Confirmed Trade: [VAN/PIT] Derrick Pouliot for Andrey Pedan and 2018 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The Penguins got owned big time.

Why? Pouliot needs waivers to go to the minors, and doesn't come close to being able to crack Pittsburgh's top 7 - and honestly, on most blueline's in the NHL he shouldn't be more then a 6/7D at this point.

Which means we would have had to waive him and then lose him for nothing. Pedan and a 4th isn't much... but it's better than nothing.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I like this trade. Pens fans are super happy to see him go, which isn't always a good sign, but there is a connection with Greener and the Winterhawks. Travis has a rep for getting the best out of younger players so this could be a windfall for the Canucks. If it doesn't work out, well, it's not like you lost something that isn't replaceable. (even the pick)

On paper, this smells like a win. We'll see what happens n the ice.

Pen fans aren't happy to see him go because he's a bad player (although his NHL potential is fairly questionable), it's just that he had no place here, and had we waived him, Shero would have claimed him. So while we didn't get much, something /anything is better than nothing.

As for Vancouver, if he pans out there, great. I think most Pen fans would be happy for him/them. It's not like it's any skin off our backs, as he was never going to get the chance to pan out here - he just hasn't been that good when giving the chance to play. He had a pretty good group of games in 15/16, but then we went and got Schultz. Ever since then, he's bombed it here and been a disappointment. And if DP doesn't pan out, it's not like Vancouver gave up anything significant for him. 4th rounders get tossed around like candy and most picked there in the draft are not NHL regulars. It's a cheap win/win trade for both teams.

Reactions: skyo

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Honestly, it's not a bad gamble but it would have made more sense for the Canucks to gamble on a player with more talent, IMO (i.e. Yakupov). Pouliot legitimately isn't very good.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Pouliot may turn out great, but he isnt leapfrogging letang or Shultz on the PP or in the role on D he was groomed for, and he won't take ice time from any of the other 4... he needs to play through his issues and he has nothing left to prove in the ahl and no exemption to get there... his best bet was to be #8 here hoping to get a chance with injury... why not give the kid a fresh start...

Reactions: nwhockeyfan

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
If only the Pens had picked Forsberg instead. I bet Martin Erat would've scored at least 30 points playing with Crosby.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Yeah this happens all the time on here. A team gets a 'stacked' group of defensive prospects, and fans think they'll have a top blue line in the immediate/near future. As a general rule of thumb this never works out, chances are slim that the prospect group will be able to catch or surpass a team that has a good blueline already in place that is able to add a new regular every few seasons.

Anyways for the trade, I'd love to be proven wrong but not really happy with it considering Benning's history of giving up picks in this manner. Keep in mind that Pittsburgh likely would have waived Pouliot in a day or two, and with waiver order Canucks would have had 1st dibs to claim him.

False.

Colorado does until November 1st.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Terrible trade. Pittsburgh destroys us on value again... And also again gets a pick out of it.
Pedan is a head case... Extremely inconsistent from shift to shift, and a hot head..... Was a healthy scratch several times during the comets run for a playoff spot last spring....

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Pedan is a head case... Extremely inconsistent from shift to shift, and a hot head..... Was a healthy scratch several times during the comets run for a playoff spot last spring....
Pedan for Pouliot is a wash.

It's pretty much throwing away a 4th round pick that irks me. He's done this many times.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Pouliot has way higher NHL potential. If we could even get a third-pairing regular out of this, it's more than we'll have ever gotten from Pedan.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Its like Benning is upset he made a couple good trades at the TDL last year and has to immediately return to trading like a moron. Like what is this? :facepalm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad