Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2007
More and more interested in Roy. People learn and evolve. Reading on here I think too many people see a coach and what they bring as a static set of strategies, approach and ideas. These coaches learn and adapt over the years. Patrick Roy is the ultimate competetor and he is a champion. Its been quite a few years since we have seen him in the NHL. Some fire and passion is much needed around here and for all we know Roy is a much better, more professional coach after years of honing his craft coaching outside of the NHL.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
I'm willing to give almost anyone a chance. I have no problem with a "new guy" but I would not rule out a guy who has won in other places. Coaches eventually get fired. Scotty Bowmans reputation took a dip when he did not win in Buffalo but somehow he became a coaching genius again in Detroit.
Which one of these guys is Scotty Bowman?

Last edited:

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Dear God,

Well, it didn't work in 4 places maybe the fifth will be a charm.

I get it Lavi ex Ranger friends with Drury but come on, why the hold up if he's the guy?

Dragging it out making all of us think the Rangers were going in a different direction.

Personally, I've said multiple times I would have waited to see if Sully was released. Man, I hope we're all wrong and Lavi has the magic wand.

The day Lavi is hired the media circus will start with what ifs along with all of us.

I said it yesterday Lavi checks some boxes but there's no disappointed box to check off and I'm guessing that's where a lot of us are looking.

I'll be honest I lost track of how many teams Lavi has coached. Philly, Nash, Carolina and Washington at least he checks the experienced box.
Islanders
Carolina
Philadelphia
Nashville
Washington

Some guys are better in their 2nd coaching job like Sullivan. He coached a good Bruins team before the 2004 lockout. The Bruins came out of the lockout in awful shape. O'Connell traded Thornton to San Jose. Sullivan lost his job. Eventually, O'Connell lost his job too.

Cassidy was better in his second job with Boston. The Capitals were a tough job. Jagr wasn’t happy there. It was a mess. Ownership decided to trade everyone including Jagr to the Rangers, Gonchar to Boston and Lang to Detroit. Cassidy was fired.

The Rangers would be Laviolette's 6th head coaching job and it's the same tired act. He never takes time off to recharge his batteries and reinvent himself.

Carolina came out of the 2004-05 lockout in good shape with a $39M salary cap. They won. Timing.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
if you ever wander into the Penguins forum here they all hate Sullivan too

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Islanders
Carolina
Philadelphia
Nashville
Washington

Some guys are better in their 2nd coaching job like Sullivan. He coached a good Bruins team before the 2004 lockout. The Bruins came out of the lockout in awful shape. O'Connell traded Thornton to San Jose. Sullivan lost his job. Eventually, O'Connell lost his job too.

Cassidy was better in his second job with Boston. The Capitals were a tough job. Jagr wasn’t happy there. It was a mess. Ownership decided to trade everyone including Jagr to the Rangers, Gonchar to Boston and Lang to Detroit. Cassidy was fired.

The Rangers would be Laviolette's 6th head coaching job and it's the same tired act. He never takes time off to recharge his batteries and reinvent himself.

Carolina came out of the 2004-05 lockout in good shape with a $39M salary cap. They won. Timing.

Why can’t Roy be better in his second stint? The team needs someone to hold them accountable and can get the Kids going. You know he’s very familiar with Lafreniere from the Q days. If it’s between Roy & Laviolette give me Roy.

I still don’t believe they’ll go with a rookie head coach while locked into this roster

Reactions: EdJovanovski

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
I find it funny that when Sullivan was an assistant here, he was the number one punching bag on this board.
I feel like one of the only Rangers fans in existence that wanted neither Renney or Tortarella and both of those coaching staffs fired.

I liked both.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Laviolette would not move the needle at all with this team.

We don't need that.

I'd rather hire the extreme like Roy or Sutter which would either have amazing results, or terrible results. Go big or go home.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
I find it funny that when Sullivan was an assistant here, he was the number one punching bag on this board.

He's not that great of a coach. Crosby and Malkin are divas who need a psychologist/whisperer come spring. Look at Bylsma in Buffalo.

He looked smart/wore glasses and Pierre was his national hype man because he loves anything Pittsburgh.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
On Laviolette I don’t think this style of roster fits with his style of coaching hockey. Quick question for everyone. Has Laviolette ever coached a pure finesse soft team before? Didn't all of his teams have the players that had the grit heart work ethic in their game, that Rangers don’t have much of

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Do any of you see Diva Panarin buying into Laviolette's schemes? That might be as funny as Torts and TDA.

I don't really see him and Laf as a good mix either unless Laf becomes Kreider in the gym this summer.

On the plus side, this bodes well for the trio of Cullye/Edstrom/Othmann.

It's a very conservative hire and him and Drury might both be booted together in spring 2025.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
Lots of drama queens in this thread before a hire has even been made. Laviolette compared to Adam Gase lol. I understand being uninspired if they actually do bring him in (I will be) but the guy has the most wins of any US coach in history and his name on the Cup. There would be far worse options
My man. I compared the situation. Not the people. Making a post like this is how a select few run with narratives and shit on posters.

Personally, I don't care if they hire him. Hire a chimpanzee for all I care. In 3-4 years we can hire something else

GENESISPuck94

Sponsor
May 2, 2022
NJ
Laviolette did coach the Flyers when they were a young team. So he does have experience coaching young players as they grow in the NHL.

However, not sure he's the right guy for the job here. Unless Drury specifically expressed that it's paramount to develop the young guys.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Hiring Laviolette would make me feel nothing. Neither happiness nor anger. It would just be.

The coaching equivalent of drinking a glass of room temperature tap water.

That’s a good way to put it. Was hoping for some new blood, we failed with Quinn, but wouldn’t mind going after someone like Jay Leach or some other assistant ready to take on a HC position. Feels like another recycled coach who will not address the issues.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad