News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I think if there was any doubt that the spot on the top line was his to lose, it's gone now. He had a heck of a game tonight, I was really impressed by how smart of a player he is, he's always in the right spot.

I think he changed his stick blade as well. Its more curved no?

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Couldn't be happier with how all of the young RWers have performed so far. Rattie looks like he's at least going to start with the McDavid line, Puljujarvi is doing everything that I wanted to see from him, and even Yamamoto has been good enough so far to earn a look on opening night so far. Reider better watch out, because I bet Yamamoto's going to get a shot on that second line with Draisaitl's line not scoring. Reider could find himself on the fourth line if he doesn't step it up.

I would have no issues with him playing 3rd line LW instead 2nd line RW if Yamamoto or Pulujarvi displace him.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I mean except for The Star who seems to have found another higher level to his game.
Who you Talking about? JP or Rattie because I have defended both of these players heavy in here , talent is easy to assess by your own eyes , way too many people complicate this by players not playing at their peak at 18/19 was done with Draisaitl and Nurse as well

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I know a lot of people were pretty enthused about Rieder when he was obtained... but he has bounced around now to 3 different teams and he's a lot closer to a 4th line player than a 2nd line player.

I know many were already dreaming of a great Drai-Rieder combo and while that could still happen... I don't think Rieder is likely that type of talent to ignite that 2nd line into something great.

Rieder has played some tough minutes in his career so far (both zone starts and QoC have been fairly difficult).. so you can either say he has been misused in terms of where and how he's been played in the lineup OR he may not be that top 6 offensive type player... but rather more suited to lesser minutes of 3rd/4th line time where he plays a more defensive role.

I'm not saying Rieder is crap... just that he's likely better suited to a bottom 6 role where you shouldn't expect a lot of offensive production from him and he can still be a decent limited minutes PK type forward. Teams need those types of players as well obviously.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I know a lot of people were pretty enthused about Rieder when he was obtained... but he has bounced around now to 3 different teams and he's a lot closer to a 4th line player than a 2nd line player.

I know many were already dreaming of a great Drai-Rieder combo and while that could still happen... I don't think Rieder is likely that type of talent to ignite that 2nd line into something great.

Rieder has played some tough minutes in his career so far (both zone starts and QoC have been fairly difficult).. so you can either say he has been misused in terms of where and how he's been played in the lineup OR he may not be that top 6 offensive type player... but rather more suited to lesser minutes of 3rd/4th line time where he plays a more defensive role.

I'm not saying Rieder is crap... just that he's likely better suited to a bottom 6 role where you shouldn't expect a lot of offensive production from him and he can still be a decent limited minutes PK type forward. Teams need those types of players as well obviously.

Prior to last year Rieder put up 14 goals 37 points in 2015-16, and 16 goals 34 points in 2016-17 which is average production (~35 points) from a second line winger. He's never played with somebody as skilled as Leon so putting up a 20-20 season is attainable for him.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Prior to last year Rieder put up 14 goals 37 points in 2015-16, and 16 goals 34 points in 2016-17 which is average production (~35 points) from a second line winger. He's never played with somebody as skilled as Leon so putting up a 20-20 season is attainable for him.
I think people fail to realize that 20 goal scorers are just inconsistent 30 goal scorers. Some games they'll play lights out, other games they'll seem disinterested. Erik Cole was the perfect example of that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think people fail to realize that 20 goal scorers are just inconsistent 30 goal scorers. Some games they'll play lights out, other games they'll seem disinterested. Erik Cole was the perfect example of that.
That's not necessarily true. There have been plenty of 20 goal scorers that were consistent throughout the year but never had it in them to score 30.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I can't stand watching Rieder play.

Almost as horrible as watching big Teddy Purcell play. I near close my eyes whenever he's on the ice. So frustrating. I really don't want this guy on the team. Give me McLeod, Yamo, Chiasson, Upshall, even Marody over this guy.

Rieder and Aberg both are not the kind of players I would like to watch play at all this season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Jerabek is going to have to step it up. He's looked flat out bad so far.

He looks nothing like the player I watched last season. Not sure if the problem is rust or if there is something else going on.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I don’t get it lol.... this is how you turn players into the next Justin Schultz.

The puck moving ability is evident. I think that we should start him out with Russell instead of Nurse in a 3rd pairing role if he makes the club. That means that Nurse-Benning is our 2nd pairing to start the season or we go Nurse-Larsson as our shutdown pairing, Klefbom-Benning as our offensive pairing and Russell-Bouchard as the sheltered pairing.

Reactions: nexttothemoon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad