Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Priorae

Apr 21, 2017
New Jersey
Keeping the status quo was a problem, but equally this situation is impossibly brutal for any next guy. It’s not set up for success. Gallant is a very good coach and won.

I almost wish we would have just brought knoblauch up as a coach in waiting or something…but too late. It’s really an untenable situation. The next guy really won’t matter UNLESS they win the cup, which is an impossible ask.

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Hiring Lavy is an acknowledgement that this core is somewhat uncoachable. Or that Dolan and Sather are very hands on.

This is just bad.

I don’t foresee Lavy instilling a winning brand of hockey that will work in post season. I see him being yet another somewhat successful regular season coach who will coach to save his job and not to instill a culture and a program. Feels shortsighted by the GM.

Only bright side is fan expectations will be lower.
It would be almost like the Jets hiring Gase. Everyone knew not to do it but the management

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Not terribly surprised if it’s Laviolette, was always a dream scenario that Drury would go outside the box with his ass on the line.

Frankly Drury isn’t that good of a GM so maybe this is for the best. Him and Laviolette will be gone by summer of 25.

But who knows, maybe it works out and they win lmao

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
Peter Laviolette will bring Kevin McCarthy along with him to New York. McCarthy was on Paul Maurice's staff in Carolina when Laviolette was first hired in Carolina. McCarthy has been on Laviolette's staff in Philadelphia, Nashville and Washington. Gord Murphy will be on Laviolette's staff. Pete doesn't work cheap. The Capitals gave him a three year contract worth $4.9M AAV.

Late April or early May 2025. Who should the Rangers hire as their next head coach and general manager?
Dear God,

Well, it didn't work in 4 places maybe the fifth will be a charm.

I get it Lavi ex Ranger friends with Drury but come on, why the hold up if he's the guy?

Dragging it out making all of us think the Rangers were going in a different direction.

Personally, I've said multiple times I would have waited to see if Sully was released. Man, I hope we're all wrong and Lavi has the magic wand.

The day Lavi is hired the media circus will start with what ifs along with all of us.

I said it yesterday Lavi checks some boxes but there's no disappointed box to check off and I'm guessing that's where a lot of us are looking.

I'll be honest I lost track of how many teams Lavi has coached. Philly, Nash, Carolina and Washington at least he checks the experienced box.

HANK30

Tom Brady 4-3 in SBs without Patriot cheating
Can you stop posting this guy?

He’s not legit.

That's why I wrote it's FWIW, as in take it with a grain of salt. And that guy is hardly the only one pushing the Laviolette rumor.

Among the currently available names, the one who continues to come up in conversations is Peter Laviolette. His next NHL head coaching gig will be his sixth, but multiple sources believe he's at or near the top of the Rangers' list. He's also interviewed with the Columbus Blue Jackets, according to one person familiar with the situation

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I might have to seriously think about watching this team for the next few years. Incompetence at every level brings hopelessness.
This is where I’m at. They don’t make decisions I support, so why should I support them?

I’ll again reserve judgment until the appointment is made, but everything we’ve been hearing throughout this process has been very uninspiring.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Lots of drama queens in this thread before a hire has even been made. Laviolette compared to Adam Gase lol. I understand being uninspired if they actually do bring him in (I will be) but the guy has the most wins of any US coach in history and his name on the Cup. There would be far worse options

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Not terribly surprised if it’s Laviolette, was always a dream scenario that Drury would go outside the box with his ass on the line.

Frankly Drury isn’t that good of a GM so maybe this is for the best. Him and Laviolette will be gone by summer of 25.

But who knows, maybe it works out and they win lmao
Was David Quinn "outside the box" when we hired him? Fans often like there shiny new toys like unknown coaches and new draft picks right up until they get tired of them. I remember when this board wanted Trouba like he was Ray Bourque.

Reactions: McRanger92

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
The only retread I'd even entertain is Sutter. That's most likely not happening. I have my doubts that Lavi will be the coach. I do not trust Canadian media when it comes to reporting about the inner workings of the New York Rangers.

Leach, Knoblauch or Carbery. We need new blood.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC
The only retread I'd even entertain is Sutter. That's most likely not happening. I have my doubts that Lavi will be the coach. I do not trust Canadian media when it comes to reporting about the inner workings of the New York Rangers.

Leach, Knoblauch or Carbery. We need new blood.
Are you saying you'd take Sutter before Lavi?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Dear God,

Well, it didn't work in 4 places maybe the fifth will be a charm.

I get it Lavi ex Ranger friends with Drury but come on, why the hold up if he's the guy?

Dragging it out making all of us think the Rangers were going in a different direction.

Personally, I've said multiple times I would have waited to see if Sully was released. Man, I hope we're all wrong and Lavi has the magic wand.

The day Lavi is hired the media circus will start with what ifs along with all of us.

I said it yesterday Lavi checks some boxes but there's no disappointed box to check off and I'm guessing that's where a lot of us are looking.

I'll be honest I lost track of how many teams Lavi has coached. Philly, Nash, Carolina and Washington at least he checks the experienced box.
I'd like Sully myself BUT to say it didn't work for Lav in 4 prior spots is a bit of a reach. He went to 3 cup finals and won one of them. How many coaches can you name that went to 3 cup finals with 3 different teams in the last 20 years?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Was David Quinn "outside the box" when we hired him? Fans often like there shiny new toys like unknown coaches and new draft picks right up until they get tired of them. I remember when this board wanted Trouba like he was Ray Bourque.
People wonder where the next Cooper or Bednards are but GMs are terrified to give them a shot.

And Quinn was bad in retrospect. Same with the Trouba deal. You’re talking about these moves with hindsight. At the time situation was different

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
People wonder where the next Cooper or Bednards are but GMs are terrified to give them a shot.

And Quinn was bad in retrospect. Same with the Trouba deal. You’re talking about these moves with hindsight. At the time situation was different
I did not know much about Quinn so I was optimistic when he was hired.

In regards to Trouba I never understood why the board loved him, Brandon Pirri, Adam Clendening, etc so much. Trouba has actually been a better player than I thought. People wanted to give up so much for him and I was like why?

I do not think GMs are terrified to hire guys. All guys start out somewhere. Laf was a new guy once.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
David Quinn had zero NHL experience.

His ideas have not worked at the NHL level. There are some bright spots to his coaching, many have had their career years under him but he hasn't put it fully together. He could become a good coach eventually.

Leach is the one that stands out to me. He was in charge of their defense. Dunn broke out. They had a handful of misfits and put together a very strong defensive campaign. They were crisp in puck movement. Was VERY impressed with how they handled Colorado, especially game 7. Puck was coming out of the zone nearly instantly. This isn't because they have 6 Adam Fox's... It's because they had great structure and puck support which leads to very strong puck movement.

This is our biggest issue. The puck gets stuck in our zone. When we look at it in simplified terms, we need someone who knows how to get the puck out of our zone. Once that is remedied, everything else can be refined/fall into place.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
David Quinn had zero NHL experience.

His ideas have not worked at the NHL level. There are some bright spots to his coaching, many have had their career years under him but he hasn't put it fully together. He could become a good coach eventually.

Leach is the one that stands out to me. He was in charge of their defense. Dunn broke out. They had a handful of misfits and put together a very strong defensive campaign. They were crisp in puck movement. Was VERY impressed with how they handled Colorado, especially game 7. Puck was coming out of the zone nearly instantly. This isn't because they have 6 Adam Fox's... It's because they had great structure and puck support which leads to very strong puck movement.

This is our biggest issue. The puck gets stuck in our zone. When we look at it in simplified terms, we need someone who knows how to get the puck out of our zone. Once that is remedied, everything else can be refined/fall into place.
I'm willing to give almost anyone a chance. I have no problem with a "new guy" but I would not rule out a guy who has won in other places. Coaches eventually get fired. Scotty Bowmans reputation took a dip when he did not win in Buffalo but somehow he became a coaching genius again in Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad