Confirmed Trade: [VAN/PIT] Derrick Pouliot for Andrey Pedan and 2018 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
Pouliot was the 2nd star in the game (after Markstrom who got his first shutout in 115 or so starts). He had 3 points and a highlight reel goal. I think looking back on it this was a win-win trade for both teams. Pens had enough depth on D that they were considering waivers for Pouliot, and instead Pens got free assets. Canucks got a reclamation project that looks to have got his confidence back. Still needs to work on his defensive game though.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Pouliot was the 2nd star in the game (after Markstrom who got his first shutout in 115 or so starts). He had 3 points and a highlight reel goal. I think looking back on it this was a win-win trade for both teams. Pens had enough depth on D that they were considering waivers for Pouliot, and instead Pens got free assets. Canucks got a reclamation project that looks to have got his confidence back. Still needs to work on his defensive game though.

As a Pens fan, I'm comfortable calling this one a win mainly for the Nucks and the player, though I appreciate your magnanimity. Yeah, the assets are nice, especially knowing DP was never going to take the next steps in Pitt. Hopefully Pedan can turn into something good or that pick turns into a good player. So far Pedan seems to have found a good stride in WBS, and with another injury on the Pens blue-line someone is gonna get a callup soon (probably Corrado, but you never know). It's still early days, but Pouliot clearly had the talent to stick and become a star in the NHL.

Either way, sometimes it just goes down like this. The Pens saw it with Schultz. sometimes a gamble just works. I'm sure Edmonton isnt that mad about it, since they got a decent pick for a player who was a flop there. Similarly, you've got the real even win-win moves where both teams immediately benefit (think like Hagelin for Perron a couple of years ago). I would much rather my team lost an asset for very little, and then saw the player carve out a successful career elsewhere.

And on a personal note, every time I watched DP here, my mind flew back to the 2012 draft thinking Filip Forsberg was gonna be a Pen. Made me a little sad, man. Its great all around that he is living up to his potential and talent in Vancouver.

Jabba The Hutton

Nucks STH
Jul 28, 2009
UBC
And on a personal note, every time I watched DP here, my mind flew back to the 2012 draft thinking Filip Forsberg was gonna be a Pen. Made me a little sad, man. Its great all around that he is living up to his potential and talent in Vancouver.

It's ok, you've had two cups since then. ;)

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Pens are going to love Pedan...He is not afraid to fight and has an offensive upside. Isles fan here...we drafted him and traded him because we have far too many dmen in the system. He would have never seen the light of day.

He is the typical dman you want on your blue line...he loves mixing it up and battles well.

settinguptheplay

Classless Canuck Fan
Apr 3, 2008
Pens are going to love Pedan...He is not afraid to fight and has an offensive upside. Isles fan here...we drafted him and traded him because we have far too many dmen in the system. He would have never seen the light of day.

He is the typical dman you want on your blue line...he loves mixing it up and battles well.

Pedan should not even be fighting anymore. Although he will still drop them. He also has a concussion history that is quickly catching up to him. Made me cringe every time I watched him fight. He is a good AHL guy whom can hold his own in short call ups. The Pens have a better chance at getting a regular NHL player from the 4th rd pick.

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Pouliot wasn't gonna be afforded a legitimate opportunity here for quite some time. I'm not that upset with the trade, I just hoped we could have extracted a bit more value. But while he was here he didn't exactly set the league on fire. Sort of the Shultz trade in reverse.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
so Pouliot is a bust then since Pittsburgh traded him

I think in relation to his draft status (7th OVA, 5 years ago), and where he's currently at, calling him a bust is fairly appropriate. He could still salvage that, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Pouliot has been a pleasant surprise so far this season. He's getting better every game based on his confidence growing. He's a solid #5 right now, but is starting to look like he will be a staple in our top 4 (which isn't saying much given our defence and injuries, but still).

I think you'll be hard pressed to find many Pens fans who are disappointed that Pittsburgh traded him, or who are not happy for Pouliot finding success in Vancouver.
Bust or disappointment? Big difference, I think he's disappointed but to say he's busted is to say he has no place in this league where he has shown he can play.

I don't think that's the definition of bust. Most would say it's more about where expectations where when the player was drafted. Is a 5th round pick a bust if they don't make the NHL? No, simply because the odds were always against them. But a 7th overall pick from 5 years ago? Different story. Dumoulin took 5 years to get to the NHL, and that's not that uncommon. However we also saw progress with him every single year - we didn't see that with Pouliot.

Canucks won this, Pouliot will be one of their prime D for the next ten years.
Pouliot has looked great

As people have said, great for him and for Vancouver. I don't think anyone bears him any ill will. It just didn't pan out here for him - it happens.

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Pouliot wasn't gonna be afforded a legitimate opportunity here for quite some time. I'm not that upset with the trade, I just hoped we could have extracted a bit more value. But while he was here he didn't exactly set the league on fire. Sort of the Shultz trade in reverse.
This echo's myself, the writing was on the wall that he was not going to play himself into the Pittsburgh lineup no matter what he did on the ice, which towards the end of his time here was not that much. Pittsburgh fans will argue amongst themselves that since his draft date whether he was given enough of a chance on ice to show he could be a Pittsburgh Penguin, fan base is cut about in half on that one. I lay in the middle on that debate. Regardless of that, the odds of him cracking the lineup as a regular were slim so I was fine with trading him when he was, I just wish the return would've been a bit more. But I am happy, in a different conference, he is figuring out his game. Wish him the best in Vancouver.

stuckin94

Nov 20, 2016
As a Pens fan, I'm comfortable calling this one a win mainly for the Nucks and the player, though I appreciate your magnanimity. Yeah, the assets are nice, especially knowing DP was never going to take the next steps in Pitt. Hopefully Pedan can turn into something good or that pick turns into a good player. So far Pedan seems to have found a good stride in WBS, and with another injury on the Pens blue-line someone is gonna get a callup soon (probably Corrado, but you never know). It's still early days, but Pouliot clearly had the talent to stick and become a star in the NHL.

Either way, sometimes it just goes down like this. The Pens saw it with Schultz. sometimes a gamble just works. I'm sure Edmonton isnt that mad about it, since they got a decent pick for a player who was a flop there. Similarly, you've got the real even win-win moves where both teams immediately benefit (think like Hagelin for Perron a couple of years ago). I would much rather my team lost an asset for very little, and then saw the player carve out a successful career elsewhere.

WOW! A hockey fan who isn't delusional, and can take in information and process it, then be honest about it!

This guy for President!

stuckin94

Nov 20, 2016
This echo's myself, the writing was on the wall that he was not going to play himself into the Pittsburgh lineup no matter what he did on the ice, which towards the end of his time here was not that much. Pittsburgh fans will argue amongst themselves that since his draft date whether he was given enough of a chance on ice to show he could be a Pittsburgh Penguin, fan base is cut about in half on that one. I lay in the middle on that debate. Regardless of that, the odds of him cracking the lineup as a regular were slim so I was fine with trading him when he was, I just wish the return would've been a bit more. But I am happy, in a different conference, he is figuring out his game. Wish him the best in Vancouver.

It's a weird thing but I've seen it more than once.

Sometime's an organization has a hate-on for their own prospects,

It's happening in Vancouver with Jordan Subban right now

BTW if you guys want revenge, trade for him, I bet he puts up 40pts with you guys. He was an AHL all star, led the team in scoring (as a defensemen) but hasn't played a single NHL game, every year or defensemen is decimated, the popcorn guy ends up taking some shifts on D, and gets a little PP time, Subban? NOPE! But he's an all-star, who leads the team in scoring, go figure

Listening to Van management you wouldn't think the guy knows how to skate

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

I do not actually think that was the case with DP. He looked good in the spring of 2016. However we traded for Schultz, and Schultz took his roster spot, and DP couldn't get it back. He played a few PO games, but didn't stand out. The following year most (if not all) Pen fans said it was a battle between DP and Schultz for the #6 spot. Schultz took it and ran home with it, and it wasn't even close. From there on, DP went down hill in terms of what we saw on the ice. His games were inconsistent, and rarely did he ever play better as he played more games - and if he did, it was only for a pair of games. He'd have games where he had a good couple of shifts, then make a mistake and the puck was in the back of the net. At no point did he ever appear to get any sort of traction in terms of how he was playing for us at the NHL level.

Bottom line, is there was just no progress from him while in PIT. Yes he's young, but few contending teams can hang onto a guy and keep hoping that he can finally figure it out. At some point, he's either able to play at this level and on their team, or he's not and it's time to cut bait. Fortunately for DP and Vancouver, it was time to cut bait with him in Pittsburgh, and everyone is better off because of it.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

BTW if you guys want revenge, trade for him, I bet he puts up 40pts with you guys. He was an AHL all star, led the team in scoring (as a defensemen) but hasn't played a single NHL game, every year or defensemen is decimated, the popcorn guy ends up taking some shifts on D, and gets a little PP time, Subban? NOPE! But he's an all-star, who leads the team in scoring, go figure

It was not a "hate-on" as you call it, its just simply he couldn't make opportunity happen with the chances he was given and was outplayed by players drafted or by players acquired. There was never any "hate" from the organization, at least in anything sports media got ahold of or by the fan base. He just simply never hacked it here at the right time or for a long enough period of sustained play, wish we could've gotten more for him but it really was time to move on.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Nice to see Pouliot playing better. What we don't need are any delusional Canucks fans saying how stupid Pittsburgh was in trading him. Pouliot and Mike Sullivan did not get along. One glaring mistake from Pouliot and Sullivan would bench him. Pens were never firing a back-to-back cup winning head coach to wait for Pouliot to come around to the way they wanted him to play. Going back to Western Canada and playing for Travis Green probably has saved his chance at becoming an NHL player.:nod:

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Subban's never been given a chance. Gets cut from camp without even playing an exhibition game. It's like management wants him to become a superstar in the AHL before getting a sniff in the NHL. Some players play better in the NHL than the AHL, for whatever reason.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
I don't think that's the definition of bust. Most would say it's more about where expectations where when the player was drafted. Is a 5th round pick a bust if they don't make the NHL? No, simply because the odds were always against them. But a 7th overall pick from 5 years ago? Different story. Dumoulin took 5 years to get to the NHL, and that's not that uncommon. However we also saw progress with him every single year - we didn't see that with Pouliot.
I'd class a bust as someone who doesn't make the NHL or only plays a handful of games. A player who makes it but not as good as expected is a disappointment.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

He's also pretty terrible at defence, which is not good for a defenceman.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
earlier it was the pens who got fleeced in the deal, what happened to him?
[mod]

In this instance, he has played quite poorly lately, but he's always been a mediocre #6/7 mistake prone PP defender. That's his potential and that's where he will sit. Due to his nature he will have great highs and just great lows, and you will see the same fans come out each time with either "he sucks!" or "Pens got fleeced!". In realty he's just meh, and the trade was just meh on both sides

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad