Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
As a Islander fan, boy we dodged a bullet. I'm not saying he can't play, I just think if we had that contract we wouldn't hve gotten any discounts on players like Barzal, Pelech, Pulock, etc. Our team would look like the T..............Never mind.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
As a Islander fan, boy we dodged a bullet. I'm not saying he can't play, I just think if we had that contract we wouldn't hve gotten any discounts on players like Barzal, Pelech, Pulock, etc. Our team would look like the T..............Never mind.

I think the Islanders are a team built for the playoffs with the depth you guys have, but getting in was always a bit of a problem.
Having a 1-2 punch of Barzal-Tavares would have made it a bit easier, but that depth you got for the $11million absolutely wrecks teams in the playoffs.

Reactions: MattMartin

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I think the Islanders are a team built for the playoffs with the depth you guys have, but getting in was always a bit of a problem.
Having a 1-2 punch of Barzal-Tavares would have made it a bit easier, but that depth you got for the $11million absolutely wrecks teams in the playoffs.

gonna be a dogfight to get in the playoffs for sure. Like just about every year, comes down to staying healthy and the men between the pipes

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I strangely think Tavares to the Bruins makes sense. Get a Krejci replacement on the 2nd line to play with Hall.

They likely have the depth pieces to make it work.

But yeah.. another 1st round matchup against the Bruins with their former captain would be an absolute nightmare.

Reactions: CupHolders

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
A Toews for Tavaras swap makes sense to me.

Toews is 2C and takes on a heavy defensive role. Off the books after next season, if not sooner. Toronto uses the newfound money to bolster the lineup.

Tavaras takes over 1C in Chicago and Chicago can rebuild around him. Kane takes a discount to stay.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006

With the Isles current cap and lineup they can ice Barzal, Nelson and Pageau as 1-2-3.

While better talent ordinarily wins out as you progress in the playoffs… Nelson and Pageau have shown they can produce. I still prefer the current cap allocation vs. just Barzal and Tavares.

IMO, loosing Tavares’ production has not hurt the Isles chances as much as not getting Panarin with their current center lineup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
With the Isles current cap and lineup they can ice Barzal, Nelson and Pageau as 1-2-3.

While better talent ordinarily wins out as you progress in the playoffs… Nelson and Pageau have shown they can produce. I still prefer the current cap allocation vs. just Barzal and Tavares.

IMO, loosing Tavares’ production has not hurt the Isles chances as much as not getting Panarin with their current center lineup.
I'm an Oiler fan, so believe me.

I know how far 'bad depth' gets us in the playoffs.

We gave you Eberle and Barzal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad