News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Lowe is getting the benefit of the doubt because he was our best defender in the AHL last year.

By all accounts he's a guy that works hard an listens to coaches.

Add this all up and it's no surprise he's here on merit, although I don't expect many on here to get this.

TM said it best "training camp isn't fair, it is up to players to make it fair and force hands"

Jones and Lagesson were better than Lowe by miles

Reactions: Aerchon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Ah c'mon man, you're better than this. I would like to see Lowe and MacT flushed out of management as much as anyone, but his kid is a decent 7/8 option and they're keeping him around a bit until they're certain he won't be needed up here. That's all. He was already playing that role last year.

I'm saying it kind of tongue in cheek but let's be honest, if his last name was Stanton after that horrendous performance against the Canucks, would he have made the cut? I'm honestly not sure, and I usually dismiss this nepotism talk.

Also, I'm not better than this. ;)

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Lowe is just here as an extra body. With him already having a place down there and knowing he was going, probably doesn't need any time to gather his things and get settled there.
More home cooking for him I guess. Would be amusing if he makes the trip to Europe with the big club :) Imagine HfOil..

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
There's not much to suggest this, he's getting sent down now so start his season in the AHL. The year is long.
I didn’t mean to suggest he couldn’t play well enough to force a call up eventually. I just meant the AHL was the logical destination and he would have had to be incredible in camp to change that.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Lowe is getting the benefit of the doubt because he was our best defender in the AHL last year."

Well certainly helps explain why the farm team missed the playoffs last year.

If I were an NHL manager I would use the "Keegan Lowe" slot on the farm team to bring in a mentor for the kids that has some actual NHL experience and playing ability.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd be absolutely incensed if I was one of the cuts. You have to work your ass off while a kid with a famous last name has stunk it up every game he's slotted in, and you're the one cut first?

That'll be my last comment on that waste of space. I feel for kids who work their asses off and get told "sucks to not be named Lowe". I feel badly for them.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well certainly helps explain why the farm team missed the playoffs last year.

If I were an NHL manager I would use the "Keegan Lowe" slot on the farm team to bring in a mentor for the kids that has some actual NHL experience and playing ability.
That probably is the plan. That or let a guy that isn't going to get stunted sit in the pressbox

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I didn’t mean to suggest he couldn’t play well enough to force a call up eventually. I just meant the AHL was the logical destination and he would have had to be incredible in camp to change that.
Yes, that I'll agree with completely, and probably the best choice given what he's been through, that you stated. Though I will say I would bet the team is very happy with what he brought to the table in camp.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I would be willing to bet that he is not going to Europe.
I think some people are just looking for reasons to get all worked up and roast the org some more. :nod:
Two year deal I think, so I doubt he's leaving anytime soon.

Keegan is also one of those defenders that takes awhile to develop and he probably somewhat hopes in the next two years he makes his way to the NHL. If he doesn't maybe at 27 he tries one more organization or goes to Europe.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
First pre-season game is 29th, so should be this weekend you'd think

Thanks.

That makes sense to me then. If you don't have any expectation of him making the NHL team, get him down and ready to blow the doors of the AHL when the season starts.

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
That probably is the plan. That or let a guy that isn't going to get stunted sit in the pressbox
I think your point about the press box spot is fair but Jerabek or Gravel fit the bill too. If Bouchard gets 9 games that takes another spot.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Thanks.

That makes to me then. If you don't have any expectation of him making the NHL team, get him down and ready to blow the doors of the AHL when the season starts.
I found something about hit the ice before the players do on Sunday in Bakersfield. Not sure if they have a practice that day, maybe the next. I'd assume physicals and testing probably should be happening quite soon.
I think you’re point about the press box spot is fair but Jerabek or Gravel fit the bill too. If Bouchard gets 9 games that takes another spot.
For sure, coming into camp it seemed to be between Jerabek, Gravel, Lowe, Stanton, Garrison, Bouchard, Jones and Bear for potentially 7 and 8.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
When does AHL camp start?

Would make sense to get Benson down there to get ready for that as a first year pro.

Agreed he wasn’t going to make the team, but if your giving Mcloed another game, a reward for playing well, Benson should have gotten another.

That said after seeing what Benson brought in his first camp healthy I think he could have a big year this year and be a call up if injuries prevail or Lucic stinks it up

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks.

That makes to me then. If you don't have any expectation of him making the NHL team, get him down and ready to blow the doors of the AHL when the season starts.
AHL training camp starts Monday. So being cut today makes sense. They spend today and tomorrow getting their stuff together, run errands and wrap up what they need to up here.

Saturday, Sunday, head down to Bakersfield get a place to stay for a bit and get ready for the next camp.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Agreed he wasn’t going to make the team, but if your giving Mcloed another game, a reward for playing well, Benson should have gotten another.

That said after seeing what Benson brought in his first camp healthy I think he could have a big year this year and be a call up if injuries prevail or Lucic stinks it up
I think the difference is Benson going down doesn't effect him being able to be called up and he is still working with the orgs coaching staff. When McLeod goes down, he is gone for the year.

PBandJ

Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Dude...you're not convincing anyone, and making yourself look REAL biased here. Maybe go take a breather?

Edited for kindness

Man, I wasn't aware that wanting guys rewarded for playing well and guys who stink being sent down meant I was biased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad