News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Remember when Acton's son made the team? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Keegan goes to Europe.

To be fair Will Acton made the team when there wasnt a whole lot of competition and while he should not have made the team he was only marginally worse than the alternatives.

Reactions: RebuildTheRebuild

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
To be fair Will Acton made the team when there wasnt a whole lot of competition and while he should not have made the team he was only marginally worse than the alternatives.

Will Acton didn't have a lot of competition because the Oilers signed him fully intending for him to be their fourth line centre. They didn't think they needed anyone else. I remember creating a big stink the summer we signed him because the Oilers had a press release announcing the number Acton had chosen in like August before he had even played a pre-season game for us. Teams don't give numbers to their AHL players before training camp.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Lagesson was not as sharp as I thought he would be but he was better than Lowe and in the same ballpark as others.

Would have liked him and Benson to stick around longer.

Marody has looked good, no issues with him sticking.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Thats quite accurate as i recall things as well. The Centre depth was terrible and that opened up a spot for Acton.

To easy to yell nepotism sometimes.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
I thought Bouchard looked pretty bad at times tonight. I still have faith he'll develop into a solid top 4 defenceman, but he isn't ready and needs a season to work on the defensive side of things. As of this moment, I'd probably go with a blueline like this:

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Gravel-Russell
Garrison

I had high hopes for Jerabek, but he's been a tire fire so far. Bear has been hit and miss and I'd give him more time in the AHL. I don't love the idea of Benning in the top 4 but I don't see any way around it unless the team brings in another right handed defenceman.

Reactions: The Batman

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Aberg and Chiasson have outplayed Caggiula and Kassian so far.
I'm curious to see if Chiarelli has a trade in mind for when Sekera hits LTIR given that he brought in both Upshall and Chiasson. Those moves always seemed a little odd to me given that we already have similar player types fighting for a bottom line wing spot (ie. Caggiula, Kassian, Aberg, etc.). I'd be happy if we moved out $3.5M in salary with Caggiula + Kassian, kept Upshall and Chiasson on minimum contracts, and used the extra cap space to bring in a defenceman.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
I'm curious to see if Chiarelli has a trade in mind for when Sekera hits LTIR given that he brought in both Upshall and Chiasson. Those moves always seemed a little odd to me given that we already have similar player types fighting for a bottom line wing spot (ie. Caggiula, Kassian, Aberg, etc.). I'd be happy if we moved out $3.5M in salary with Caggiula + Kassian, kept Upshall and Chiasson on minimum contracts, and used the extra cap space to bring in a defenceman.

Jeff petes?

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
Aberg and Chiasson have outplayed Caggiula and Kassian so far.

Honestly – and this is strictly my perspective from watching the first games without an overly dedicated eye – none of the 4 have particularly stood out to me in any way yet.

I mean, Kassian took a stupid penalty, but that's kind of just how the Kassian do. I'm totally open to being corrected here if any of these players have done something particularly impressive, but I literally have only noticed one play, and it was the Kass one I mentioned.

Reactions: MessierII

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Honestly – and this is strictly my perspective from watching the first games without an overly dedicated eye – none of the 4 have particularly stood out to me in any way yet.

I mean, Kassian took a stupid penalty, but that's kind of just how the Kassian do. I'm totally open to being corrected here if any of these players have done something particularly impressive, but I literally have only noticed one play, and it was the Kass one I mentioned.

Chiasson has looked like he deserves a spot in both of his games IMO. Aberg looked good last night. Kassian was a negative player in his game and Caggiula, for having the highest TOI in his game, wasn’t noticeable.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Man, Ty Rattie. I know Winnipeg didn't have much of a squad and preseason points aren't much, but he's just doing so many things right, beating guys to spots, good positioning on the forecheck, creating turn overs and finding his teammates.

This guy's come in on a mission, and I'm sorry I doubted his after the end of last season

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Man, Ty Rattie. I know Winnipeg didn't have much of a squad and preseason points aren't much, but he's just doing so many things right, beating guys to spots, good positioning on the forecheck, creating turn overs and finding his teammates.

This guy's come in on a mission, and I'm sorry I doubted his after the end of last season

You should be sorry.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I had high hopes for Jerabek, but he's been a tire fire so far. Bear has been hit and miss and I'd give him more time in the AHL. I don't love the idea of Benning in the top 4 but I don't see any way around it unless the team brings in another right handed defenceman.

Hasn't he been paired mostly with Lowe? 'cause there's your problem.

Reactions: McGhost Division
Oct 15, 2008
Hard to believe there are those still willing to defend the dog shit management of this organization. Oh no, they could never be involved in favouring friends or family!

Pfffft!

Reactions: McGhost Division

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hasn't he been paired mostly with Lowe? 'cause there's your problem.
Nope, he was pair with Bear, and he was dragging Bear down. Jerabek is making bad reads and his positioning has been poor.

I hope the organization is having a conversation with him about not being part of the NHL club going forward, because there's no way he's there at this point. Gravel has been far better as a #7.

Reactions: Aerchon

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Couldn't be happier with how all of the young RWers have performed so far. Rattie looks like he's at least going to start with the McDavid line, Puljujarvi is doing everything that I wanted to see from him, and even Yamamoto has been good enough so far to earn a look on opening night so far. Reider better watch out, because I bet Yamamoto's going to get a shot on that second line with Draisaitl's line not scoring. Reider could find himself on the fourth line if he doesn't step it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad