Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ciao

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I like Tavares, and I'm very happy that he's a Leaf for life.

End of story for me.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Tavares has absolutely done his job since arriving in Toronto. They wanted a point producing, goal scoring leader to create a 1-2 punch down the middle with Matthews.

As a Leaf Tavares has set career highs in points (88) and goals (47), and is the team captain. And the team's 1-2 centers are among the absolute best in the league with him and Matthews.

You can say the cap should be more evenly allocated. But Tavares has been worth every penny so far, and there's no reason to believe the Leafs management wants to move him, let alone dump him. The suggestion is bonkers.
He was worth it the first year, but since then put up less than PPG both season with poor playoffs in both and diminishing goal totals. He’s definitely not worth $11M at this point and it’s only going to go down from here

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
You did a nice job of showing us that YOU were the one not watching. Aside from game 7 and Carey Price, it was all leafs last year. Yeah they didn’t produce, but they did play well.
Wait, you actually think Marner and Matthews played well :laugh: ?

Reactions: dukeofjive

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
He was worth it the first year, but since then put up less than PPG both season with poor playoffs in both and diminishing goal totals. He’s definitely not worth $11M at this point and it’s only going to go down from here

Is .9 points per game really so much "less than PPG" that it's a problem? That's the same pace he always had as an Islander, by the way.

And how is getting his head knocked off considered a "poor playoff".

Get out of here.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I’m good. I watched the series. Don’t think you did. That or 7 years wasn’t enough. Anywho I’ll agree to disagree
So you’re better at analyzing what happened in the series better than your own coach? Because even he called out your big guys…

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Is .9 points per game really so much "less than PPG" that it's a problem? That's the same pace he always had as an Islander, by the way.

And how is getting his head knocked off considered a "poor playoff".

Get out of here.
When you’re paid to score goals and you only had 19 last year then yes it’s a problem. Is a 70pt/30G guy (who’s been trending down) worth $11M?

In 12 games he has 8 playoff points. That’s what you want for $11M?

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
When you’re paid to score goals and you only had 19 last year then yes it’s a problem. Is a 70pt/30G guy (who’s been trending down) worth $11M?

In 12 games he has 8 playoff points. That’s what you want for $11M?

Trending down? The last 2 seasons he's averaged .92 points per game. That's bang on his career average of .93 per game. How is that trending down?

The season before that was a career high. Is he being blamed now for having a career high? Garbage.

Theeafs have struggled in the playoffs, yes. So all of their playoff stats are unimpressive, yes. That's not new, and not entirely on Tavares.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
If the Leafs retain to match Myers $6 million going back I would do this:

To Vancouver: Tavares (retained) and 2023 3rd round pick

To Toronto: Myers, Sutter, Petan, 2023 5th round pick

Then:

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Garland Horvat Hoglander
Pearson Tavares Podkolzin
Motte Lammikko Dickinson

My guy wants 5M retained on Tavares + a pick for Myers LOL. And then slots him on the 3rd line :laugh:

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Everybody on the leafs is a cap dump according to this site

Trade JT, Matthews, Marner retained for picks !

Reactions: The90

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Trending down? The last 2 seasons he's averaged .92 points per game. That's bang on his career average of .93 per game. How is that trending down?

The season before that was a career high. Is he being blamed now for having a career high? Garbage.

Theeafs have struggled in the playoffs, yes. So all of their playoff stats are unimpressive, yes. That's not new, and not entirely on Tavares.
44g/88pts (with Marner)
33G/ 78pts(pace)
28G/73pts (pace)

down and down and down…

I’ll ask again, do you think $11M for a 30G/70pt guy is a fair deal? Over 30 and poor playoffs included?

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
There is literally no point to this thread, Tavares clearly isn't the player he once was but he's still a valuable player to any organization.
His NMC and his salary make it impossible to get fair value for him in a trade, and he's certainly too valuable to give away

Reactions: banks

The90

Feb 27, 2017
44g/88pts (with Marner)
33G/ 78pts(pace)
28G/73pts (pace)

down and down and down…

I’ll ask again, do you think $11M for a 30G/70pt guy is a fair deal? Over 30 and poor playoffs included?
Now do his career average and leaf average. Doesn’t fit what you’re selling does it.

Reactions: banks and AvroArrow

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
44g/88pts (with Marner)
33G/ 78pts(pace)
28G/73pts (pace)

down and down and down…

I'll be the first to admit he's not an 11M dollar player, but he's still extremely serviceable and would be a legitimate 1C on most teams in the league.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

Yeah probably a lot of sweet secondary assists where he was barely part of the play. His goal scoring has been declining. He doesn’t drive a line anymore and he looks invisible out there so far this season and most of last. The only year he played anywhere close to an 11 million dollar center for us was 2019.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
If the Leafs retain to match Myers $6 million going back I would do this:

To Vancouver: Tavares (retained) and 2023 3rd round pick

To Toronto: Myers, Sutter, Petan, 2023 5th round pick

Then:

Miller Pettersson Brock Boeser
Garland Horvat Hoglander
Pearson Tavares Podkolzin
Motte Lammikko Dickinson
Close but I would prefer Vancouver retaining on Pettersson to match Kerfoots 3.5 million going back. I would do this:

To Vancouver: Kerfoot, Engvall, Semyonov and a 2023 3rd round pick

To Toronto: Pettersson (retained) and a 2024 4th round pick

Reactions: AvroArrow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad