Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

Who Do You Want to be the Next Head Coach of the NY Rangers?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
I like Keefe but his decisions and gameplan leave a lot to be desired

Similar to a Brunette. I don't mind playing 'open-rush' hockey but it can't be the only way.
Wide open hockey is rarely successful in the playoffs. Time and time again you see that the playoffs are a grind and teams have to adapt and be willing to not just play rush hockey. I don't want Keefe or brunette here personally, and keep lavy the hell away from this franchise.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
shop.profetkeyboards.com
The league is changing and the young coaches are the ones leading it.

Bruce Cassidy: NHL head coach since 2002
Paul Maurice: NHL head coach since 1995
Pete DeBoer: NHL Head coach since 2008

1685028157953.png

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Bruce Cassidy: NHL head coach since 2002
Paul Maurice: NHL head coach since 1995
Pete DeBoer: NHL Head coach since 2008

View attachment 712558

Im not over the moon about candidates like Laviolette but the calls for a young coach like it would cure everything makes no sense. I originally wanted Knoblauch but am cooling on him. Even the "younger" coaches everyone wants to emulate like Cooper and Bednar were with their teams for years before they broke through and won a Cup.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Im not over the moon about candidates like Laviolette but the calls for a young coach like it would cure everything makes no sense. I originally wanted Knoblauch but am cooling on him. Even the "younger" coaches everyone wants to emulate like Cooper and Bednar were with their teams for years before they broke through and won a Cup.

Well if there was a good veteran option Im sure most people would be fine with that.

The problem with Lavi is that he's a terrible veteran option.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Well if there was a good veteran option Im sure most people would be fine with that.

The problem with Lavi is that he's a terrible veteran option.

What constitutes a good veteran option in fan's eyes? I'm genuinely curious because Laviolette, Quenneville and Babcock have all won Cups but that seems to be held against them. They all have warts, which every candidate has. Which one can get the team on the same page and playing to their capabilities? Thats all I care about in a potential hire and I've reached the point where I dont really care who it is lol. Carberry seems like a wild card because he's the only rookie HC we know has been interviewed by Drury.

If Rod shakes loose, and those post game comments about "not getting swept" (lol) are not going to help him, they need to pull out all the stops to get him here.

Reactions: Pawnee Rangers

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
Drury is still trying to figure who the latest head coach will be?

The players felt Quinn was too hands on and Gallant was too hands off.
Sounds like the story of the three bears. Maybe the next coach will be "just right".

I still wouldn't count on Panarin buying in even if he he chooses the guy himself.

Goldilocks syndrome
Shit I posted the above before I scrolled to your post. Didn't mean to usurp your line.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
gonna let you guys in on a secret

the "fresh new non-NHL retread" coaches are going to have the exact same problems and do the exact same things in the NHL

overplay grinders, don't play the kids, ice "safe play" traffic cones at the bottom of the lineup instead of skill, not bench the veterans when they play lazy, all that stuff you loved about Gallant you'll love about every coach.
Not to mention the worst skating roster in the NHL by far.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
young coaches may be better for the younger players and better at adapting to the new game.

I wouldn't mind Laviolette tbh but he's also a 2-3 year coach. His teams usually are best the first few seasons but does he understand how to adapt? I can't blame him for this season, his team was decimated with injuries all season. It's not as exciting as a Leach IMO

We need new blood with a new look on the game.

Reactions: McRanger92

UnparalledPark

Jun 15, 2022
I don’t believe Drury cares about the age of the coaching candidate, it’s more how he can present Xs and Os, and how well he and Drury communicate. There is no sense drafting or trading for certain types of players if the coach isn’t going to use and somewhat develop them. Drury will want some type of input on who gets called up and such. Communication is the big thing, and that may tend to shift the scale towards a younger coach.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
What constitutes a good veteran option in fan's eyes? I'm genuinely curious because Laviolette, Quenneville and Babcock have all won Cups but that seems to be held against them. They all have warts, which every candidate has. Which one can get the team on the same page and playing to their capabilities? Thats all I care about in a potential hire and I've reached the point where I dont really care who it is lol. Carberry seems like a wild card because he's the only rookie HC we know has been interviewed by Drury.

If Rod shakes loose, and those post game comments about "not getting swept" (lol) are not going to help him, they need to pull out all the stops to get him here.

I don't think there is a good veteran candidate right now. I was fine with letting Gallant hang himself with his own rope at some point next season.

Sutter is the one I like the most (and he has warts, probably literally) but that wasn't happening. Think it's really about finding the guy who has the ones who are most tolerable.

Lavi isn't that. His Washington stint was horrible. I know that the unknown isn't always all sunshine and rainbows (Quinn being the shining example of that) but its a better option than whats known right now. At least the unknown may be great, most of the known is either terrible or comes with baggage that we just shouldn't be trying to take on.

Doubt Rod shakes loose but if he does, thats an easy pick for me.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
fake account.

I didn't see it but it wouldn't have happened this quickly if it were going to happen at all.

Also Larry needs to let the Sullivan thing go.
It was a notification from bleacher report so they must have quoted from a fake account then realized their mistake.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Still waiting on Sullivan, eh? He’d be among the best veteran candidates but outside of Larry’s dream journal there’s no reason to think he’s going to be available

Reactions: haveandare

savebyrichter94

Every Profound Spirit Needs A Mask
Sep 14, 2008
PA
Still waiting on Sullivan, eh? He’d be among the best veteran candidates but outside of Larry’s dream journal there’s no reason to think he’s going to be available
I always imagined his dream journal being about nightmares of getting beat up at the bus stop by a giant Torts

• Haha
Reactions: Profet

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Sure, Sullivan would be a great choice and if he were available, I bet Drury would pounce on him. But, Sullivan is not perfect either and plenty of Pens fans are critical of him. The perfect coach does not exist, all have warts.

I still find it unlikely that Drury will hire a first time coach. None of them have those darned warts yet.

I always say that the only person who can manage or coach a team that way I want is me. that is never going to happen. I don't expect coaches or managers to be perfect. That are so many ways to be a coach, all work, all fail.

Though personally, I have no issue with hiring a first time coach, I think, in the end, that we are going to end up with Laviolette. Maybe he will succeed, maybe not. But we can say the same about every potential hire.

To me, the main question is: at this time and in this place, with this team, who is the best potential coach? I'm not sure and I don't believe Drury is either.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
So if they don’t snag Sullivan, this will be the 3rd straight coaching hire where they don’t get their number 1 guy?

They wanted Montgomery over Quinn
Wanted Sullivan over Gallant
And this time Sullivan over tbd

Maybe this is the year they get their guy lmao

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Sure, Sullivan would be a great choice and if he were available, I bet Drury would pounce on him. But, Sullivan is not perfect either and plenty of Pens fans are critical of him. The perfect coach does not exist, all have warts.

I still find it unlikely that Drury will hire a first time coach. None of them have those darned warts yet.

I always say that the only person who can manage or coach a team that way I want is me. that is never going to happen. I don't expect coaches or managers to be perfect. That are so many ways to be a coach, all work, all fail.

Though personally, I have no issue with hiring a first time coach, I think, in the end, that we are going to end up with Laviolette. Maybe he will succeed, maybe not. But we can say the same about every potential hire.

To me, the main question is: at this time and in this place, with this team, who is the best potential coach? I'm not sure and I don't believe Drury is either.

One thing that concerns me with Laviolette how does he do with finesse soft teams? Most of his teams had a mix of skill grit heart and battle level. Rangers mainly do not have the roster for that type of style.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Elliotte Friedman was on the NHL Network. He said the Rangers have permission to speak with Jay Leach but he is not sure they have talked. He mentioned Laviolette with the Rangers, Columbus and Calgary. He mentioned Carbery spoke with teams this week. Columbus interviewed Muller. Elliotte mentioned Muller and Huska with the Calgary job because they are on the staff there. Calgary has Mitch Love and Gallant on their list. Travis Green interviewed in Columbus. Babcock is still a candidate in Columbus.

I still like Leach as the head coach. Knoblauch as an assistant coach. Hire Huska as an assistant coach running the D assuming he doesn’t get the Calgary job. They all have head coaching experience but not at the NHL level but they are all qualified coaches. Knoblauch was an interim coach for the Rangers during Covid.

Many years ago, the Avalanche had a young staff with Marc Crawford, Joel Quenneville and Jacques Martin. The latter had head coach experience in the NHL. They did a good job with that Quebec team and then Colorado team. Martin left to coach the Sens. Q left to coach the Blues.

zlev

Dec 21, 2015
gonna let you guys in on a secret

the "fresh new non-NHL retread" coaches are going to have the exact same problems and do the exact same things in the NHL

overplay grinders, don't play the kids, ice "safe play" traffic cones at the bottom of the lineup instead of skill, not bench the veterans when they play lazy, all that stuff you loved about Gallant you'll love about every coach.

this is probably true but i just dont wanna have to see Laviolette on our bench. he's just annoying to look at. he reminds me of Mike Huckabee for some reason.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Elliotte Friedman was on the NHL Network. He said the Rangers have permission to speak with Jay Leach but he is not sure they have talked. He mentioned Laviolette with the Rangers, Columbus and Calgary. He mentioned Carbery spoke with teams this week. Columbus interviewed Muller. Elliotte mentioned Muller and Huska with the Calgary job because they are on the staff there. Calgary has Mitch Love and Gallant on their list. Travis Green interviewed in Columbus. Babcock is still a candidate in Columbus.

I still like Leach as the head coach. Knoblauch as an assistant coach. Hire Huska as an assistant coach running the D assuming he doesn’t get the Calgary job. They all have head coaching experience but not at the NHL level but they are all qualified coaches. Knoblauch was an interim coach for the Rangers during Covid.

Many years ago, the Avalanche had a young staff with Marc Crawford, Joel Quenneville and Jacques Martin. The latter had head coach experience in the NHL. They did a good job with that Quebec team and then Colorado team. Martin left to coach the Sens. Q left to coach the Blues.

Carberry, Knoblauch, Leach all have connections through the AHL and Dave Hakstol. Just hire all 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad