What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I miss the pre game brawls badly. They were an indicator that players actually cared more about winning every game than their Instagram. That anger is just not there anymore.
Or maybe they realized risking debilitating injury before a game even starts is stupid and pointless, and they'd rather beat their rivals where it actually matters. On the socreboard.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Playing the game of hockey at some shit level doesn’t make you a better hockey fan than those who never played.

Analytics are constantly ruined by the few who cherry pick and make outlandish stupid claims for attention.
for those of us that did play at a higher level, advanced stats have their place but we don't need them to understand or to see what's really happening in the game

Last edited:

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
You're talking to someone who has 1128 NHL games under their belt. :P
But anyway I'm talking about the uber progressive pudgy 30-something year old podcasters or twitter people who seem to think analytics are more important than the score itself, the kind of people who come up with flaming hot takes such as "According to analytics you should just give the puck away to the other team" and who constantly feel the need to bash the "old boys club" and act as if some 30 year old math nerd is more qualified than people with any sort of hockey experience.

You mean the person that come up with their own stats and came to the conclusion that John Carlson wasn't elite?

Oops.

We can never let this thread die - it's too precious!

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
The NHL grabbing the sport by the balls was the worst thing that could ever happen to the sport. Hockey would be thriving much more if the American corporate entertainment industry never got a hold of it.

Couldn't they have picked curling instead?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I wouldn't call it controversial but the whole "you wouldn't need to look at stats if you played the game" thing is pretty stupid because we have tons of examples of guys who "played the game" who made obviously stupid decisions that a bunch of stats hobbyists on twitter immediately recognized as terrible decisions. Marc Bergevin played the game and he thought Karl Alzner was a good investment. Dale Tallon played the game and he handed Vegas 2/3 of their top line for no reason, and signed Dave Bolland to a massive contract. Nonis and Chiarelli both played the game (NCAA, but if you're going to use your Junior B experience to say you played the game that counts too) and they did Clarkson/Lucic/Hall-Larsson.

It's not that you needed stats to realize Karl Alzner was cooked, but a cursory glance at possession metrics for 5 seconds would tell you it's absolutely insane to offer that player 5 years at 4.6M. Somehow nearly 1200 NHL games weren't enough experience for Marc Bergevin to realize that was a horrible idea like hundreds of random people on HF and twitter did, whether they looked at stats or not. There were still a lot of people who played the game and someone who makes a lot of money as a GM based on his experience playing the game who thought Alzner was worth that contract.

For my real controversial opinion it's probably removing offside. I could handle leaving in the blue line in terms of once the puck enters the zone you need to clear if it leaves the zone, but I don't think offside should be called on zone entries.

Reactions: Sega Dreamcast

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Ovechkin isn't that good. Nobody wants to be the team to give him 700 and he's now goalless in 5 straight. Teams are actually playing defense on him now. Instead of leaving him wide open for no reason and letting him score the same goals over and over again. 31% of his goals are on the PP. Majority of them are scored the same way. Caps are 1-4 in those 5 games. So the notion of game planning or playing defense on Ovi would open it up for others is false. 1-4. Stop leaving him wide open all game and the Caps aren't that good.

Imagine if teams played defense like this on him on a nightly basis. Instead of letting him have a free skate at the left dot. He would have 300 goals right now tops.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Mine is pretty simple in that Mario doesn't belong in the big 4.

His ESGF/ESGA ratios just drop him down into the next grouping of players for me.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary
The product is diluted by too many teams. I'd rather have a 24 teams league. Essentially, every teams' 4th line and #6/7 defensemen would not make it and the game level would be better.

It depends on what you mean by entertaining. More teams and more talent dilution means star players can show off their talent even more. So many people idolize the 80's or early 90's as some of the best days of hockey. Weaker defensemen/goalies allow for higher scoring games. Plus you got way more talent in the NHL today due to more Americans playing it and higher % of Europeans coming over say compared to the 80's.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Ovechkin isn't that good. Nobody wants to be the team to give him 700 and he's now goalless in 5 straight. Teams are actually playing defense on him now. Instead of leaving him wide open for no reason and letting him score the same goals over and over again. 31% of his goals are on the PP. Majority of them are scored the same way. Caps are 1-4 in those 5 games. So the notion of game planning or playing defense on Ovi would open it up for others is false. 1-4. Stop leaving him wide open all game and the Caps aren't that good.

Imagine if teams played defense like this on him on a nightly basis. Instead of letting him have a free skate at the left dot. He would have 300 goals right now tops.

I actually can't tell if this was a serious post or not. Does that mean you win?

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
The 2012 Kings were the best Cup winning team in the post-lockout era, and it's really not close.

This is controversial only because every available playoff statistic we have supports it.

Oh wait that makes it not controversial at all.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I have 2 and I believe both not just being a contrarian .

#1 Ovi is the greatest goal scorer in history (and a better player overall then crosby)

#2 Patrick Kane was the best overall scorer of his generation. Adding in passing puts Kane ahead of Ovi.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
NYC
The 2012 Kings were the best Cup winning team in the post-lockout era, and it's really not close.

This is controversial only because every available playoff statistic we have supports it.

Oh wait that makes it not controversial at all.

Okie dokie mate

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I'm no shootout fan but it amazes me how many here at HFBoards want tie games re-instated. You don't watch/attend games to see a tie, you watch/attend to see a win.
Not if your a Wings fan ..lol.. actually after a quarter of a century of playoffs and four cups i still feel spoiled.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad