Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BobClarkesfrontteeth

Feb 6, 2020
Parts unknown
I'm not sure if you actually watch the Leafs in the playoffs. If you did, you would see a lack of intensity, leadership, defense, grit. etc. They didn't get unlucky.
Defense and Goaltending last year was not an issue. The issue was pretty simple their top line did not score. That was Hyman, Marner and Matthews. One down 2 to go.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
As an Islanders fan I would be open to taking him back because I think we still need that 2nd big scorer along with Barzal.

Maybe something liek Tavares @ 10M for Nelson, Hickey and Komarov(that last 2 to even out the caphit)
Questionable how big of an upgrade Tavares even would be over Nelson. Looking at the 2019-20 season to now, their 5v5 stats are pretty much the same, 26g 56pts in 127 games for Nelson vs 24g 60pts in 123 games for Tavares. Tavares of course scores a lot more on the PP, and I do feel he'd be an upgrade over Nelson there, but how much of an upgrade will he be when not playing with Matthews, Marner, Rielly and Nylander? And how much of that would be offset by his scoring likely drooping while playing in Trotz' system? And the most important question, will he be able to execute the system as well as Brock?

I'm not saying he's definitely not an upgrade, but there are some question marks as to how big of an upgrade he'd be, and IMO, more question marks than I'd want there to be in order to justify moving Nelson and taking on Tavares' remaining contract, even at 10mil/year.

Last edited:

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Questionable how big of an upgrade Tavares even would be over Nelson. Looking at the 2019-20 season to now, their 5v5 stats are pretty much the same, 26g 56pts in 127 games for Nelson vs 24g 60pts in 123 games for Tavares. Tavares of course scores a lot more on the PP, and I do feel he'd be an upgrade over Nelson there, but how much of an upgrade will he be when not playing with Matthews, Marner, Rielly and Nylander? And how of that would be offset by his scoring likely drooping while playing in Trotz' system? And the most important question, will he be able to execute the system as well as Brock?

I'm not saying he's definitely not an upgrade, but there are some question marks as to how big of an upgrade he'd be, and IMO, more question marks than I'd want there to be in order to justify moving Nelson and taking on Tavares' remaining contract, even at 10mil/year.
Brock's skating is superior, and will continue to be.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Is the leadership really that good in Toronto that getting rid of Tavares would be unthinkable? Dude didn’t really get much done on the Island either.

Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
His deal is bad and and he isn't really what the Leafs need, but is it bad enough to trade for Karlsson or the Predators forwards or something? Seems like they'd prefer just keeping Tavares. Trouba getting traded to a Canadian team would be hilarious.
Carey Price? Steve Simmons had an article other week Price wanted out of Montreal. Habs need scoring. If Leafs had Price last year likely win a Cup. He is outstanding in playoffs.

Dynamite Time

Where Is My Mind?
Jan 23, 2018
Austin, TX
I wouldn’t mind a move involving Benn and Lindell for Taveres plus what is needed to fit salary cap but it won’t happen.

All three of them have 4 years left on their contracts as well as a NMC so it won’t happen but would be interesting.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He's 31 and has 52 points in his last 60 games. Yes, he's overpaid but why are people discussing giving him away for anything they can? This forum is hysteria personified.
cap space is an asset and as a Leaf fan i'd take futures back in a trade for him if that's the best offer without taking back cap dumps at the end of this season to regain his 11m cap hit

JT has always been over rated and i don't to pay 11m per for a guy who basically is good on the draw and then only produces by vulturing around the net ,

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
His deal is bad and and he isn't really what the Leafs need, but is it bad enough to trade for Karlsson or the Predators forwards or something? Seems like they'd prefer just keeping Tavares. Trouba getting traded to a Canadian team would be hilarious.
None. Tavares = NMC.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Tavares has absolutely done his job since arriving in Toronto. They wanted a point producing, goal scoring leader to create a 1-2 punch down the middle with Matthews.

As a Leaf Tavares has set career highs in points (88) and goals (47), and is the team captain. And the team's 1-2 centers are among the absolute best in the league with him and Matthews.

You can say the cap should be more evenly allocated. But Tavares has been worth every penny so far, and there's no reason to believe the Leafs management wants to move him, let alone dump him. The suggestion is bonkers.

Reactions: The90

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I'm not sure if you actually watch the Leafs in the playoffs. If you did, you would see a lack of intensity, leadership, defense, grit. etc. They didn't get unlucky.
You did a nice job of showing us that YOU were the one not watching. Aside from game 7 and Carey Price, it was all leafs last year. Yeah they didn’t produce, but they did play well.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
If the Leafs retain to match Myers $6 million going back I would do this:

To Vancouver: Tavares (retained) and 2023 3rd round pick

To Toronto: Myers, Sutter, Petan, 2023 5th round pick

Then:

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Garland Horvat Hoglander
Pearson Tavares Podkolzin
Motte Lammikko Dickinson

Sneaky. You’ve just submitted one of the very worst trade proposals I’ve ever seen on this site.

A nearly PPG, 2C in Tavares… retained + a third for the very awful Myers contact, two NHL nobodies and a 5th rounder….

Can Toronto add Nylander and Sandin to this? Maybe a few unprotected 1sts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad