Confirmed Trade: [VAN/PIT] Derrick Pouliot for Andrey Pedan and 2018 4th round pick

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
We'll give you our crappy player for your crappy player (who you're about to waive), and we will throw in a pick.

Classic Benning.

BHD

Here comes Skinner
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Oh well. He was almost never going to dress for the Pens, and would have been a liability if he did.

Thegame

Jul 28, 2013
My god some of you posters are bad. Whining about a 4th round pick? Proabably the same people who whined about the Granlund and Baertschi trades. How'd that turn out? Shinkaruk is a bust and Granlund is probably going to put up over 20 goals this season. Baertschi is also a legit 2nd liner now. Like I said a long time ago, Benning is going to make a lot of you look stupid.

Doesn't matter if he was going to be waived, Colorado most like would have picked him up for sure.

Reactions: BB6

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Pedan actually looked decent in the pre-season, paired with Tanev though. Could be a decent call up if injuries occur. How has Pouliot looked?

Clueless most of the time.
He actually has acclimated to the AHL well enough but he could never gain traction at that next jump in competition.
This pre-season he was around 10th on my depth chart in PIT and with Schultz and Bengtsson now, there was no need to keep Pouliot around anymore since he was just taking up a roster spot that was needed for a F.

I wish Pooh Bear the best of luck in VAN.
He does deserve a chance on a team like VAN that can play him alot.

Reactions: Giskard

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
My god some of you posters are bad. Whining about a 4th round pick? Proabably the same people who whined about the Granlund and Baertschi trades. How'd that turn out? Shinkaruk is a bust and Granlund is probably going to put up over 20 goals this season. Baertschi is also a legit 2nd liner now. Like I said a long time ago, Benning is going to make a lot of you look stupid.

Doesn't matter if he was going to be waived, Colorado most like would have picked him up for sure.

Benning makes himself look stupid because he is a FOOL

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Pedan is a physical specimen who can skate and shoot the puck as hard as most anyone. Can be really bounce bodies around when he is the mood. On a macro basis he appears good but on a micro one involving deft skill, anticipation and vision he is lacking. Just seems clueless at times and that hasn't changed much over the years. Canucks finally gave up on him even though he was showing some progress this pre-season.

When I saw Pouliot in Willes - Barre he seemed soft around his net and lacked much amplitude in his game. Very vanilla and certainly not dynamic.

Straight across deal seemed appropriate. Thus, as Canuck fan (not the easiest thing to be) you wonder why the 4th was thrown in.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
I looked back at the 2012 NHL Draft when Pouliot was taken -

(58:00 mark).

I had forgotten Pitts traded to get this pick as part the Staal trade. LOL at comparing him to Kris Letang at the time. Hindsight is 50/50 of course. One of the few things the Pens have gotten wrong in recent years. (picking Pouliot)

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Good riddance, the guy was given opportunities to succeed and continued to look lost every time, he had a few bright moments, but it rarely ever sustained for any semblance of a consistent period of time. He's at times, sluggish with his positioning, doesn't use his speed to get out of bad situations, lacks intensity, lacks any kind of awareness when he does give up the puck in a bad situation and then he doesn't hustle back to make up for it.

Just a lot of clueless moments with this kid. Pedan is whatever, the 4th is what we're happy with. At best, Pouliot was going to get waived, get claimed and be gone, this way at least JR got something.

For you Canucks fans that think this is a Granlund and Baertschi situation, furthest from it. In both of those guys' situation, either the team didn't want to give them a shot or they were buried by other talent.

Pens have so many injuries on the blueline every year, someone always emerges, Pouliot is always given shot to emerge, someone else always does instead.

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
:laugh: Way too many people upset about this. Our fan base must have either really thin skin or none at all :laugh:

Keep swinging for the fences Benning. This kid is 23, 24 in Jan tons of untapped potential. These are the moves you can make when your in a position where the canucks are. It's literally a guessing game where we finish, could be anywhere from 17th-31st. Could even (doubt it) make the post-season. Lots of what-ifs.

Edit: IMO Pedan was a contract throw in was never going to play for the canucks the trade was really a 4th for Pouliot

Krnuckfan

Oct 11, 2006
Anyone who thinks a 23 year old former high draft pick who has yet to crack an NHL roster full time still has "tons of untapped potential" knows nothing about prospect development

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
I looked back at the 2012 NHL Draft when Pouliot was taken -

(58:00 mark).

I had forgotten Pitts traded to get this pick as part the Staal trade. LOL at comparing him to Kris Letang at the time. Hindsight is 50/50 of course. One of the few things the Pens have gotten wrong in recent years. (picking Pouliot)

It still amazes me that Flip Forsberg was like the 3rd rated player that draft and he fell to 11th. It's like what did he do to drop so much

IMO Pedan was a contract throw in was never going to play for the canucks the trade was really a 4th for Pouliot

I sort of disagree, Pedan is a guy you bring up like 3-5 games a season to "take care of business" and when you are in a division with Radko Gudas and Tom Wilson, business will pop up alot

nucksauce

Oct 30, 2013
I sort of disagree, Pedan is a guy you bring up like 3-5 games a season to "take care of business" and when you are in a division with Radko Gudas and Tom Wilson, business will pop up alot

He fits definitely better with the Pens, he's better suited for the role they require when injuries pile up and you need a stop gap #6 in the playoffs. He didn't fit anywhere with the canucks, we have lots of guys ahead of him in Biega, Holm, Wierchioch and Chatfiled I would rather taking time when injuries happen for us. As for the intimidation tough guy thing we have "those types" in Dorsett and Gudbransson. If that was something we were really worried about we would have signed White already.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I remember the pouliot draft and Shero just was never really interested in highly touted euro F's. Remember posters during the draft saying he'd never take forsberg in that slot cuz 1) he loved drafting D and 2) he was a swede while the majority were angrily typing out "TAKE FORSBERG" in the thread.

That was of course when Shero was with PIT. He's probably learned from his mistakes there.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
Rolling the dice on a former highly thought of young d-man finding his game with a change of scenery (and with a new coach that knows his game) for a 4th rounder.

Probably a longshot, but for a 4th round pick, with Greens input, I’d say it’s a gamble worth taking.
He will likely have to wait for a couple of injuries to draw into the lineup.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You can't hide stupid . So of course Benning looks stupid

Imagine you are in his shoes for a moment. You go to the Sedins and ask "will you waive your NTC?" and they flatly refuse. Would you then be stupid for not trading the Sedins, just like Benning is? No. Because it isn't something that can be done.

Same with Edler, who also refused to waive already.

Benning is in a very difficult situation, and it's not just the no-trade clauses, either.

Empoleon877130

Sep 27, 2017
Sweet, I get to watch Riley Sheahan for 82 games now:laugh:

From Friedman's 30 thoughts:

Pittsburgh has waited on Athanasiou (and a potential trade with Detroit) long enough. The Penguins are resuming their search for a third-line centre.

So I wonder if yesterday was the deadline the Penguins set for this trade to happen, and since the Wings still haven't signed Athanasiou, they pulled the trade offer and went to look elsewhere.

The Canuck

Feb 22, 2017
You can't hide stupid . So of course Benning looks stupid
Just like the dumpster fire that was in Edmonton? At least it didn't take the Canucks a decade to figure out to rebuild nor can they purposely tank for a franchise changing player. So I guess it takes a stupid to know a stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad