Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
He’d be a huge upgrade from Gallant and Quinn and my concern is this. The roster. He always had skilled heavy teams that play a physical style of hockey. How will it work with a finesse soft team. Maybe Kreider will play a lot heavier now. As long as he still money in front of the net. Has Laviolette ever coached a roster one dimensional and just finesse style of hockey.
This team is not as soft as you make it seem. Kreider, Trocheck, Trouba, Schneider, Lindgren, Laf, Goodrow, Mikkola can all play a more physical game. The reasons they lost is because they lacked the speed the Devils had, had very little structure to their game, and failed to make adjustments as the series went along.

Reactions: Atax

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
This team is not as soft as you make it seem. Kreider, Trocheck, Trouba, Schneider, Lindgren, Laf, Goodrow, Mikkola can all play a more physical game. The reasons they lost is because they lacked the speed the Devils had, had very little structure to their game, and failed to make adjustments as the series went along.

Outside of those you mentioned,Trocheck Kreider Lafy Goodrow Vesey up front, who else in the top 9 plays a consistent physical game. When I mean soft I also mean forchecking and cycling down low and being aggressive, not swiping with the stick instead of taking the body. Got to have some battle to the skill. Panarin Mika Chytil when do they do this. Need to be a much better forchecking team. Can a guy like Panarin do that if needed? This finesse nonsense has to end

Reactions: Boris Zubov

TheWrongWay

May 7, 2023
New York
They shouldn't be listening to us. They should know more and know what's better
I wish it were the case they didn't listen to us.

But keeping the average fan just happy enough is all they really need to do. Four to five generations' worth of fans. Fans aren’t going anywhere.

Ownership knows it.

TOR and NYR have won 1 combined Cup in the last 50 yrs. 99/100 combined yrs of not winning and these two teams’ values have skyrocketed to basically 2 billion US, I believe.

Winning a Cup is very difficult. Especially with Dolan at the helm. Keeping the average fan just happy enough is much more tenable, unfortunately.

I think they listen, but mostly for bottom-line reasons.

Kravtsov420

May 4, 2019
Nobody knows who is going to do well as a coach or who isn't. It's all a toss up. Everyone on here acts like they know but nobody does. There's so much revisionist history when it comes to NHL coaches it's nauseating. Right now Jon Cooper is the "guy" but in a few seasons when the Lightning's fortunes turn south (which may already be happening) he will be kicked to the curb and thrown onto the carousel until it's his time to spin off it completely just like the rest of them.

I'm old enough to remember when posters on this board would have given their first born child to have Dan Bylsma be the coach of the Rangers just because he was smart enough to yell "87" a lot during games and seemed like a nice guy on that HBO special. Now he coaches at Coachella.

Look at the list of Jack Adams winners. It's a coaching graveyard.

21-22 - Darryl Sutter - unemployed
20-21 - Brind'Amour
2019-20 - Bruce Cassidy - just **** the bed in the first round after the greatest regular season of all time
2018-2019 - Barry Trotz - no longer coaching
2017-2018 - Gerard Gallant - unemployed
2016-2017 - John Tortorella - unemployed
2015-2016 - Barry Trotz - no longer coaching
2014-2015 - Bob Hartley - unemployed
2013-2014 - Patrick Roy - not an NHL coach
2012-2013 - Paul MacLean - assistant coach
2011-2012 - Ken Hitchcock - unemployed
2010-2011 - Dan Bylsma - Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival

In what other sport do people who are regarded as the "best" at their position so frequently fail to hold onto said positions?

If coaching actually matters in the NHL (which I'm skeptical of) we, the public, are not in possession of enough information to accurately determine who is actually good at it or not.

Sorry to break your hearts.
Bruce Cassidy coaches Vegas my friend, and Torts coaches the flyers

Gordon Bombay

Built for the HFNYR Offseason
Oct 13, 2006
They know very little....Drury remains as our GM .Hard to figure why he still remains in a Ranger office . One Cup in 80 years I guess says it all . Quite a playoff record for an original 6 team to be proud of .
I think we're stuck with Drury unfortunately. He was up and coming and I believe he's a yes man, which gets you a lifetime job in this organization.

What aggravates me most about him is we see him once a year if we're lucky. All we get is cliche quotes from the beat writers. Show yourself. Get out of your cave and give us some kind of a clue as to what's going on with this team. Coach gets fired 2 days after he says he's going no where. Longest tenured guy with the team gets fired and you wouldn't have a clue if you didn't visit this site. He should have to answer to some of the bullshit that went on with this team this year.

We'll see him at the press conference for the new coach. Maybe. When will be the next time?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think we're stuck with Drury unfortunately. He was up and coming and I believe he's a yes man, which gets you a lifetime job in this organization.

What aggravates me most about him is we see him once a year if we're lucky. All we get is cliche quotes from the beat writers. Show yourself. Get out of your cave and give us some kind of a clue as to what's going on with this team. Coach gets fired 2 days after he says he's going no where. Longest tenured guy with the team gets fired and you wouldn't have a clue if you didn't visit this site. He should have to answer to some of the bullshit that went on with this team this year.

We'll see him at the press conference for the new coach. Maybe. When will be the next time?

Unfortunately, that's more of an MSG and their hatred (mainly Dolan's) of the media. Just look how much Sather and Gorton spoke while they were in their roles while Leon Rose with the Knicks also doesn't talk at all. If there wasn't league mandated access to coaches and players I'm sure MSG would try to limit those as well.

Reactions: Gordon Bombay

howztheglass

Jan 27, 2009
I'd like Sully myself BUT to say it didn't work for Lav in 4 prior spots is a bit of a reach. He went to 3 cup finals and won one of them. How many coaches can you name that went to 3 cup finals with 3 different teams in the last 20 years?
Very good point, I just can't figure out how his coaching goes from success to fired pretty much the next season, Kind of reminds me of GG. Maybe the players tune him out because of his style It does say something when you keep getting hired even though he's been canned multiple times. Love the clip of him getting on the Philly players but I'm thinking if that happened in NY which way the team would go--personally they need a kick in the ass, then if they response in a negative way maybe it's time to not only change the culture but also some of the players.

Happy Memorial Day to all.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The only place it really didn’t work for Lavi was Washington.

But that’s the most important because it’s the most recent. His caps teams were mediocre to just flat out bad.

The best thing any of them did was push the Panthers a bit before eventually being eliminated. Whoop-de-f***ing-do

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
There is no magic formula that if you do this..and this...and this, you are guaranteed to win. You can do everything right, and still lose. You can do everything wrong, and still find yourself in the Cup finals.

Every style, whether finesse, physical, or hybrid can win. Every style, whether finesse, physical, or hybrid, can lose.

Every kind of coach, a players' coach...a hard ass coach...a disciplinarian...a more relaxed coach can win. Every kind of coach, a players' coach...a hard ass coach...a disciplinarian...a more relaxed coach can lose.

Every type of captain, a rah-rah type...a lead by quiet example...a lead by physical, emotional example, can be successful, or not.

This is sports. There is so much unpredictability to it and nothing you can do can guarantee success. Even more so than life in general, sports are unpredictable with so much out of your control.

Drury has tried different formulas for being successful in the playoffs, from acquiring players who made us hard to play against to acquiring players with successful playoff pedigrees.

This is real life: it is not fantasy hockey nor a team put together in a hockey manager simulation game, or assembled by A. I. (I wonder how that would work?).

Personally, I would much rather hire a younger, up and coming coach than a retread. But a retread can win too. I've felt for weeks that in the end, it would be Laviolette. Not thrilled with it, but I can live with it. Yes, he keeps getting hired and fired. But if he were totally a disaster, he would not find himself being repeatedly rehired. He does bring certain strengths to the table. Is he the right person for us at this time?

Only time will tell.

Mandar

The Real Maven
Sep 27, 2013
The Tarheel State
Nobody knows who is going to do well as a coach or who isn't. It's all a toss up. Everyone on here acts like they know but nobody does. There's so much revisionist history when it comes to NHL coaches it's nauseating. Right now Jon Cooper is the "guy" but in a few seasons when the Lightning's fortunes turn south (which may already be happening) he will be kicked to the curb and thrown onto the carousel until it's his time to spin off it completely just like the rest of them.

I'm old enough to remember when posters on this board would have given their first born child to have Dan Bylsma be the coach of the Rangers just because he was smart enough to yell "87" a lot during games and seemed like a nice guy on that HBO special. Now he coaches at Coachella.

Look at the list of Jack Adams winners. It's a coaching graveyard.

21-22 - Darryl Sutter - unemployed
20-21 - Brind'Amour
2019-20 - Bruce Cassidy - just **** the bed in the first round after the greatest regular season of all time
2018-2019 - Barry Trotz - no longer coaching
2017-2018 - Gerard Gallant - unemployed
2016-2017 - John Tortorella - unemployed
2015-2016 - Barry Trotz - no longer coaching
2014-2015 - Bob Hartley - unemployed
2013-2014 - Patrick Roy - not an NHL coach
2012-2013 - Paul MacLean - assistant coach
2011-2012 - Ken Hitchcock - unemployed
2010-2011 - Dan Bylsma - Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival

In what other sport do people who are regarded as the "best" at their position so frequently fail to hold onto said positions?

If coaching actually matters in the NHL (which I'm skeptical of) we, the public, are not in possession of enough information to accurately determine who is actually good at it or not.

Sorry to break your hearts.
Did Torts get fired? Unemployed?

Mac n Gs

Drury plz
Jan 17, 2014
This is the rebuild. There isn’t going to be another rebuild.
Maybe I’m misunderstanding, but how could anything they’re doing still be considered a rebuild?

If anything, it seems like they’re going for it in the short-term window that Igor is still cheap and will worry about the consequences of whatever they do after that.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Outside of those you mentioned,Trocheck Kreider Lafy Goodrow Vesey up front, who else in the top 9 plays a consistent physical game. When I mean soft I also mean forchecking and cycling down low and being aggressive, not swiping with the stick instead of taking the body. Got to have some battle to the skill. Panarin Mika Chytil when do they do this. Need to be a much better forchecking team. Can a guy like Panarin do that if needed? This finesse nonsense has to end
Kakko also is good along the boards and wins plenty of battles for the puck. I have also seen Chytil do it plenty. Do I think they could add some more grind? Sure, but basically every team can. You are correct about the forechecking and cycling down low. It needed to be better for sure. It just seems like they couldn't get in the zone fast enough and the Devils defense cleared the puck quickly. They need more speed for sure. Panarin is not that type of player and if he actually scored a goal or 2 in the first round they would have likely won the series. They lost a 7 game series to a good team that was faster and had a better regular season. It's not the end of the world. They do need to address some weaknesses and hopefully the coaching change and upcoming roster changes will help.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Very good point, I just can't figure out how his coaching goes from success to fired pretty much the next season, Kind of reminds me of GG. Maybe the players tune him out because of his style It does say something when you keep getting hired even though he's been canned multiple times. Love the clip of him getting on the Philly players but I'm thinking if that happened in NY which way the team would go--personally they need a kick in the ass, then if they response in a negative way maybe it's time to not only change the culture but also some of the players.

Happy Memorial Day to all.
Well the last coach to win a cup for the NY Rangers was a 1 year "retread" so stranger things have happened. :)

Reactions: leetch99

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
This "team" is a bunch of individuals playing differently and without cohesion.

I just want a coach who comes in and defines and implements a system. Any system. Players needs to know where they need to be and also where their linemates are and will be.

That's my biggest gripe with GG and Quinn. The players look lost out there. Passes to no where, no set break outs, no set cycle or down low plays. Everything is off the rush.

Chalfdiggity3

Feb 4, 2010
NJ
Just listened to 32 thoughts from today. Friedman once again confirming that it’s gonna be Laviolette.

I’m tired boss.

eww hasn’t done anything worth a damn in 4 years. He can’t develop young talent and more of the same crap. Can’t wait to watch his dumb gum chewing all game as we continue to f*** the team up.

rebuild 2 coming in 2 seasons.

mas0764

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 16, 2005
You supported the biggest screw up this attempt.
If, in retrospect, that signing caused them to cut the rebuild short, then it never should have happened.

That’s stupid on their part though because they could have signed Panarin but still traded Kreider for a haul, traded Buch for a better package, traded DeAngelo while he still had value, etc, etc, etc.

The front office f*** ups go so far beyond signing a franchise player who fell into their laps.

Reactions: GENESISPuck94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad