What's Your Most Controversial Hockey Opinion?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Last 6 games with teams not wanting to let him score 700.... 1 goal and the Caps are 1-4-1. If teams played him like this his whole career you could slash his goal total in half.

Also, he lost his defensive responsibility in OT last night and reason they lost.

Then how come teams DIDN'T play him like this his whole career? And just so we are clear on this .... OVI has 699 goals. That's pretty impressive. And you can't slash his total in half because he ACTUALLY scored 699 goals. It sounds like you just don't like him, which is fine, but don't diminish his accomplishments.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Close games are exciting and all, game 1 of FLA/CAR series will be remembered for ages, but... when I'm watching a match between two teams that I have no emotional investment into, and score is is tied halfway through the 3rd period, i'm rooting for "SOMEONE f***IN SCORE, PLEASE!!!!"...

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Leetch was a much better Ranger than Messier

I take Datsyuk over Thornton

Buffalo is a better hockey city than Vancouver

Prime Iginla could go with any tough guy out there. Doesn't mean he would/did win all

Crosby's 2010 olympic performance is massively overrated. Iginla made the best play to get him the puck. Miller allowed a very stoppable goal

Don Cherry was right
He was right.

It's just the way it was relayed that got him in trouble.

Reactions: cowboy82nd

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I am pretty anti-analytics. I think analytics do have some value, any tool is worth using, but these snobs that use them in every discussion about a player and think they know what they are talking about or think they are proving facts usually know nothing about hockey. If you need to use analytics to describe what a player does on the ice, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and not be able to put into context how the team they play for deploys them that either impacts their success or failure then you are likely pretty clueless about hockey. I had a pretty good argument going with some clueless analytics dorks when Jesse Puljujarvi got traded to Carolina and few other of those who are Oilers fans as well over the years. I was called a "hater". No, I am not a hater, I just don't need to look at analytics to understand why Jesse Puljujarvi only has 3 assists in 24 games with Carolina. I had 6 good years of watching the guy to determine that.

PULSATING

Sep 20, 2018
That luck is the biggest factor in determining the outcomes of games and by that token the winner of the Stanley Cup

Reactions: Voight

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
In a salary cap league, there is no reason for a draft, RFA/UFA status, contract term limits, etc.

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
They need to bring back the offside rule from the start of the 1929-30 season; call a delay of game penalty for freezing the puck and icing; do 4 on 4 with a de factor pp when the team gains the offensive zone in OT

Last edited:

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
I am pretty anti-analytics. I think analytics do have some value, any tool is worth using, but these snobs that use them in every discussion about a player and think they know what they are talking about or think they are proving facts usually know nothing about hockey. If you need to use analytics to describe what a player does on the ice, what their strengths and weaknesses are, and not be able to put into context how the team they play for deploys them that either impacts their success or failure then you are likely pretty clueless about hockey. I had a pretty good argument going with some clueless analytics dorks when Jesse Puljujarvi got traded to Carolina and few other of those who are Oilers fans as well over the years. I was called a "hater". No, I am not a hater, I just don't need to look at analytics to understand why Jesse Puljujarvi only has 3 assists in 24 games with Carolina. I had 6 good years of watching the guy to determine that.
Analytics has proven:

Face-offs have no correlation with winning

Dump and chase is less effective than carrying the puck in

Two major conventional wisdoms in hockey- shattered by analytics

Analytics is merely finding patterns and relationships to winning. The trick is to find the meaningful relationships rather than the "eating bread causes cancer" relationship as my stats professor liked to say

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Dump and chase is less effective than carrying the puck in
Is that why every damn team uses the same stupid setup now on the powerplay where they drop the puck back to someone coming up the ice and then have four players standing on the blue line until the carrier brings it over?

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Is that why every damn team uses the same stupid setup now on the powerplay where they drop the puck back to someone coming up the ice and then have four players standing on the blue line until the carrier brings it over?
Possibly.

I have noticed the dump and chase is a lot less common than before- or at least it seems to be

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Parity and game management has made the game worse. Salary cap should be enough to create parity. There is no need to keep penalties even and call games to keep them close.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Defensemen are criminally underrated in the “best players” arguments. In the polls you’ll see Makar usually around #4 or worse. Dude logs more minutes, scores like a solid forward, and shuts down the best opposing players. That’s worth more than a dude who doesn’t make much of an impact if he doesn’t score. Also, D are becoming more important- today’s young guns are used somewhat like a point guard in basketball, a trend that will continue.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The nhl should play no more than 2 games per week and reduce the schedule. There's too many boring ass games in the regular season, and too many games where teams look bad simply due to compressed schedules.

It looks like the play drops after the first round too, and I wonder if things would be different if they play less games before the post season starts.

It will never happen, and perhaps it's not a controversial take, but that's my contribution.

12ozPapa

Make space for The Papa
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2012
Get rid of suspensions on hits that are during plY. Skate with your head up. Why do these people need to be babysat? They know the sport they signed up for, they’re adults. When a fisherman dies, does everyone lose their mind and say the companies need to protect them more? No - it’s part of the job, and part of why you’re paid well.

Reactions: KKWG11

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
The nhl should play no more than 2 games per week and reduce the schedule. There's too many boring ass games in the regular season, and too many games where teams look bad simply due to compressed schedules.

It looks like the play drops after the first round too, and I wonder if things would be different if they play less games before the post season starts.

It will never happen, and perhaps it's not a controversial take, but that's my contribution.
You reminded me of one I forgot:

Reduce playoff series to no more than best of 5

• Haha
Reactions: jigglysquishy

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Goal-differential should be the first tie-breaker. Let's make every minute of every game matter. Shorten the schedule to 76 games to help accommodate.

wasunder

Aug 21, 2014
Get rid of suspensions on hits that are during plY. Skate with your head up. Why do these people need to be babysat? They know the sport they signed up for, they’re adults. When a fisherman dies, does everyone lose their mind and say the companies need to protect them more? No - it’s part of the job, and part of why you’re paid well.
Lol what? Yes if a company had fishermen dying preventable deaths they would be expected to increase safety standards

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad