What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I think the current OT and shootout format, along with the point system is almost perfect.

The only slight tweak I'd make is stopping play in OT after a penalty is killed once play enters the neutral zone. The reason being I've seen it often where minutes go on and on at 4 on 4, effectively eliminating 3 on 3 play, which is a) better at completing the game with a winner in OT, and b) is more exciting.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Ovechkin isn't that good. Nobody wants to be the team to give him 700 and he's now goalless in 5 straight. Teams are actually playing defense on him now. Instead of leaving him wide open for no reason and letting him score the same goals over and over again. 31% of his goals are on the PP. Majority of them are scored the same way. Caps are 1-4 in those 5 games. So the notion of game planning or playing defense on Ovi would open it up for others is false. 1-4. Stop leaving him wide open all game and the Caps aren't that good.

Imagine if teams played defense like this on him on a nightly basis. Instead of letting him have a free skate at the left dot. He would have 300 goals right now tops.

WOW SouthGeorge!! It sounds like you hate Ovi alot. Did he steal your girlfriend or something. Or do you just hate the fact that some people say that Ovi is better than your favorite player?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
WOW SouthGeorge!! It sounds like you hate Ovi alot. Did he steal your girlfriend or something. Or do you just hate the fact that some people say that Ovi is better than your favorite player?

Last 6 games with teams not wanting to let him score 700.... 1 goal and the Caps are 1-4-1. If teams played him like this his whole career you could slash his goal total in half.

Also, he lost his defensive responsibility in OT last night and reason they lost.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
The term skilled player is thrown around way too much. Every player in the league has skills, some just have a different skillset than others.

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
Social media era has been a hindrance to the game, particularly each team having a twitter account

There should be a way to watch games without commentary and only on ice/crowd sounds.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Last 6 games with teams not wanting to let him score 700.... 1 goal and the Caps are 1-4-1. If teams played him like this his whole career you could slash his goal total in half.

Also, he lost his defensive responsibility in OT last night and reason they lost.
Isn't it amazing that teams just didn't bother defending Ovechkin for the last 14 years?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Social media era has been a hindrance to the game, particularly each team having a twitter account

There should be a way to watch games without commentary and only on ice/crowd sounds.

how are either of these controversial? That's like saying On Glass and On Ice ads are annoying and distracting (which is the point I guess) or you should be able to turn off graphics like the score or the stream at the bottom of the screen if there is one.

Reactions: lottster14

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
We should return to more divisional play - especially back to back.

The couple of years Bettman did that, the teams started to really hate each other and were at each others throats.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
That the difference between the best goalie in the NHL and some of the 'worst' isn't actually a very large gap, and that systems (coaching style as well) have a lot more to do with goalie success over the course of their careers. This is true at slightly lower levels of pro hockey as well. (AHL, KHL)

By this same token, it makes it more difficult for goalies in lesser leagues to break into the NHL which is compounded by the fact teams can only reasonably carry two, three at most, goalies on their NHL roster and give them opportunities. This means that something approximating the best ~62 NA goalies being in the NHL at a time, never ever happens.

I believe this also explains why some teams are so called 'goalie graveyards', while others are able to develop successful NHL goalies fairly frequently.

There are of course exceptions to this rule for the very best of the best, elite goalies.

Reactions: Salsa Shark

PuckThumper11

Nov 6, 2019
About 99% of the games are boring.....

....the NHL is a boring league. Hockey is a boring game, outside a couple plays a game.

We, as hockey fans, make fun of the amount of actual "playing" time in Football and Baseball.

But is the NHL any better? I'd say the plays worth watching are significantly less in the NHL than other sports.

Hell, the NBA has end to end slam dunks and alley oops the whole damn game.
I can't agree at all.

Hockey moves a lot- a HELL of a lot.

There are penalties and interruptions which to me is the worst part of any sport, although unfortunately needed.

Still, when you get like ten minutes of uninterrupted ice time, I love it. The back and forth and struggle for the puck and cool offensive and defensive moves. It's like pirates at sea battling for a golden puck. Truly awesome. And the other sports feature running. Hockey gives you gliding which is way more fun to watch for me.

But hey.

Agree to disagree although I wouldn't be posting on a forum about a sport I found boring.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
The vast majority of ex-players have no business working for NHL organizations in any sort of management position after they retire.

These men have a high school education, no business or professional work experience and have spent the better part of two decades having their head bumped around.

I wouldn't trust them to do my taxes, let alone run a half billion dollar franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad