Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I want the coach that will turn Laffy and Kakko into monsters. Not pretty skill players like Jack Hughes.

Is Roy that guy? I have severe doubts, maybe it's possible.

I would lean more to a Torts or Sutter though. Make men out of them. For a player like Laffy, the major component that's missing IMO is the 'hard work'.

Reactions: 100Eyes

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The idea that people think that yelling at this roster will make them very good is hilarious.

this fanbase is stuck in a weird emotional place where it’s “these losses pain me more than the players and I want a coach will avenge that for me”

It’s f***ing weird.
Drill Sergeants don't work?

It doesn't have to be yelling. It's about enforcing a standard. That standard has degenerated to an embarrassing level the pass year.

I would also like a coach to push our roster to be at peak physical condition. Not what we've been the past 2 years.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Drill Sergeants don't work?

It doesn't have to be yelling. It's about enforcing a standard. That standard has degenerated to an embarrassing level the pass year.

I would also like a coach to push our roster to be at peak physical condition. Not what we've been the past 2 years.

Hard to be held accountable for a system that doesn’t exist. For a strategy that doesn’t exist.

Are we gonna blame the fact our dmen couldn’t exit the d zone on the fact that this franchise hasn’t prioritized players thst have this skill set?

Or the fact that our “hard nosed” players for the past decade have often just been goons sprinkled into the lineup?

Patrick Roy being a lunatic doesn’t change a single problem we have.

Reactions: TominNC

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Hard to be held accountable for a system that doesn’t exist. For a strategy that doesn’t exist.

Are we gonna blame the fact our dmen couldn’t exit the d zone on the fact that this franchise hasn’t prioritized players thst have this skill set?

Or the fact that our “hard nosed” players for the past decade have often just been goons sprinkled into the lineup?
we're saying the same things.

We want someone that comes in and enforces a standard. I don't think our roster is perfect. But our coaching has been horrendous. Rob Brind'Amour would be the ideal candidate. Instill structure and have players at peak conditioning. It doesn't have to be from yelling.

Reactions: leetch99

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Roy would get unhinged here in about six weeks. The Rangers core would tune him out after tirade 3 by mid-November. The media would turn on him too.

Laviolette is the family friend or distant relative you've been seeing at weddings/bar mitzvahs/communions for decades and run into every few years looking fatter, more stressed, and just isn't that interesting to talk with. He's fine for a cameo, but on a day to day basis at this stage? No.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Roy would get unhinged here in about six weeks. The Rangers core would tune him out after tirade 3 by mid-November. The media would turn on him too.

Laviolette is the family friend or distant relative you've been seeing at weddings/bar mitzvahs/communions for decades and run into every few years looking fatter, more stressed, and just isn't that interesting to talk with. He's fine for a cameo, but on a day to day basis at this stage? No.
These weight comments make me laugh. Is the coaches weight really an issue? Dabes just won coach of the year. He is not exactly at 10% body fat. Andy Reid just won another Superbowl. Also not running any marathons.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
These weight comments make me laugh. Is the coaches weight really an issue? Dabes just won coach of the year. He is not exactly at 10% body fat. Andy Reid just won another Superbowl. Also not running any marathons.

It's more tongue in cheek with the fact that Lavs is old, tired, and stale.

Dabes is also a first time head coach and young/energetic in his late-40s. Like I just said in the NFL Thread, I'm hoping the Giants go 11-6 or 10-7 this season, but there is a very real possibility they take a step back given how brutal their schedule is. And we all know there will be a portion of "Nu Yawk" impatient geniuses who turn on them.

Reid has been fairly consistent the last 20+ years as a HC. He's also only coached only two franchises.

Lavs hasn't been out of round 1 since 2018. The Preds regressed when he ended there, and the Caps got worse each season and never made a playoff sent.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It's more tongue in cheek with the fact that Lavs is old, tired, and stale.

Dabes is also a first time head coach and young/energetic in his late-40s. Like I just said in the NFL Thread, I'm hoping the Giants go 11-6 or 10-7 this season, but there is a very real possibility they take a step back given how brutal their schedule is. And we all know there will be a portion of "Nu Yawk" impatient geniuses who turn on them.

Reid has been fairly consistent the last 20+ years as a HC. He's also only coached only two franchises.

Lavs hasn't been out of round 1 since 2018. The Preds regressed when he ended there, and the Caps got worse each season and never made a playoff sent.
I think the Giants have a very crazy schedule as you pointed out. It was rated tied for the 4th hardest. It my view it may be even worse but if they break up the season in to 4 game stretched and can stay close to 500 in the first 8 then I think they should be okay. Around 75% of NFL teams are near the same parity level. Injuries and luck can be the main differences. We have had so many injuries over the years. Hopefully the new turf helps lessen those. Today is Danny Dimes birthday. :)

Reactions: Roo Returns

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The idea that people think that yelling at this roster will make them very good is hilarious.

this fanbase is stuck in a weird emotional place where it’s “these losses pain me more than the players and I want a coach will avenge that for me”

It’s f***ing weird.
Nobody wants the coach to yell. We want the team to play as a unit at the penalty of ice time for not sticking with it.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
Nobody wants the coach to yell. We want the team to play as a unit at the penalty of ice time for not sticking with it.
I think the majority of people want the same thing. Some, including myself, have the issue that the guy at the forefront of that right now is Laviolette who everyone *thinks* is that guy, but his results over the last 9 years say otherwise outside of one run where Pekka Rinne went bananas to carry them to the Cup Finals. Trying to have a massive shift to low-event, safe, boring hockey isn’t going to help this team do anything besides get by in the regular season only to lose in the playoffs

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I think the majority of people want the same thing. Some, including myself, have the issue that the guy at the forefront of that right now is Laviolette who everyone *thinks* is that guy, but his results over the last 9 years say otherwise outside of one run where Pekka Rinne went bananas to carry them to the Cup Finals. Trying to have a massive shift to low-event, safe, boring hockey isn’t going to help this team do anything besides get by in the regular season only to lose in the playoffs

The Rangers at this point really need a theoretical and analytical guy to run the ship now. Someone to explain and break things down with substance. Gallant for better or worse is a "musician who can't read sheet music and knows no theory" or a "director who can't work a camera". Intuition guys sometimes work but not always.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
The shift to safe, low-event hockey already happened under Gallant. Our defensive analytics weren't the problem and the Rangers played some of the lowest scoring games in the league. We still couldn't get past playoff opposition with our broken offense. Gallant doesn't coach offense. He lets them just play. He's just the latest in a line of those coaches and it isn't working for this team.

Reactions: Atax

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Outside of Panarin, I would argue we still don't have the talent to just "go out and play."

The kids are under-developed. Kreider isn't an offensive star. Zibanejad sucks at 5v5. We don't have the horses to freelance.

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
The shift to safe, low-event hockey already happened under Gallant. Our defensive analytics weren't the problem and the Rangers played some of the lowest scoring games in the league. We still couldn't get past playoff opposition with our broken offense. Gallant doesn't coach offense. He lets them just play. He's just the latest in a line of those coaches and it isn't working for this team.
I know, and we both see the same issues with the team. Laviolette is the same way and isn’t gonna change that either. He’ll be great if we want to be boring and mediocre.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I reject the notion that the roster is fundamentally not a winner.

Maybe on the basis of ability, but the idea that your top players have to be Captain America is bullshit.

Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kane all have Conn Smythe's and none of them have ever broken a sweat without the puck in any zone.

And no, Ovechkin didn't do it for Trotz. Look at his defensive metrics in 2018. I did more for the Washington Capitals defensively than he did in that run.

The problem is that our whole team does whatever their skillset is with no cohesion. Not all of your players are going to be capable of it.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Drury isn't going to hire Roy. He hired Gallant, who seemingly had difficulty "managing up" in his previous jobs and Gallant took a sideswipe at Drury prior to his firing with that comment about wanting more work ethic, less skill. That comment might have cost him his job. It's amazing he still hasn't learned to keep those kind of thoughts to himself.

Drury is going to hire someone he can control, someone who will "owe" him in a way Gallant didn't as Gallant had already been established. Roy is a larger than life personality. He's not someone Drury is going to be able to control and if he gets feeling the way Gallant did where he doesn't love the roster or particular moves at a trade deadline Roy is going to speak up. Drury doesn't need that anymore. He needs an acolyte who will hopefully both be a good coach and sing the praises of his GM at every opportunity.

Reactions: UnparalledPark

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I reject the notion that the roster is fundamentally not a winner.

Maybe on the basis of ability, but the idea that your top players have to be Captain America is bullshit.

Ovechkin, Malkin, and Kane all have Conn Smythe's and none of them have ever broken a sweat without the puck in any zone.

And no, Ovechkin didn't do it for Trotz. Look at his defensive metrics in 2018. I did more for the Washington Capitals defensively than he did in that run.

The problem is that our whole team does whatever their skillset is with no cohesion. Not all of your players are going to be capable of it.
It’s not about defense for me. It’s about making things difficult for the other team. Ovechkin is a beastly forechecker and regularly destroys people. Malkin is a dirty prick but you have to be in the fray first before you can be dirty. Kane, well, I’ve got nothing there.

It’s very difficult to win playoff series, especially quickly, if you’re not dumping the puck and hitting people as soon as the pretty play opportunity goes away. The pretty stuff is going to work sometimes, and I want you see it as much as anyone, but you absolutely need to be able to adapt when it’s not working.

Drury isn't going to hire Roy. He hired Gallant, who seemingly had difficulty "managing up" in his previous jobs and Gallant took a sideswipe at Drury prior to his firing with that comment about wanting more work ethic, less skill. That comment might have cost him his job. It's amazing he still hasn't learned to keep those kind of thoughts to himself.

Drury is going to hire someone he can control, someone who will "owe" him in a way Gallant didn't as Gallant had already been established. Roy is a larger than life personality. He's not someone Drury is going to be able to control and if he gets feeling the way Gallant did where he doesn't love the roster or particular moves at a trade deadline Roy is going to speak up. Drury doesn't need that anymore. He needs an acolyte who will hopefully both be a good coach and sing the praises of his GM at every opportunity.
If this is Drury’s mindset we are f***ed.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It’s not about defense for me. It’s about making things difficult for the other team. Ovechkin is a beastly forechecker and regularly destroys people. Malkin is a dirty prick but you have to be in the fray first before you can be dirty. Kane, well, I’ve got nothing there.

It’s very difficult to win playoff series, especially quickly, if you’re not dumping the puck and hitting people as soon as the pretty play opportunity goes away. The pretty stuff is going to work sometimes, and I want you see it as much as anyone, but you absolutely need to be able to adapt when it’s not working.
Ovechkin was a good forechecker in the time of the dinosaurs. He was a floater by the time they won the Cup.

Malkin being dirty is useless outside of the 2 or 3 elbows he doesn't get suspended for every year.

Kucherov is another cow when he doesn't have the puck and over-passes when he does.

Gaborik had a huge Cup run after his prime in a system he didn't even fit.

Suggesting that you can't win with players like that is contrary to history. Let's not forget that the simplest explanation for our elimination was not scoring enough.

Your other players have to have a plan. That's what we don't have.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Ovechkin was a good forechecker in the time of the dinosaurs. He was a floater by the time they won the Cup.

Malkin being dirty is useless outside of the 2 or 3 elbows he doesn't get suspended for every year.

Kucherov is another cow when he doesn't have the puck and over-passes when he does.

Gaborik had a huge Cup run after his prime in a system he didn't even fit.

Suggesting that you can't win with players like that is contrary to history. Let's not forget that the simplest explanation for our elimination was not scoring enough.

Your other players have to have a plan. That's what we don't have.
I’m not suggesting that you can’t win with players like that. I’m suggesting that you can’t win when everyone plays like that, or when a whole line that gets a ton of ice time plays like that.

The Rangers simply do not play a style of hockey that will win four playoff rounds. I thought we were all in agreement on that.

It’s not about defense. It’s not about goaltending. It’s about what the team does with the puck and in the offensive zone when they don’t have it.

• Love
Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad