Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
I think the dark horse is Roy, with his connection to Drury. Good with youth and has head coaching experience and is a passionate intense coach that demands hard work kinda like Torts.

Reactions: McRanger92

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Carberry, Knoblauch, Leach all have connections through the AHL and Dave Hakstol. Just hire all 3
Someone needs to run the D. Knoblauch and Carbery are redundant. Carbery will probably get a head coaching job. He already has an NHL assistant job with Toronto. It's not a guarantee Keefe is he replaced in Toronto with a new GM coming into that situation. Maybe Carbery stays in Toronto as an assistant coach. Huska may not be retained by the new coach for Calgary or he may not want to stay if they hire someone else for the head coaching job in Calgary.

I think the dark horse is Roy, with his connection to Drury. Good with youth and has head coaching experience and is a passionate intense coach that demands hard work kinda like Torts.
Some teams are interested in talking with Roy. His team is still playing. Roy last coached in the NHL in 2016. He took a few years off and went back to Quebec.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I was listening to Dreger's podcast. He was saying Gallant is a possibility in Ca;gary because he has an excellent relationship with Huberdeau from their junior days and Florida. The Flames need to get Huberdeau on track. Teams look for the opposite in their next coach. Sutter was a pain in the ass. Gallant is the opposite. He lets the players do what they want.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
'someone told him'

I dont think anyone in the media really knows whats going on with the Rangers coaching search. From what I can tell the only candidates they've actually interviewed are Laviolette and Carberry. They are either waiting for someone (Sullivan or Roy presumably) or choosing between guys we know they spoke to. The rest is just speculation. Hiring a coach on Friday of MDW would be a classic news dump though. I'm not going to let it ruin my weekend either way.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017

Roy intrigues me. He is a character, a winner and has always demanded accountability. He's also got junior and NHL head coaching experience which is unique among the candidates. If he and Drury are on the same page as former teammates who went to war together, I dont hate it. Would also explain the holdup, although no coaches have been hired.

I also caught a snippet of the Memorial Cup coaches presser and twitter laughed out loud at Roy saying Seattle was only there because they benefitted from a lucky bounce. The Seattle coach was sitting literally an arms length away hahaha. He'd be entertaining at least.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010

Columbus is rumored to be the first team likely to announce their hiring.

Babcock is out:

Two league sources say that the Rangers did their homework on Babcock but ultimately neither side pursued this very far. It’s believed the Rangers weren’t sold on the tainted coach making his return to the league in the New York spotlight and that Babcock didn’t want that kind of scrutiny either, given he hasn’t coached since the Leafs fired him four years ago and multiple players have come forward with stories of how Babcock abused and degraded them during his two decades coaching in the NHL.

There’s talk that Columbus is leaning toward Babcock. But even if he doesn’t end up with the Blue Jackets job, he won’t be taking the Rangers gig.

Quenneville doesn't fit their timeline for hiring a coach:

Quenneville requested a meeting with NHL commissioner Gary Bettman once the playoffs are over, but that meeting is not a rubber-stamp approval for Quenneville to get back into the NHL after 20 months on the unofficial banned list for his handling of the Kyle Beach incidents with the Hawks in 2010. The timeline simply does not work for the Rangers, who could be as patient as possible and still be waiting for Quenneville to be reinstated by August or even later.

However, if the Rangers make a hire, the team stumbles out of the gate and Quenneville is approved as winter draws in… That would be an uncomfortable spot for a lot of people.

Keefe or John Hynes :banghead: . I wouldn't touch Hynes with a 10 foot pole.

Two coaches that currently have NHL jobs with the Leafs and Predators, but for how much longer? Kyle Dubas hired Keefe in Toronto and now Dubas is gone, likely headed to run the Penguins. Keefe could be headed out too once a new GM comes in, but if that process to replace Dubas drags on toward the draft and all other coaching vacancies are filled, the Leafs may not be in too big a hurry to dump Keefe without a suitable replacement available.

The Predators are believed close to making a decision on whether they keep Hynes, who replaced Laviolette three-plus years ago and hasn’t seen much success. Hynes also didn’t have much success coaching the Devils prior to that, so he might not be the ideal candidate for the Rangers. But he and Drury go back to their Boston University days, so he’s one to keep an eye on should Nashville make a change.

Carbury and Leach are considered:

The Leafs assistant coach has already interviewed with the Rangers, according to a source. He’s still more likely headed to Washington or Anaheim, two places he’s also interviewed, but if Drury decides to go with a younger, less-proven coach, Carbery is obviously in high demand for a reason.

Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported that the Rangers have received permission from the Kraken to interview Leach, who like Carbery is a younger coach with plenty of AHL/NHL assistant experience. It’s not known if Leach and the Rangers have spoken yet.

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Mike Babcock

Two league sources say that the Rangers did their homework on Babcock but ultimately neither side pursued this very far. It’s believed the Rangers weren’t sold on the tainted coach making his return to the league in the New York spotlight and that Babcock didn’t want that kind of scrutiny either, given he hasn’t coached since the Leafs fired him four years ago and multiple players have come forward with stories of how Babcock abused and degraded them during his two decades coaching in the NHL.

There’s talk that Columbus is leaning toward Babcock. But even if he doesn’t end up with the Blue Jackets job, he won’t be taking the Rangers gig.

This was a horrible idea.

Elliotte Friedman said last week he didn't believe Babcock wanted to make his return to the NHL with a big market team. He turned out to be right.

Babcock had support from people in the Rangers front office.

Laviolette is another bad choice.

Someone please save us.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Just reading between the lines seems like Q is their first choice but obviously up in the air he even gets back into the league. Not really interested in Laviolette but seems like he's the safe bet.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The latest update literally said that the Rangers weren't comfortable with Babcock.

Even if he DID have some support amongst people in the FO, they ultimately decided against it.

f***ing christ not everything needs to be so doom and gloom.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Columbus is rumored to be the first team likely to announce their hiring.

Babcock is out:

Quenneville doesn't fit their timeline for hiring a coach:

Keefe or John Hynes :banghead: . I wouldn't touch Hynes with a 10 foot pole.

Carbury and Leach are considered:

I'm honestly nervous they are looking at Lavi. I think he's an improvement on Gallant but I do not know if he gets us over the hump. By hump I mean winning a cup.

I'd force Sutters hand. Give him a fat 2 year check

HANK30

Tom Brady 4-3 in SBs without Patriot cheating
Elliotte Friedman said someone told him the Rangers could be moving to one of the teams which could be naming a coach soon.

Sounds like it’s Laviolette

Barring any shocking turn of events, such as the Pittsburgh Penguins letting go of Mike Sullivan or the Toronto Maple Leafs relieving Sheldon Keefe, Laviolette is very likely the next head coach of the Blueshirts.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad