh new non-NHL retread" coaches are going to have the exact same problems and do the exact same things in the NHL

overplay grinders, don't play the kids, ice "safe play" traffic cones at the bottom of the lineup instead of skill, not bench the veterans when they play lazy, all that stuff you loved about Gallant you'll love about every coach.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Cassidy and Maurice are about to be facing off in the Final. Both guys who got fired and rehired within 6 months.

Edit: I know Maurice quit mid-season (kind of an awesome move in hindsight tbh) but you get my point.

I didnt realize how old Maurice was… he still looks so young. Always liked him as a coach. And it helps to take over a team that was supposed to be great and kow is getting ridiculous goaltending at the right time.

Cassidy i have no clue how he is getting it done. Wasnt he just universally hated in boston? He has a track record of success ij the minors, but his first two stints in the NhL were not that good. Granted VGK is just a good team in general. Though he probably learned a lot from his time in boston.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I didnt realize how old Maurice was… he still looks so young. Always liked him as a coach. And it helps to take over a team that was supposed to be great and kow is getting ridiculous goaltending at the right time.

Cassidy i have no clue how he is getting it done. Wasnt he just universally hated in boston? He has a track record of success ij the minors, but his first two stints in the NhL were not that good. Granted VGK is just a good team in general. Though he probably learned a lot from his time in boston.
Maurice still looks great admittedly, but he had hair once.

Every time I see the thread title, my brain goes to @Do you want ants .

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

This describes the Rangers quite well. We are a very good team that needs more of a structure and a kick in the pants than anything groundbreaking. We shouldnt lose sight of the fact that we have had 100+ point and a divisional playoff spot the last 2 seasons, even with our 5v5 numbers being shit compared to other contenders. The wheel doesnt need to be reinvented here.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
gonna let you guys in on a secret

the "fresh new non-NHL retread" coaches are going to have the exact same problems and do the exact same things in the NHL

overplay grinders, don't play the kids, ice "safe play" traffic cones at the bottom of the lineup instead of skill, not bench the veterans when they play lazy, all that stuff you loved about Gallant you'll love about every coach.

The Rangers are special. Pampered veterans who get their way when they don't like the coaches anymore. Every team that has tuned out their coaches get their way eventually, but the Rangers excel at this with the speed that they don't have on the ice. A couple of player exit interviews on breakup day and voila.

This team has a conundrum. They might want to go young coach, but that person, without "street cred," would not be an authority in the room. Go the way of an old-guard, battle-worn coach, the team will probably stagnate the same.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
This describes the Rangers quite well. We are a very good team that needs more of a structure and a kick in the pants than anything groundbreaking. We shouldnt lose sight of the fact that we have had 100+ point and a divisional playoff spot the last 2 seasons, even with our 5v5 numbers being shit compared to other contenders. The wheel doesnt need to be reinvented here.

I just dont think Lavs will bring that structure.

And we really need someone to get through to Laf and Kakko. Not sure Lavs is that guy.

Bc truthfully this team isnt winning jack all until laf and kakko, become who we thought we drafted or at least close to that.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
I just dont think Lavs will bring that structure.

And we really need someone to get through to Laf and Kakko. Not sure Lavs is that guy.

Bc truthfully this team isnt winning jack all until laf and kakko, become who we thought we drafted or at least close to that.

The new coach needs to play Chytil, Laf and Kakko in the top 6 and on the power play. If that means Kreider/Mika break up or one of the veterans need to switch to RW so be it. If the players don't like it, show them the door. Drury and Laviolette or whoever comes in just need to be on the same page n that regard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad