Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
I don't think there is a worse 11+ million contract in the league aside from Karlsson. He is so brutal it almost makes me want to cry thinking we have multiple years of him left.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Columbus and Toronto had the exact same record, so, not sure what you are talking about?
MTL also beat Winnipeg and Vegas, why not go troll them too, since Tavares is better than the Peg's #2C and Vegas's #1C.
Because those teams actually know how to win playoff series… something the Leafs haven’t done since many posters here were born

GTHLDad

Dec 15, 2009
Tavares and Marner contracts are making it impossible for the Leafs to make any impact in the play-offs. Too much money in two players of little impact.
Yes last year collapse is entirely on Travares, they should just bury him in the minors now and get it over with.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Tavares and Marner contracts are making it impossible for the Leafs to make any impact in the play-offs. Too much money in two players of little impact.

Habs fan here and I'm not a big fan of Dubas but in fairness to him, he was expected the cap to grow when those contracts were signed. People forget the cap was projected to be $84M - $88M range before Covid derailed things in 2020. An extra $6M in cap space for the Leafs we do wonders. Problem with flat cap Covid seasons is the cap won't rise significantly now until the NHPA outstanding balance is paid off. Probably another 2 or 3 years.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Habs fan here and I'm not a big fan of Dubas but in fairness to him, he was expected the cap to grow when those contracts were signed. People forget the cap was projected to be $84M - $88M range before Covid derailed things in 2020. An extra $6M in cap space for the Leafs we do wonders. Problem with flat cap Covid seasons is the cap won't rise significantly now until the NHPA outstanding balance is paid off. Probably another 2 or 3 years.

Objectively, the Leafs did worse than their contemporaries in contract negotiations but yeah Dubas got absolutely slammed on the timing with those deals, would barely even be a topic of conversation without a flat cap

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Because those teams actually know how to win playoff series… something the Leafs haven’t done since many posters here were born

The top heavy offensive team in the Leafs have created a false narrative that they are contenders when they have not proven anything or earned it yet. It has set a very high level of expectations and pressure.

Look at the Islanders... Back to back final 4 and they have earned the contender status. Flat cap and trading futures for possible short term gains at the deadline has depleted the Leafs chances to rise. Offense is nice but great D/goaltending with solid offense is what wins playoff series.

Oilers have the same issues. Top heavy with offense but questions with team D and goaltending in the playoffs when the real wars start.

Last edited:
Reactions: nbwingsfan

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Objectively, the Leafs did worse than their contemporaries in contract negotiations but yeah Dubas got absolutely slammed on the timing with those deals, would barely even be a topic of conversation without a flat cap

* Nobody says no to Tavares at $11M.
* Matthews contract is legit. He's one of the best young players in the NHL
* Marner's contract should in between what Barzal and Point are making IMO. About $1M - $2M too much. If Marner was not on a stacked offensive team, he would be more like a 80 pts guy like Barzal.
* Nothing wrong with Nylander's contract... just took too long to get it signed.

If the cap grew like it was projected and Covid didn't come along... it would look much better.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

You certainly aren't wrong, but the same could be said for every team in the NHL. Covid created unexpected cap headaches league wide.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Yes last year collapse is entirely on Travares, they should just bury him in the minors now and get it over with.
he should have had a stronger neck, and been able to 'phase' through Perry

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
he got those is the first 2 years. 19 and 26 the last 2. 11 mill a year? I would be looking for 40 a year
Yea, he did it his first 2 seasons, and proved to be worth his cap hit, on and off the ice. teammates rave about his professionalism and he has been a positive influence as a 'hard worker' on the younger Leafs players, and positively impacted their off ice/season training.
there are not many 11 mil players, but, at least Tavares has had 40 goal seasons ...and the only other 11 mil player to ever have 40 goals was McD.
Panarin for example has a higher cap hit and a career best 32, and only 17 last season. I doubt he ever hits 40 goals.

if you drop down to 10 mil players, only ONE has ever hit 40 goals, and that is Kane and he had 48 goals over the last 2 seasons playing 126 games vs Tavares 45 goals in 119 games (both .38)

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Yeah, are you stuck in 1999? A few millions overpaid is bad, real bad

Uhh what team doesn't have any overpayments on their roster? We paid 11m to get him and it was less than what was being offered.

What year are you stuck in again?

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
if you watched the leafs in the playoffs you would have seen that Tavares wasn’t there.

I did watch the leafs in the playoffs, and I remember them being up 3-1 against the Canadiens and losing 3 straight. If Marner, Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly are so amazing, why does Toronto desperately need Tavares to literally win 1 more game in the series?

Reactions: dukeofjive

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I did watch the leafs in the playoffs, and I remember them being up 3-1 against the Canadiens and losing 3 straight. If Marner, Matthews, Nylander, and Rielly are so amazing, why does Toronto desperately need Tavares to literally win 1 more game in the series?

????? What does that have to do with Tavares and his contract…… which is the whole point of the thread

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Most perplexing part is the notion that Tavares isn't what the Leafs need.

He's exactly what they need, another centre for the top 6. Otherwise it's just Matthews and a bunch of guys you don't want as a centre on the second line.

Last edited:

John Johnson

Apr 11, 2019
Just trade Marner. He will return the best package, plus hes a winger so less of a position of need.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
????? What does that have to do with Tavares and his contract…… which is the whole point of the thread

Because Akrapovince initially brought forth the premise that even though Tavares has a high cap hit, Toronto has a great tendency to sign other good players to super cheap deals, thus making them a good team and therefore his contract a nonissue. His defense for Toronto losing in the playoffs recently was luck, which I disagreed with.

Circling back, Toronto did not handle Tavares' contract negotiations effectively. Considering it was pajama boy's dream to come home and play for his home town, it makes no sense for Toronto to not have been able to sign him for less than 10M. Of course there were other teams that were offering up to 13M AAV, but that doesn't necessarily make 11M AAV a good deal either.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Most perplexing part is the notion that Tavares isn't what the Leafs need.

He's exactly what they need, another centre for the top 6. Otherwise it's just Matthews and a bunch of guys you don't want centring the second line.

Tavares is a good addition to the team, but not at the price tag that Dubas agreed to. That's the problem.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
It's not about a first round win, it's about having the horses to win 4 rounds.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Enough with these stupid Taveres trade proposals. Random TML fans that won’t listen to the many other TML fans telling you he’s got a full NMC. Accept this. Realize this. Tavares is yours and yours alone until his contract expires or he’s bought out.

learn to live with this. Digest the truth and deal.

Tavares remains a good hockey player that’s a bit overpaid. He’s playing 2C. Just accept this fact. It’s done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad