Value of: Which bad contract could the Leafs trade Tavares for?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Tavares would veto any trade. Period.

Nylander is tradeable but isnt overpaid so it's tough to improve without gaining cap space.

Marner is tradeable but the Leafs would lose any trade he's involved in.

Matthews is tradeable for a Kings ransom, and is probably the best trade piece they have in terms of restructuring the team, but he's the face of the franchise and won't be traded.

I don't think the Leafs are winning a cup with this core. Their top 4 forwards are too similar. They need some sand paper in the top 6, that isn't just a bottom 6 player in that role. Hyman was a good asset, but they just have no cap.

Their most likely big move is to trade Marner for a winger making half what he does, and then fill the holes in with the rest of the cap space I guess.

What I would do is trade Matthews for a cheaper 1C like... Couturier or Barzal and some significant additional pieces to fill the roster. It's not like Tavares-Couturier/Barzal isn't a great 1-2 punch. Leafs fans won't like that though, and rightfully so... But I think Toronto needs to downgrade in an area to improve in others , and IMO this is the most efficient way of doing it.

Last edited:

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
And Montreal ended up going to the cup finals. There’s so much parity in this league, and the league is so match up based.

Montreal & Columbus could have just been their kryptonite and they could have beat every other team, but unfortunately drew those two. (Yeah yeah, and if my aunt was a man she’d be my uncle).

It’s fun to pile on to the Leafs, and as an Oilers and Sens fan I’d be the first one with a shovel.

This core has the ability to have a playoff run, but hockey is a game of inches and seconds etc and it doesn’t work out in the favour. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won’t.

Which is a huge testament to how dominant the Wings, Penguins, Hawks & Tampa have been.

I'm not sure if you actually watch the Leafs in the playoffs. If you did, you would see a lack of intensity, leadership, defense, grit. etc. They didn't get unlucky.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'm not sure if you actually watch the Leafs in the playoffs. If you did, you would see a lack of intensity, leadership, defense, grit. etc. They didn't get unlucky.

if you watched the leafs in the playoffs you would have seen that Tavares wasn’t there.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
If Tavares was willing to move, Jeff Skinner (with about 1/3 retained) ++. I know. I know. Skinner is even't close. I think he could play with Marner/Matthews and get 25 goals again and he'd waive for Toronto. It's two extra years which is horrible but Sabres lower cap hit to $5.5 Million and start adding prospects. Would take the equivalent of top 10 pick and a good prospect to close the gap and Sabres might want that because deal would leave them dealing with just 3.5 million in cap retention in last two years. Leafs buy out last two years.

Leafs save a ton of cap space now while Matthews is still in their uniform to sign Reilly. Plus, they get a Jack Quinn and maybe a Ryan Johnson. Two guys who could play in NHL next year. Owen Power is off the table.

The deal is mostly pointless because Tavares doesn't wave.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
As mentioned in numerous other threads, Kyle Dubas will never trade him because that would be admitting that his master plan didn't work out.

I mean.....his team's playoff track record with him as GM would be Exhibit A for that, but I still don't see Dubas making such a drastic change here, no matter how big an anchor John Tavares may end up being.

This thread is garbage. The guy nearly died during that insane double dump truck collision in Game 1 of the playoffs. Recovers and gets ready for game 1 of a new season and we want to trade him 4 games in? Get real

.....Nahhhhh. :biglaugh:

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Yzerman does this trade. Then the opposite side adds a 1st.
No sh*t Yzerman does this. He'd be saving half a million dollars while trading 2 guys that have legit been bought out, and an overpaid defenseman for a star center. Who cares about term, why in the world would Toronto want to add 0.5M in cap space, AND add a first round pick just to get 2 buyout caps back and a guy to throw on their bottom pair?

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Lol @ people saying leafs are stuck with Tavares

he might be a little overpaid but hes still a #1 center
I agree with what you said except he probably isn’t going anywhere for a few reasons. Cap hit and importance means no one will pay what it takes to get him.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Their last two playoffs they were not not beaten by good teams. Columbus was technically not even in the playoffs IIRC and Montreal wouldn’t have made it in a real year
Columbus and Toronto had the exact same record, so, not sure what you are talking about?
MTL also beat Winnipeg and Vegas, why not go troll them too, since Tavares is better than the Peg's #2C and Vegas's #1C.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad