Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Do any of you see Diva Panarin buying into Laviolette's schemes? That might be as funny as Torts and TDA.

I don't really see him and Laf as a good mix either unless Laf becomes Kreider in the gym this summer.

On the plus side, this bodes well for the trio of Cullye/Edstrom/Othmann.

It's a very conservative hire and him and Drury might both be booted together in spring 2025.

Maybe maybe Drury has a plan. we get Laviolette to force Panarin to want out, maybe Drury is trying to get rid of Panarin by doing this. It would be evil but very smart to get out of that Panarin contract.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Laviolette did coach the Flyers when they were a young team. So he does have experience coaching young players as they grow in the NHL.

However, not sure he's the right guy for the job here. Unless Drury specifically expressed that it's paramount to develop the young guys.

yet the flyers were and still are trash. Lavy was forced to play the young players bc they had to rebuild

Reactions: FlyguyOX

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
The thing with coaches is they are just like batters in baseball. They might come into the league, show great success early on, but the league will figue them out and expose weaknesses.

they either learn to make constant smart adjustments and they become one of the better coaches in the league or they end up with a ceiling. Lavy has def had a ceiling in his last several stops. His teams have been susceptible in their own zone. The only saving grace is that maybe you get a season or two where the league figured out how to adjust to how new personnel plays under said coach.

The home run choice is a coach who can adjust. Elite talent that can produce in the playoffs is helpful too.

I’m skeptical Lavy will make sense. But what’s clear? The vet core has too much power over decisions. And Drury is a very uninspiring Un creative thinker. He tries to be thorough but if he can’t be his own man it doesn’t matter. All that thinking is about picking the best lipstick for the pig. He needs to be a forward thinker. He needs to create a vision and a culture and stick to it. Right now he’s just a maintenance guy at best.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
yet the flyers were and still are trash. Lavy was forced to play the young players bc they had to rebuild
I was working closely with the Flyers when Laviolette got whacked. I was actually in the building the day there were emergency meetings going on. I was told by my contacts that management knew from the moment camp opened that they were in trouble. I think Lavy lasted three games Into the season.

Last edited:

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I was working closely with the Flyers when Laviolette got whacked. I was actually in the building the day there were emergency meetings going on. I was told by my contacts that management knew from the moment camp opened that they were in trouble. I think Lavy lasted three games Into the season.
Any chance you can get word of this to Drury before he makes this mistake?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
It was also the only year he got good goaltending. Varlamov was a top 5 goalie that year.

It was a season where they got good goaltending and his crack head decisions worked out despite being incredibly stupid.

Look at what happened to them in the seasons after. Avs literally went from one rebuild right into the next one and he had a hand in that

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

blinknyr182

Dec 16, 2017
Brooklyn
I would think that the unenthusiastic response towards Laviolette is reaching the Rangers front office and ownership. They listen and they have people listening.
the vocal majority hates everything they do that never stops them :laugh:
:laugh:
and seriously which one of these candidates is going to get a positive response from us? its a bunch of unknowns and one retread who isnt all that exciting but safe

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
obviously it’s not finalized yet but hitching your wagon to a guy who’s biggest claim to fame is winning a cup almost 20 years ago just…..doesn’t get me going lol

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Just trying to be positive. But they did have some darn good young players. Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier. 3 of those guys were the top 3 in scoring on the team in his last year coaching there. Shortened season due to lockout.

The year prior with Jagr, Hartnell, and Briere on the team, Goroux, Simmonds, and Voracek were still in the top 5 scoring on the team.

I don't want Laviolette to be the coach, but, looking for a positive, it would be that while he was with Philly he did get production out of his top young forwards. It took Couturier a little longer to figure it out and Laviolette was gone by then.

I'd still go with Leach.

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Lavi would be a really good hire

obviously it’s not finalized yet but hitching your wagon to a guy who’s biggest claim to fame is winning a cup almost 20 years ago just…..doesn’t get me going lol
Hes one of 4 coaches in the history of the nhl to take 3 separate franchises to cups. Its not just a coincidence. Guy can coach

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Nobody knows who is going to do well as a coach or who isn't. It's all a toss up. Everyone on here acts like they know but nobody does. There's so much revisionist history when it comes to NHL coaches it's nauseating. Right now Jon Cooper is the "guy" but in a few seasons when the Lightning's fortunes turn south (which may already be happening) he will be kicked to the curb and thrown onto the carousel until it's his time to spin off it completely just like the rest of them.

I'm old enough to remember when posters on this board would have given their first born child to have Dan Bylsma be the coach of the Rangers just because he was smart enough to yell "87" a lot during games and seemed like a nice guy on that HBO special. Now he coaches at Coachella.

Look at the list of Jack Adams winners. It's a coaching graveyard.

21-22 - Darryl Sutter - unemployed
20-21 - Brind'Amour
2019-20 - Bruce Cassidy - just **** the bed in the first round after the greatest regular season of all time
2018-2019 - Barry Trotz - no longer coaching
2017-2018 - Gerard Gallant - unemployed
2016-2017 - John Tortorella - unemployed
2015-2016 - Barry Trotz - no longer coaching
2014-2015 - Bob Hartley - unemployed
2013-2014 - Patrick Roy - not an NHL coach
2012-2013 - Paul MacLean - assistant coach
2011-2012 - Ken Hitchcock - unemployed
2010-2011 - Dan Bylsma - Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival

In what other sport do people who are regarded as the "best" at their position so frequently fail to hold onto said positions?

If coaching actually matters in the NHL (which I'm skeptical of) we, the public, are not in possession of enough information to accurately determine who is actually good at it or not.

Sorry to break your hearts.

Reactions: JCProdigy and SA16

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Lavi would be a really good hire

Hes one of 4 coaches in the history of the nhl to take 3 separate franchises to cups. Its not just a coincidence. Guy can coach

He’d be a huge upgrade from Gallant and Quinn and my concern is this. The roster. He always had skilled heavy teams that play a physical style of hockey. How will it work with a finesse soft team. Maybe Kreider will play a lot heavier now. As long as he still money in front of the net. Has Laviolette ever coached a roster one dimensional and just finesse style of hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad