Confirmed Trade: [VAN/PIT] Derrick Pouliot for Andrey Pedan and 2018 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Man, remember when Pittsburgh had arguably the best future blue line in the NHL?

Pouliot, Dumolin, MAATTA, Harrington?
We were busy over here insisting that having Moore, Savard, Murray, and Goloubef put us in similar company. :)

* * *​
Still pretty good though. 2 of the 4 have been really good.
Yep. And there's at least another depth guy who's been useful on other teams now and again. Interestingly similar outcome. :D

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I remember the pouliot draft and Shero just was never really interested in highly touted euro F's. Remember posters during the draft saying he'd never take forsberg in that slot cuz 1) he loved drafting D and 2) he was a swede while the majority were angrily typing out "TAKE FORSBERG" in the thread.

That was of course when Shero was with PIT. He's probably learned from his mistakes there.

I think it was just Shero being Shero. If it were simply a case of him having an aversion to Europeans, he could have taken Trouba in that spot. Instead, he tried to outsmart everyone in the hockey world and ended up getting burned.

The irony is Trouba checked off pretty much every box Shero usually loves. American, NCAA college player, two way defenseman.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
The Penguins elite D prospect pool from 2012 yielded 3 top-4 D (Maatta, Despres and Dumoulin), 2 depth D (Morrow and Harrington) and a guy who has yet to establish himself as a NHL D (Pouliot). I really don't think that's all that bad. Getting a top-4 D from 50% of your 1st or 2nd round picks is pretty damn solid, and it's even better when you consider that 5 of 6 1st or 2nd round picks ended up being NHL regulars of some capacity.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
The Penguins elite D prospect pool from 2012 yielded 3 top-4 D (Maatta, Despres and Dumoulin), 2 depth D (Morrow and Harrington) and a guy who has yet to establish himself as a NHL D (Pouliot). I really don't think that's all that bad. Getting a top-4 D from 50% of your 1st or 2nd round picks is pretty damn solid, and it's even better when you consider that 5 of 6 1st or 2nd round picks ended up being NHL regulars of some capacity.

Plus with the exception of Pouliot they were usually picking near the end of the rounds. It's not like these guys were a bunch of blue chippers.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Columbus got two top-4 D (Murray, Savard), two depth guys (Moore, Prout), and two guys who haven't proven themselves in the NHL (Erixon, Goloubef). Not as nice, but still pretty decent.

Nobody got any stars out of it, though, and we were all so sure at least somebody would step up to that level. Oh well.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Well as a Canucks fan, and Penguins being my second favourite team...this is an interesting trade. No real harm done to either side if it doesn’t work out.

Somehow I think Pittsburg will make something yet out of Pedan. He is so raw, but has that mean nasty edge, and can really lay people out.

This preseason, I was actually really happy with the way he played (he was paired with Tanev though who can make just about anyone look good). He was making smart little outlet plays, clearing the crease, and taking no prisoners. I was hoping he would stick around, but glad I’ll still get to cheer him on for the Pens.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
I think it was just Shero being Shero. If it were simply a case of him having an aversion to Europeans, he could have taken Trouba in that spot. Instead, he tried to outsmart everyone in the hockey world and ended up getting burned.

The irony is Trouba checked off pretty much every box Shero usually loves. American, NCAA college player, two way defenseman.

To me, Shero was still glowing at himself regarding the return he got from Dallas for a PMD in Gogo. From that point on, he collected Dmen. Morrow was a bust, Pouliott was a bust ... Harrington never materialized in Pittsburgh; Samuelson never developed ... all we have is Maatta. Not a good hit rate.

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
Posters talking about Pedan knocking guys around, or answering the bell, or anything of the like- should take into account his concussion history.

In fact the terrible KO he got might have been what knocked his entire career off course in the first place. According to reports out of Utica he was playing pretty good hockey and moving up the depth chart when that happened.

If the Pens expect him to fight, they're doing the wrong thing.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Will be interesting to see if Pouliot gets sent to Utica of the AHL. Wish him the best of luck back in the West but considering the Pens gave him multiple chances including playoffs to prove he belonged but he never looked like he did.:(

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Will be interesting to see if Pouliot gets sent to Utica of the AHL. Wish him the best of luck back in the West but considering the Pens gave him multiple chances including playoffs to prove he belonged but he never looked like he did.:(

Pouliot just got traded because he required waivers to go down to the AHL, he'd be claimed if Vancouver tried to put him on waivers.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Pouliot just got traded because he required waivers to go down to the AHL, he'd be claimed if Vancouver tried to put him on waivers.

Would he? If he can't make it on Vancouver's roster wouldn't the interest around the league diminish. This scenario would happen after he played some games for Vancouver and started to get scratched.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Posters talking about Pedan knocking guys around, or answering the bell, or anything of the like- should take into account his concussion history.

In fact the terrible KO he got might have been what knocked his entire career off course in the first place. According to reports out of Utica he was playing pretty good hockey and moving up the depth chart when that happened.

I'd rather he not fight and just play the game (in the hopefully limited opportunities he gets to do that).

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Calgary fans when Baertschi was traded: "He isn't very good! He couldn't stay on the roster!"

Calgary fans when Granlund was traded: "He isn't very good! He couldn't stay on the roster!"

I think we have been down this road before. Benning likes prospects who are moreso stuck behind depth rather than incapable of playing regular minutes.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Calgary fans when Baertschi was traded: "He isn't very good! He couldn't stay on the roster!"

Calgary fans when Granlund was traded: "He isn't very good! He couldn't stay on the roster!"

I think we have been down this road before. Benning likes prospects who are moreso stuck behind depth rather than incapable of playing regular minutes.
I'd be surprised if Pouliot, who has shown nothing playing in his several stints with the Pens, suddenly turns it around to be a serviceable player at the NHL level.

It wouldn't be unheard of, for sure, and I don't think he's guaranteed to fail, but I'd still be surprised.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

I think most of us expect him to play in the AHL. If he surpasses expectation that's great. I doubt they got him to fight, though, that's why they went and got Reaves.

Pouliot has kind of been both tbh. The fact is he couldn't outplay Chad Ruhwedel and Matt Hunwick and grab a 6/7 D spot. Guys like David Warsofsky and Taylor Chorney were getting called up instead of Pouliot when there were injuries to the NHL team.

It's not like we're just trying to disparage him because he's been traded, if you drop by the Pens board and read pretty much anything about him going back several years you'd see people saying the same stuff. Nobody was rooting harder for him to pan out than Pens fans. He just couldn't put it together, apparently on or off the ice. If he's able to do it somewhere else and salvage a career, good for him. I hope he can.

Reactions: td_ice

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015

Benning likes them because they are cheap. And considering we had no prospects to speak of when he began, and our veteran assets have all plummeted in value, targeting cheap options was his and our best, and possibly only real bet.

It's not like we could have afforded to deal Tanev for him 3 years ago. We need to amass a bunch of cheap assets, hope some pay off, then move them for better players. Repeat.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
harmless trade in terms of assets. Canucks traded a solid player in Pedan, couldn't hold a roster spot on the 2nd worst team in the NHL and a 4th round pick, for a player that was a high end prospect a for a few years now. No harm no foul, harmless trade for both sides. win win for both. Hopefully the Canucks can turn Pouliout around.

Love the pathetic attempt by Canuck haters who are trying to make Pouliout sound as like he's a vey very very bad player. You know the Canucks did good in a trade when the player they acquired gets attacked, ignoring the other players going the other way.

The Canuck

Feb 22, 2017
I think most of us expect him to play in the AHL. If he surpasses expectation that's great. I doubt they got him to fight, though, that's why they went and got Reaves.

Pouliot has kind of been both tbh. The fact is he couldn't outplay Chad Ruhwedel and Matt Hunwick and grab a 6/7 D spot. Guys like David Warsofsky and Taylor Chorney were getting called up instead of Pouliot when there were injuries to the NHL team.

It's not like we're just trying to disparage him because he's been traded, if you drop by the Pens board and read pretty much anything about him going back several years you'd see people saying the same stuff. Nobody was rooting harder for him to pan out than Pens fans. He just couldn't put it together, apparently on or off the ice. If he's able to do it somewhere else and salvage a career, good for him. I hope he can.

What silundin is saying, we've been down this road before. When the Canucks fans found we traded our best offensive prospect and a pick, for Granlund and Baertschi, (in two separate deals) so many Flames fans were laughing. Now both of those guys are exceeding all Canucks fans expectations.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Pouliot is worth the gamble.either he works or he do,s not.
We have had luck with the Grandlunds,and Beartschi,s.So as a Canuck fan im lliking this.Maybe Travis Green can get this guy more motivated..The way our D-men drop like flys during the season Pouliot will get lots of playing time.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
You have to be one of those fans that questioned the Baertschi and Granlund deals also. Please just d us all a favour and be quiet. At least give the guy a damn chance.

Nope, this won't happen, he will not give this player a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad