Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TS Quint

Stop writing “I mean” in your posts.
Sep 8, 2012
If Tavares didn’t have an NMC, he could return good value.

But, he does. The best years of his contract have been paid out, and he would limit where he goes pretty strictly, I suspect.

Only team that really makes sense, IMO, is San Jose for one of their big contracts. But don’t think that makes sense for Toronto. They should just hold onto him. He’s overpaid and not the perfect fit for them but he’s a very good player who would be way too hard to move.
If he was going to waive the only team that really makes sense is the Sens. They have the cap space and he wouldn’t have to leave Ontario. Get er done!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
I dunn

I dunno. He looks pretty cooked to me. He's certainly not getting 200 points in his next 200 games. He cant skate and looks checked out. Sadly, he's not even the Leafs worst $11 million player. Marner just spins around and gets flung on his ass.
LOL. I had a good chortle.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Since joining the Leafs, he's 12th in scoring overall among all centers in the league. 4 points back of Zibanejad and 6 points back of Point. None of the 11C that produced more than him have signed for under 8.4M in the last 3 years.

Are Point and Zibby also 2.5M and 1.5M overpaid, with the bar set at 7M ? Or is that 4-6 points gap they have worth the extra salary they are being paid ? Not to mention the tax break Point gets, being in Florida.

McDavid 12.5
Draisaitl 8.5 (Signed before he broke out)
Mackinnon 6.3 (signed before he broke out)
Scheifele 6.1 (signed before he broke out)
Barkov 10
Matthews 11.6
Aho 8.4
Crosby 8.7
Point 9.5
Stamkos 8.5
Zibanejad 8.5

because he is the captain. Is there any proof that they were going to hand the captaincy over to Matthews? Doubt it.

On the open market I don’t think he’d have a problem getting 9.5-10 million, today.

How much do you think he should get paid?

See bolded numbers above if you have a shrewd, skilled GM trying to balance the cap and win the Cup. But, its the Leafs and Dubas, so ...........

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
While Tavares is not worth 11 million, that’s not the issue. The issue is they signed Johnny T before locking up Marner & Matthews for 8 years and for friendlier amounts which was on the table before John arrived.

IMO signing John @ 11m, playing him with Marner for a year and then signing Mitch was an amateur mistake. What did Toronto think? Mitch was gonna have a worse year playing with John - the guy exploded and fleeced Toronto for 10.5m. You have to be really dumb, sorry Dubas, to not see that one coming. Worse, then they could only get Matthews for 6 years and shortened the cup window by 2 years while being handcuffed by the cap. Shanny really messed this one up after a GREAT start here.
Leafs got Matthews for only 5 years actually. While getting the 2nd highest AAV in the league.

What a joke

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
There is no chance Tavares leaves $2M per year (Sharks offer) to sign with the team he cheered for as a kid and then waive his NMC a few years after.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
There is no chance Tavares leaves $2M per year (Sharks offer) to sign with the team he cheered for as a kid and then waive his NMC a few years after.
A new administration has no loyalty to him, though. The next group needs to rule with an iron fist so the first order of business should be trying to dump this albatross.

Strip the C and send him to the press box. If he wants to play NHL hockey, it’ll have to be somewhere else.

Reactions: MattMartin

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
A new administration has no loyalty to him, though. The next group needs to rule with an iron fist so the first order of business should be trying to dump this albatross.

Strip the C and send him to the press box. If he wants to play NHL hockey, it’ll have to be somewhere else.

I don't think they are anywhere near that point yet. Tavares is not the problem. Their problem is they dished out contracts at a point in time where they expected cap to grow but Covid derailed things. Flat cap is going to force their hand with letting guys go and trying to fill them with spare parts. And fans are just going to be out for blood when the results are meh.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
I don't think they are anywhere near that point yet. Tavares is not the problem. Their problem is they dished out contracts at a point in time where they expected cap to grow but Covid derailed things. Flat cap is going to force their hand with letting guys go and trying to fill them with spare parts. And fans are just going to be out for blood when the results are meh.
They spent money they didn’t have yet and got burned for it. Half the world is broke because of this.

Dubas was like a kid with his first credit card. Now the bill came. Ooooops.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021
Insane thread. Tavares is still great. The Leafs are struggling, yes. We're also seven games in. They were clearly the better team in their first five, and we fine against Pittsburgh until a few weird bounces put them in a hole and they cratered (though, admittedly not a good sign in and of itself). They got shit-kicked by Carolina, for sure, but Carolina always dominates them. The team is shooting 5.5%. Two of the NHL's top-10 scorers from last year have a combined two points. That isn't going to keep up. Calm down.

zodiacbiller

Sep 7, 2021

Do they have a "problem"? It's still super early in the season. They're not the best team in the NHL, but not every team lucks into a scenario where an insane coach tanks the value of a young player enough that you get one of the three best players on Earth long term for under $7MM/year.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I don't think they have to trade trade Tavares for a poison pill just yet.

Yeah he's overpaid for what he brings now, but he's still very easily a 1st line center.
The problem the Leafs seem to have is the cap management around him.

Tossing that kind of money for a #1Center is great, but you could also argue it's why they lost Johnsson, Kapanen, Hymen, and a lesser degree Kadri.

If Tavares would waive, he could easily get a collection of depth players including an adequate 2C.

Reactions: Fatass

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
If I was TO it wouldn't be Tavares that I'd trade, it's Matthews.

Tavares is an excellent 2-way center. You win championship with this kind of center that takes pride in doing all the little things right, sacrificing a little offense doing so but still producing a good amount of it.

Matthews looks like a stats watching selfish. He looks like the kind of guy who prefer losing scoring 3 goals instead of winning with his scoresheet empty. You don't win big games with this kind of franchise player on your team.

Plus TO would get a king's ransom if they traded him.

But they won't...

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hearing leafs are close to pulling the trigger on something. Not marner Matthews or tavares....a names that has surfaced was TJ brodie kerfoot and Morgan Rielly. Let's the speculation start!!!

Geardedandbearded

May 29, 2019
upload_2021-10-26_10-1-45.jpeg

kyle dubas in 10 years

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Leafs should be op
If I was TO it wouldn't be Tavares that I'd trade, it's Matthews.

Tavares is an excellent 2-way center. You win championship with this kind of center that takes pride in doing all the little things right, sacrificing a little offense doing so but still producing a good amount of it.

Matthews looks like a stats watching selfish. He looks like the kind of guy who prefer losing scoring 3 goals instead of winning with his scoresheet empty. You don't win big games with this kind of franchise player on your team.

Plus TO would get a king's ransom if they traded him.

But they won't...

I agree. Leafs should trade Matthews or at least be open to offers. He could get a good return from Vegas.

Matthews for Krebs, Tuch, Whitecloud, 1st.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Do they have a "problem"? It's still super early in the season. They're not the best team in the NHL, but not every team lucks into a scenario where an insane coach tanks the value of a young player enough that you get one of the three best players on Earth long term for under $7MM/year.

It is a problem cause the Leafs had a core they could build around and it's not happening due to covid flat cap. They are forced to use depth to fill key holes. Loosing Hyman was a step backwards.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad