What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Reminds me of this - (the guy he quoted is an analytics pod cast writer guy who from what I have seen is an idiot and the exact person you are describing)

My favorite is how Evolving Wild said Bonino and his 20pts is better than Kane and Ovi this season

Reactions: Voight

ColbyChaos

I am a made up country
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Quebec City, Hamilton, Saskatoon....I think that Canada should have teams in the NHL, the sport came from Canada. I do not like that the deep southern cities in the US have teams (which do not generate fans), yet the Canadian cities would be behind the teams throughout the entire country of Canada.

May as well throw in Wood Buffalo, Thunder Bay, and Sudburry while youre at it if youre gonna name an insanely small market like that with the others.

Whiston532

Dec 27, 2010
Edmonton
May as well throw in Wood Buffalo, Thunder Bay, and Sudburry while youre at it if youre gonna name an insanely small market like that with the others.

What are you talking about ? The nhl not jumping all over A province with two cities with a population over 40,000 and an overall population comparable to/less than some NHL team cities is absolute insanity...

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
The biggest problem in the NHL is the commissioner. Gary Bettman came from the NBA to be the NHL commissioner, and he has destroyed the game during his tenure.
If he was to be replaced and a Canadian was hired to fill that role, I'm sure that "shoot-outs" would be removed. The NHL All Star game would go back to being conference versus conference during a full 5 on 5 hockey game (including defence, which doesn't exist anymore), and the game wouldn't look like a f**king skills competition!
Gary Bettman has placed teams in NBA cities, rather than consider cities in Canada (who have been requesting teams for decades), I know that Bettman is only looking to make more money for the NHL, but towns like Phoenix-Tampa-Miami etc. drawn little to no attention from the fans in those areas (they're NBA towns!).
Bettman needs to go!

I'm glad the OP asked for opinions and not facts. Wow, just wow!

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Quebec City, Hamilton, Saskatoon....I think that Canada should have teams in the NHL, the sport came from Canada. I do not like that the deep southern cities in the US have teams (which do not generate fans), yet the Canadian cities would be behind the teams throughout the entire country of Canada.

I thought Canada DOES have teams in the NHL. I guess Montreal is not in Canada. My Geography teach lied to me.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley

Yes, let's divide the same size pie further and further. Where does that make any business sense?

I notice you didn't mention anywhere in the Atlantic Provinces mind you.

Last edited:

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
Devil's advocate: Is that a good thing, though? I don't mean it's good for PT winner to get the cup consistently, per say. But, is it good that the team that performs the best over an 82 game span consistently does *not* win the most coveted prize? Why is this, and why is this good? Is it because playoff hockey is different, and some teams are built for the playoff grind more than the regular season and vise versa? Is luck a large component of hockey? Is it all a crap-shoot, all the time? Are best of 7s not enough hockey to sift through the random results?

Myself, I know one thing that influences my preference for present-day NHL (I'm not sure what you mean by modern, I think modern NHL is usually defined as 70s to present? but from context it sounds like you are talking post-2004 lockout), and that is HD coverage. I never got to watch live NHL until the last few years, and while I have very fond memories of (perhaps some nostalgia sprinkled in) 90s hockey in particular, I do love HD coverage.

Its a combination of several factors.

Hockey, in general, is a very unpredictable sport. Home advantage is less of a factor in hockey then in other team sports.

Look how much was made of Red Sox coming back from 0-3 down to beat the Yankees. Well, that has happened several times in NHL.

You can have a situation where an average goalie (or player, for that matter) plays out of his mind in the playoffs.

To me that is far more entertaining then a league where there are 2 super-teams (or even 1) and no one else has a chance.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
The leafs should shop Tavares or Marner. I believe John has a NMC - ask him to waive it.

They’re a better team with one of those huge contracts gone assuming they get good return. They will never win with all their eggs in 3 baskets.

You must buy in to win a cup and take a discount. If their 3 stars won’t, why should anyone else?

RosstheBoss

Feb 19, 2020
Reminds me of this - (the guy he quoted is an analytics pod cast writer guy who from what I have seen is an idiot and the exact person you are describing)

Brandon Prust is the last person to be throwing shade at anyone as he is infamous for spearing an opposing player, then faking an injury the very next game they played to avoid being held accountable. The guy is living with his parents after blowing through the money he made, and will do anything in hopes of getting a job with his former Junior team. Having said that, the blogger is 100% correct. The Hunters are two of the most over rated hockey people the sport has seen. Both have failed everywhere, with the exception of the one place they've been allowed to bend the rules.

RosstheBoss

Feb 19, 2020
God do I hate when people make that argument. I'm not a carpenter, but if I see a guy build a chair with 3 legs instead of 4 I know they aren't a good carpenter. I'm not a chef but I know if my food is terrible. This same argument is used by people in wrestling to knock Dave Meltzer but if you listen to him he has a better understanding of what works and why it works (and conversely what doesn't work and why it doesn't work) of just about anyone and only fools dismiss his opinion.

I think there is a difference between what you are saying, and what happens. Pointing out a 3 legged chair is easy, but the proper analogy would be to start to criticize the type of wood used, and not being able to say why that wood is the wrong choice and what should be used and why. People who have never played the game don't understand the human element to it, and base things purely off not having an emotional connection. They assume that the players do exactly what their coaches tell them to do 100% of the time, and don't realize hockey is an extremely fast paced game, where individual plays can't be practiced over and over again until they are perfect. They also tend to use stats, but only when it helps them, then ignore those same stats when they don't.

You can point out food is terrible, but can you get behind the stove and do better when the restaurant is full? It takes doing it to understand how and why.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
NYC
Apparently liking a young player who's playing great in his rookie season more than a prospect in college with 0 NHL experience is pretty controversial around these boards

TimmytheTank

Nov 13, 2008
Yes, let's divide the same size pie further and further. Where does that make any business sense?

Not sure if you're referring to the old argument of "dilution of talent" that I've heard people spouting for years in discussion of expansions. If so, my controversial opinion is that the talent pool is plenty deep, and the quality of the talent on the ice is better than it ever was. Secondarily, I think mistakes lead to exciting hockey, and the idea that decreasing the overall skill level on the ice inherently gives a less entertaining product is nonsense.

The Bruins are good not great team propped up by years of having the refs in their pocket.

I don't think that qualifies as "controversial", especially not on HFboards. :laugh:

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
The 2014 Kings/Blackhawks series- the so called real Cup Finals- is the most overrated playoff series of this decade.

first 4 games were one-sided. That was just another run of the mill series before the refs went like 6 minutes without blowing a whistle in game 5.

3 good games out of 7 between a pair of third place teams that sleepwalked until April.... and yet that was voted series of the decade based on the last 3 games.

2010/2013 SCF were better series IMO

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
As a female fan, I'm reluctant to say this but I don't like it when men or hockey fans in general are shamed for not being interested in womens' hockey. I don't think men are being chauvinist if it doesn't interest them. If the interest and growth is organic, that's fine. But let people have or not have interest as they see fit instead of guilt tripping them. I feel that if I shared this some parts in the hockey world in general, for example, in some circles on twitter, I'd be demonized for not doing enough to "support my own."

Last edited:

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Not sure if you're referring to the old argument of "dilution of talent" that I've heard people spouting for years in discussion of expansions. If so, my controversial opinion is that the talent pool is plenty deep, and the quality of the talent on the ice is better than it ever was. Secondarily, I think mistakes lead to exciting hockey, and the idea that decreasing the overall skill level on the ice inherently gives a less entertaining product is nonsense.

Not at all. That myth perpetuated by "original 6" fans ended when Philadelphia won the cup with a system that was not considered big league. Also, European systems, WHA systems, Orr, Gretzky, Lemieux, Hextall, Haseck who changed the way the game is played, better equipment and the push for marketing systems done in other sports such as pay per view and whatever the heck the Sharks did. The fact is expansion ended the coaching stagnation and better athleticism i.e. Roger Nielsen and the use of video tape and his invention of the trap, etc. Let's not forget athleticism. It used to be considered cheating to lift weights and that myth kept up until the 80's.

No I'm talking about business sense. The interest in Canadian teams is limited to 30m people minus schoolteachers and Liberal Prime Ministers who can't name three teams in the NHL.

Is there someone in in Saskatchewan, Nunavut or Moncton who doesn't have a favorite team, doesn't watch who's playing every Saturday night, or gets a sweater every Christmas? How many kids in Quebec City don't already have Habs brand sheets and pillowcases?

Does the league make any more money if those are Nordiques brand apparel instead?

(Yes, there are fans of the Canucks and Red Wings in Sweden but that's based on the players - foreign countries are interested in their players regardless of where they play).

How many NBA teams should Indiana have?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad