GDT: 2024-2025 Training Camp

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Problem is that in a game like that, the Pens barely have the puck. Hard to make an assessment on skilled Forwards when they're just chasing the opposition the whole time.

True but one reason they were chasing were mistakes in their own end. Which McG admitted he was part of. I agree a team of mostly players who haven’t played in the NHL against NHL regulars is not good for assessment of the young players. So why did Sullivan do it unless he doesn’t intend to give these prospects a chance to play in the bigs? The best way to assess McG and others is to mix them on lines with NHL players, not throw them to the wolves…that’s why I think they’ll all be sent down lol

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Reactions: Darren McCord

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
BTW, this was from RW’s blog this am…everyone’s favorite lol.. he trashed Graves lol

“Rutger McGroarty’s skating was a little below what I was anticipating. Not that he can’t be an effective professional, just that I thought it would be a little better. He will have to rely on his spatial awareness and his ability to see plays. This was just a first impression observation of one preseason game. It doesn’t define his career and I imagine, like for all players, the more NHL reps he gets the better things will be.”

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
BTW, this was from RW’s blog this am…everyone’s favorite lol.. he trashed Graves lol

“Rutger McGroarty’s skating was a little below what I was anticipating. Not that he can’t be an effective professional, just that I thought it would be a little better. He will have to rely on his spatial awareness and his ability to see plays. This was just a first impression observation of one preseason game. It doesn’t define his career and I imagine, like for all players, the more NHL reps he gets the better things will be.”

Honestly didn't see a single issue with McG's skating last night.

It's not a strength, but we all knew that coming in.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
True but one reason they were chasing were mistakes in their own end. Which McG admitted he was part of. I agree a team of mostly players who haven’t played in the NHL against NHL regulars is not good for assessment of the young players. So why did Sullivan do it unless he doesn’t intend to give these prospects a chance to play in the bigs? The best way to assess McG and others is to mix them on lines with NHL players, not throw them to the wolves…that’s why I think they’ll all be sent down lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I honestly feel like Koivunen's skating is a bigger issue than McGroarty's skating. McGroarty gets around just fine, his stride is just awkward and inefficient.

He has a super high hockey IQ and knows where to go, and I think you can get away with being a mediocre skater with that. The issue with bad skaters is when they don't have the hockey IQ to be able to anticipate where the puck will be going, I don't think McGroarty will have that problem.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Problem is that in a game like that, the Pens barely have the puck. Hard to make an assessment on skilled Forwards when they're just chasing the opposition the whole time.
Yea, I watched it thinking this isn't really fair to the prospects. They should have had more NHL talent for proper assessment.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Yea, I watched it thinking this isn't really fair to the prospects. They should have had more NHL talent for proper assessment.
Unless the coach has predetermined they will not be getting a NHL spot regardless lol

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I honestly feel like Koivunen's skating is a bigger issue than McGroarty's skating. McGroarty gets around just fine, his stride is just awkward and inefficient.

He has a super high hockey IQ and knows where to go, and I think you can get away with being a mediocre skater with that
. The issue with bad skaters is when they don't have the hockey IQ to be able to anticipate where the puck will be going, I don't think McGroarty will have that problem.

Similar thing with Ilyin.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The more I think about it the more I see Glass being waived. Reason being his high cap hit is going to put him in sort of a different category with different expectations than the league-minimum guys competing for the same spots (Poulin also being significantly younger). While we’re not up against the cap we can still save money by waiving him and sending him down due to the burial threshold, and there’s always the very slim chance someone claims him. It makes no sense to keep him as an extra forward at that cap hit, and if it’s between him and Puustinen as the 12th, you go with the cheaper guy all else being equal.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The more I think about it the more I see Glass being waived. Reason being his high cap hit is going to put him in sort of a different category with different expectations than the league-minimum guys competing for the same spots (Poulin also being significantly younger). While we’re not up against the cap we can still save money by waiving him and sending him down due to the burial threshold, and there’s always the very slim chance someone claims him. It makes no sense to keep him as an extra forward at that cap hit, and if it’s between him and Puustinen as the 12th, you go with the cheaper guy all else being equal.

He hasn’t impressed so far or stand out compared to those guys…agree with you, however I feel like the organization feels the need to be proven right all the time and will refuse to do so lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah, I'm not too worried about McG's skating. I think the issues are being overblown, and if he has the hockey IQ, he can more than make up for not being an exceptional skater. I hope he pans out and turns into that Kunitz/Hornqvist/Landeskog type, because having him be in his prime by the time this team's (hopefully) got a nice collection of top prospects down the road would be a huge help.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Sully was talking him up as a jack of all trades player who can move around the roster.

I highly doubt he gets waived. Would be cool if they did something like that.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

It would be a good thing for him to get claimed if he doesn't make the team. They will have got 2 free picks, free of the cap hit and have less of a log jam in the bottom 6.

I am all for him getting claimed if he continues to disappoint this preseason

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I feel like all that really needs to happen is sending Rutger to the AHL and waiving Acciari. Then you can run this group:

Doc-Sid-Rust
Bunting-Geno-Rakell
Beau-Eller-Glass
Hayes-Lizotte-Poolparty/Puusty
Poulin

Pettersson-EK
Gryz-Letang
Graves-St.Ivany
Aho

This roster gives you 1.4m in cap space and you rotate Puusty/Poulin into the line-up if the new guys suck

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see any reason to waive Glass. At worst, he's a very useful 13th forward that can be used in a variety of roles. I don't see the argument of "he's too expensive to be a healthy scratch", either.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
We barely had a line up.

DOC would have been our best forward playing

Graves would be our best defensemen playing unless you want to say another defensemen name.

Buffalo played Power, Byram, Tage Thompson, Tuch etc.

This game was like the Sharks last year playing an AHL team.
Thank god this team hired that idiotic head coach of the Sharks last season as the new assistant.

Ulf5

Feb 21, 2017
It would be a good thing for him to get claimed if he doesn't make the team. They will have got 2 free picks, free of the cap hit and have less of a log jam in the bottom 6.

I am all for him getting claimed if he continues to disappoint this preseason
It would seems other teams could've had him for free with lesser picks than the Pens received at that cap hit. I highly doubt anyone claims him. Possibly Columbus since they're under the cap floor last time I looked.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad