Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
what does it matter what a player did 3 seasons ago ?

JT can't keep up with the flow of the game anymore , all he has left is being good on draws and vulturing around the net , i know the truth hurts but denying them doesn't make little Yanni Pj's a better player .

He had 50 points in 56 games last year which is still elite production. Does 1 year ago matter ?

Or his 60 in 63 games the year before ?

We're 4 games in and he had that scary head injury last playoff. Players have good and bad stretches. While I agree, he has looked pretty invisible so far apart from faceoffs, it's a 4 game sample size. 4 games.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
as long as you have quality linemates to get you the puck it works

but please tell me what Yanni does other than how i described him since you disagree
Drives play, wins puck battles, scores goals, wins faceoffs, good defensive player etc etc

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
He had 50 points in 56 games last year which is still elite production. Does 1 year ago matter ?

Or his 60 in 63 games the year before ?

We're 4 games in and he had that scary head injury last playoff. Players have good and bad stretches. While I agree, he has looked pretty invisible so far apart from faceoffs, it's a 4 game sample size. 4 games.
his production the last 2 seasons is no where near elite , i wish it was as a Leaf fan but pimping JT doesn't make his better

and there's always an excuse when he isn't playing well

2 year ago - gave birth to his 1st child
last year - he got off to a slow start then broke his finger which is why he wasn't playing well
this year - it was a concussion suffered in the spring even though he was rumored to be cleared to play if we got to the second rd

there's always some excuse for JT

Reactions: um

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Drives play, wins puck battles, scores goals, wins faceoffs, good defensive player etc etc
drives play ? he gets stripped every time he carries the puck in traffic

i don;t think you've watched Yanni play lately . lol

Reactions: ABCUser

The90

Feb 27, 2017
his production the last 2 seasons is no where near elite , i wish it was as a Leaf fan but pimping JT doesn't make his better

last year - he got off to a slow start then broke his finger which is why he wasn't playing well
this year - it was a concussion suffered in the spring even though he was rumored to be cleared to play if we got to the second rd

It’s gotta be tough on the head to live your life in such negativity…

Reactions: shortfuze

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

110 points in 119 games the last 2 seasons, good enough for 25th overall. That is absolutely elite production. Outscoring Ovechkin, Backstrom, Barzal, Bergeron, who are all considered elite players.

He played fine last year, if you're expecting 100 points a season out of him, it's not happening. How many players in the league are gonna put up 50 points in 56 games lol ? You're so set on pushing this narrative that he's trash/washed up and I really don't get it. I don't even know when you became a leafs fan, for as long as I've seen you on these boards you did nothing but shit on them but apparently you are.

If after the first 4 games this year you have come to this final conclusion then cheers. For the rest of us we'll wait and see how his other 78 games go this year.

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
How many conference finals or cups did McDavid bring to Edmonton ? Zero, therefore he must be shit :sarcasm: HF Logic

These are the same posters who get offended when labelled as leafs haters

Nobody was even talking about Stanley cups :laugh: If that's your only measure for how good/bad a player is, about 80% of the league is shit and not worth their contract
probably closer to over 90%

Joe n

Aug 12, 2019
110 points in 119 games the last 2 seasons, good enough for 25th overall. That is absolutely elite production. Outscoring Ovechkin, Backstrom, Barzal, Bergeron, who are all considered elite players.

He played fine last year, if you're expecting 100 points a season out of him, it's not happening. How many players in the league are gonna put up 50 points in 56 games lol ? You're so set on pushing this narrative that he's trash/washed up and I really don't get it. I don't even know when you became a leafs fan, for as long as I've seen you on these boards you did nothing but shit on them but apparently you are.

If after the first 4 games this year you have come to this final conclusion then cheers. For the rest of us we'll wait and see how his other 78 games go this year.
they never reply to stats with anything except i'm right and you're wrong

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009

5th highest cap hit while being 32nd in PPG over the last two years. That’s the issue. He’s not a bad player at all but he’s ~$3M overpaid and still has a long term left with diminishing returns.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
5th highest cap hit while being 32nd in PPG over the last two years. That’s the issue. He’s not a bad player at all but he’s ~$3M overpaid and still has a long term left with diminishing returns.
Those pesky diminishing returns of .893 ppg vs career .92. Whatever will the leafs do

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I dunn
I dunno. He looks pretty cooked to me. He's certainly not getting 200 points in his next 200 games. He cant skate and looks checked out. Sadly, he's not even the Leafs worst $11 million player. Marner just spins around and gets flung on his ass.

Reactions: ABCUser

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
[QUOTE="nbwingsfan, post: 180692387, member: 95079"]5th highest cap hit while being 32nd in PPG over the last two years. That’s the issue. He’s not a bad player at all but he’s ~$3M overpaid and still has a long term left with diminishing returns.[/QUOTE]

Yet 32nd in PPG is still almost at a point per game. And no that's not the issue. Half, if not more than half the guys ahead of him are on old contracts from before they broke out. 3M is a bit of an exaggeration but yes he is slightly overpaid. With that being said he's still a top line player in the NHL and by no means should be traded for a "bad contract"

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
How many conference finals or cups did McDavid bring to Edmonton ? Zero, therefore he must be shit :sarcasm: HF Logic

These are the same posters who get offended when labelled as leafs haters

Nobody was even talking about Stanley cups :laugh: If that's your only measure for how good/bad a player is, about 80% of the league is shit and not worth their contract

It's common sense. The leafs told their fans and the team Tavares is the 1 player we need to win the Cup therefore they went out and gave him that ridiculous contract and look at how that's worked out.

McDavid has great regular season numbers but when it comes to the playoffs he is just like Tavares MIA.

If the goal is to achieve some personal stats then your arguement would be OK. This is about these gifted players who have 82 games to showcase themselves then when everything is on the line and counts they are either MIA from the scores geek more times than not or don't create there own momentum.

Crosby , kane , toews those 3 players to name the most recent all have a few things in common mul5cup wins , game breakers, huge contracts they earned , and when the games counted they stepped up in multiple ways. They also did it early on in their careers ages 20 through 22 years old

McDavid, Tavares have yet proven they can lead a team to a stanley cup.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
His deal is bad and and he isn't really what the Leafs need, but is it bad enough to trade for Karlsson or the Predators forwards or something? Seems like they'd prefer just keeping Tavares. Trouba getting traded to a Canadian team would be hilarious.

He is better than people realize. Marner should be traded, not Tavares.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
His deal is bad and and he isn't really what the Leafs need, but is it bad enough to trade for Karlsson or the Predators forwards or something? Seems like they'd prefer just keeping Tavares. Trouba getting traded to a Canadian team would be hilarious.
you mean, which team would J. Tavares would waive his FULL NMC for?? FLA, TB, VGK.. maybe?

Would that end up in a trade... most likely not

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
If Tavares didn’t have an NMC, he could return good value.

But, he does. The best years of his contract have been paid out, and he would limit where he goes pretty strictly, I suspect.

Only team that really makes sense, IMO, is San Jose for one of their big contracts. But don’t think that makes sense for Toronto. They should just hold onto him. He’s overpaid and not the perfect fit for them but he’s a very good player who would be way too hard to move.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
In the offseason after his bonus is paid would be the best opportunity for the leafs to trade Tavares if that is the route they want to go and Tavares agrees to it. Right now the only teams that can offer the leafs cap flexibility/a proper return are not good and realistically Tavares will not waive for them. In the offseason after the bonus he will be paid 17 million for 3 years which would be a good price for the acquiring team dollar value wise and teams will have either have cap room or be looking to make a change like Toronto.

Best bets would be to go through the finalists for Tavares and start there.

That being said Marner needs to be traded first imo.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Total knee jerk thread after a poor start for the Leafs. There would easily be a handful of teams that would take Tavares off the Leafs hands if they could fit him under the cap.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
Total knee jerk thread after a poor start for the Leafs. There would easily be a handful of teams that would take Tavares off the Leafs hands if they could fit him under the cap.

Islanders have done fine without him. Somewhat telling.m

If you look at the body of work he’s a great player but cap dictates all. It’s tough to build the total package with an 8 figure player on the payroll, let alone 3 of them.

Leafs r fuk at the end of the day, luckily my team’s even worse so don’t @ me you zoomers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad