News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

I thought Benson would stick around a little longer.

He is a left shot left wing. He isnt the guy you throw on the 4th line and the only guy he could reasonably beat out is Caggiula at this point.

I think McLeod gets sent down after the game tonight. Yamamoto and Bouchard will be the last cuts if they are.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Some general comments on training camp...

I watch the pre-season games... and it's a chop suey mix of players that you know will never make the NHL, vets with 5 months of rust in their bodies and prospects who are busting their asses to make it and "overplaying" in some situations in order to make a good impression.

You have forward lines and d-pairings that have never played together and you throw them in there and expect to assess them vs other teams with the same mish-mash of prospects/vets and no-hopers.

I think the first half of training camp is pretty much a waste really to be honest... yes it helps players shake the rust off but as far as evaluating skills, it's pretty much useless. Too much randomness in the rosters... no real systems in place including nothing concrete on PP and PK structures... even the new coaches are likely trying to all get on the same page with their coaching methods and systems as well.

If the camp was basically comprised of say 25-30 players with actual legit chances to make the team from Day 1... at least that would allow some slightly more meaningful assessments as you'd have everyone (very roughly) at the same levels so at least you could run lines and work on structure and PK/PP systems could be worked on earlier... which would allow for more comparing and contrasting to see which players might actually help the team the most in certain situations.

I know you have to allow everyone their slice of camp to give everyone that feeling that they are a valued member of the org... but realistically it's not until much later in camp that much of anything useful starts to actually occur in terms of building chemistry and getting solid PK/PP units going and teaching the systems that the team will be using.

3 goalies

9 dmen

16 forwards

That's probably an ideal camp.

You know you'll have to cut 1 goalie... 2 dmen and 2 forwards and that makes for a much better environment to actually teach systems and actually get the team bonded and ready for the season while still having a little healthy competition in camp for positions.

63 players in camp (some teams have 70+) is pretty meaningless in terms of actually getting much done until it's whittled down to that 25-30 number anyway.
I agree with most of this, but I don't think anything is useless. Well, for us watching maybe yes, but for the players no. The first week/weeks is camp, you get to meet, practice with and get to know all the players in the organization (almost all). After that I agree that they should be cutting down the roster to about the size you are mentioning, but I definitely see value for the players and the organization in having most of the players there for at least the first week of TC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Good, I thought they would/should have sent down more, but maybe they'll do that in the next days. Marody, Starrett, Malone and Lowe could go as well, no?
The way I see it is Brodziak is our only 4th liner with a spot. So Upshall, Chiasson, Marody, Malone Caggiula, Aberg, Kassian are all fighting for those 2 spots and the extra forward.

Yamamoto, Rattie, Puljujarvi are fighting for 2/3 right winger spots.

Garrison, Jerebek, Bouchard, Gravel, Benning are fighting for 2 of the right shot d spots and the extra forward.

Starrett will probably get sent down soon too.

Reactions: LaGu

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The way I see it is Brodziak is our only 4th liner with a spot. So Upshall, Chiasson, Marody, Malone Caggiula, Aberg, Kassian are all fighting for those 2 spots and the extra forward.

Yamamoto, Rattie, Puljujarvi are fighting for 2/3 right winger spots.

Garrison, Jerebek, Bouchard, Gravel, Benning are fighting for 2 of the right shot d spots and the extra forward.

Starrett will probably get sent down soon too.
Maybe after tonight, they just want him to sit on the bench and maybe play the 3rd, with Montoya and Koskinen in the pressbox.

PinSeeker

Really narrowed his eyyyyyyyyyesssssss
Aug 22, 2005
YLW
Really like they are trimming quickly, get to your main group and give them a few games together.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Surprised Benson was cut before Marody.
I honestly think it's because they would be going for different spots in the lineup. Marody is a big bodied potential 4th liner and could do that this year. Benson is a top 9 guy and doesn't have a spot here yet

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Then treat as such, because if you're just telling everyone to calm down, just repeat that and leave it at that. If you're pretending to discuss the players' actual performance in camp, the reality and how he's being treated by the team is what matters.

I did make my comment and you are the one who quoted it and responded.

I'm not pretending anything. Guy hasn't shown he can play at the NHL level until he does it against NHL players.

So far he's looked decent but he hasn't played well enough that he's looking at a spot on the roster IMO.

Maybe he will.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I did make my comment and you are the one who quoted it and responded.

I'm not pretending anything. Guy hasn't shown he can play at the NHL level until he does it against NHL players.

So far he's looked decent but he hasn't played well enough that he's looking at a spot on the roster IMO.

Maybe he will.
We also don't get to see how he is playing at camp much. The coaches and the team does.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I honestly think it's because they would be going for different spots in the lineup. Marody is a big bodied potential 4th liner and could do that this year. Benson is a top 9 guy and doesn't have a spot here yet
Benson was going to have to do a lot to steal a spot. Marody however could be the #5 center.

That and this is the first this team is seeing of Marody. Might want to give him an extra few days just to see who/what he really is.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He was pretty quiet last game so I'm not surprised. I'm actually glad that they are trimming the roster down sooner.

I'm really surprised that Lowe survived this round of cuts......NOT.
Seriously, the nepotism could not be more obvious.

You're just saying that because of his last name. :sarcasm:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Really wanted to see more of Lagesson and Jones, no reason for Lowe to still be up.
I was one of the big Lagesson believers, but honestly Jones took that rookie LD spot he was fighting for. Jones earned the minutes he got. Lagesson will be back, once the season starts off and they go into game-mode I think his consistency night after night will pay off. For me he's an ideal 3rd pair D, nothing fancy but able to log heavy minutes and loads of PK.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He was pretty quiet last game so I'm not surprised. I'm actually glad that they are trimming the roster down sooner.

I'm really surprised that Lowe survived this round of cuts......NOT.
Seriously, the nepotism could not be more obvious.

Ah c'mon man, you're better than this. I would like to see Lowe and MacT flushed out of management as much as anyone, but his kid is a decent 7/8 option and they're keeping him around a bit until they're certain he won't be needed up here. That's all. He was already playing that role last year.

Raoul Duke

Feb 21, 2010
I don’t see any reason Benson couldn’t start on the 4th line. He’s not an offence only player.
With his injury history and sketchy development timeline, I would guess a full year in the AHL was predetermined. Probably the right move.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Ah c'mon man, you're better than this. I would like to see Lowe and MacT flushed out of management as much as anyone, but his kid is a decent 7/8 option and they're keeping him around a bit until they're certain he won't be needed up here. That's all. He was already playing that role last year.

Any other player looks like he did against the Canucks and they're sent packing before the final buzzer. He's 100% right here.

The fact Jones and Lagesson looked much better than he did and were immediately sent packing just supports it.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Any other player looks like he did against the Canucks and they're sent packing before the final buzzer. He's 100% right here.

The fact Jones and Lagesson looked much better than he did and were immediately sent packing just supports it.
Lowe is getting the benefit of the doubt because he was our best defender in the AHL last year.

By all accounts he's a guy that works hard an listens to coaches.

Add this all up and it's no surprise he's here on merit, although I don't expect many on here to get this.

TM said it best "training camp isn't fair, it is up to players to make it fair and force hands"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad