What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
You're talking to someone who has 1128 NHL games under their belt. :P
But anyway I'm talking about the uber progressive pudgy 30-something year old podcasters or twitter people who seem to think analytics are more important than the score itself, the kind of people who come up with flaming hot takes such as "According to analytics you should just give the puck away to the other team" and who constantly feel the need to bash the "old boys club" and act as if some 30 year old math nerd is more qualified than people with any sort of hockey experience.

Being able to move your arm doesn't mean you understand why signal transmission through the ventral root works. Being a chess grandmaster doesn't mean each of your moves is optimal. Experience is not a substitute for understanding, and understanding isn't a substitute for experience. Ideas should be supported or discredited upon their merit alone; where they come from is immaterial.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Problem is, shootout wins are not wins. And shootouts are boring. Without them I can flip back to Anderson Cooper sooner without wasting time to find out if we got one or two points for the tie.

Wins are defined by the people who make the rules. They have defined winning a shootout following 65 minutes of tied hockey (the last five at three-on-three) as a win.

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
The product is diluted by too many teams. I'd rather have a 24 teams league. Essentially, every teams' 4th line and #6/7 defensemen would not make it and the game level would be better.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
Problem is, shootout wins are not wins. And shootouts are boring. Without them I can flip back to Anderson Cooper sooner without wasting time to find out if we got one or two points for the tie.
So what you're saying then is we need 20 min OTs played out in full regardless of scoring

Spoilers

Jun 24, 2018
Mine is that the NHL doesn’t want Canadian teams to win the cup. They know Canada is a saturated market and they want to grow the game in the US.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Women's hockey isn't very entertaining because they simply aren't very good but everyone's too afraid to appear sexist or exclusive and would cost media members their jobs if they acknowledged it. They haven't been able to form a viable league because they aren't good enough to attract the fanbase they'd require.

Reactions: SENStastic

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Women's hockey isn't very entertaining because they simply aren't very good but everyone's too afraid to appear sexist or exclusive and would cost media members their jobs if they acknowledged it. They haven't been able to form a viable league because they aren't good enough to attract the fanbase they'd require.
I couldn’t possibly disagree with you more.

The 3 on 3 in the All Star weekend showcased the skill the women have.

Don’t forget that the women have real jobs, don’t have full time training and practice, and can’t always have the best equipment in a never-ending supply.

Give those women the same perks the professional men have and they become even better.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Not a fully fleshed out thought but...

The idea of "Skilled 4th liners" has been a mirage and I don't think the game is better by teams having a bunch of David Kampf types who can skate well and put up 20 points a year. I think it just gets in the way of talented players being able to shine. I don't like fighting in hockey very much (it's usually staged and boring) and I definitely don't want useless goons to start cheapshotting talent again. Maybe it'd be best for the league if 4th lines were filled out by young guys on ELC's learning the game.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
The #MelnykOut crowd (and I was one) have made their point, but enough is enough. Melnyk has for the most part shut up and faded into the background this season, and the Colin White/Thomas Chabot contracts have proven that the team will commit $$$ to keeping its homegrown players long term. Ottawa fans seriously need to decide if their personal vendetta against the owner is worth losing an NHL team to another market, because it can and will happen if attendance doesn't improve.

Reactions: Petrouth

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
I miss the pre game brawls badly. They were an indicator that players actually cared more about winning every game than their Instagram. That anger is just not there anymore.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
1 goal 1 assist.

Secondary assists are nothing but stat padding and 90% of the time have nothing to do with the scoring play.
An assist is a play that DIRECTLY leads to a goal.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad