News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Top pick in the draft always sticks with their team... just the way it works.

Rarely with guys picked outside of the top 2 or 3, especially not with d-men.

Bouchard is already getting burned for goals against. And that is against other teams AHL squads. Unless he takes a huge step forward in the next few weeks he's going to get victimized on a nightly basis. That can take its toll on a player and help losses pile up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerchon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Rarely with guys picked outside of the top 2 or 3, especially not with d-men.

Bouchard is already getting burned for goals against. And that is against other teams AHL squads. Unless he takes a huge step forward in the next few weeks he's going to get victimized on a nightly basis. That can take its toll on a player and help losses pile up.

So far he leads the team in ice time at just under 24 minutes per game and is +5 which also leads the team.

The thing about dmen with offense in their games is that they will see GA as well as GF... the typical "high event players".

Pretty much goes with the territory of being a player that takes chances offensively and isn't always top end in defensive skills.

He's not a shutdown D and neither are most top offensive dmen... ie Burns, Karlsson etc.

If Bouchard plays with a decent defensive partner he will be ok defensively. I fully expect him to make mistakes just like Nurse/Klefbom/Benning make mistakes as they are developing and learning at the NHL level as well.

Reactions: Aerchon and snipes

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Ill never forget watching the WJC during the lockout season. The one RNH completely dominated and I kept on thinking how superior he was to Schiefele in every single aspect of the game. Like it wasnt even close.

Nuge with a little more confidence can still be the creative magician who had better vision than Gretzky. Its in him somewhere. I hope he has a career year such a great player and person.

I take it you never watch Gretzky play . RNH may have great vision but Gretzky could see 5 moves ahead . One of Gretzky great quotes was " I shoot where the goalie was not where he is going " That always stuck with me .

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Whoa RNH see's the ice well but come on to bring out a greztky comparison?

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
I take it you never watch Gretzky play . RNH may have great vision but Gretzky could see 5 moves ahead . One of Gretzky great quotes was " I shoot where the goalie was not where he is going " That always stuck with me .

He never said that.
That doesn't even make sense.....it's like a line from Slapshot.

Reactions: Aerchon

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
He never said that.
That doesn't even make sense.....it's like a line from Slapshot.
Probably going for one of these:
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.

Reactions: booyakasha

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Probably going for one of these:
I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been.

A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.
That's the quote I remember, along with him talking about scribbling on a piece of paper witching HNIC.

Reactions: LaGu

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Is there any players confirmed to be playing on Sunday?
Not to my knowledge, but McLellan did say that our Sunday line-up would be somewhat comparable to what the Jets iced against us last game, the game is supposed to be the weaker half of what's left in camp versus something closer to the Jets regular season line-up. McLellan also mentioned players who've only gotten one game and need another look will probably play on Sunday.

I'm guessing- Caggiula, Brodziak, Kassian, Garrison, Gravel, Malone, and Benning will play on Sunday

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Manitoba
Not to my knowledge, but McLellan did say that our Sunday line-up would be somewhat comparable to what the Jets iced against us last game, the game is supposed to be the weaker half of what's left in camp versus something closer to the Jets regular season line-up. McLellan also mentioned players who've only gotten one game and need another look will probably play on Sunday.

I'm guessing- Caggiula, Brodziak, Kassian, Garrison, Gravel, Malone, and Benning will play on Sunday
Yuck, kind of expected that though. Good thing the tickets are fairly cheap :laugh:

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Yeh. I don't buy the "hes got nothing left to prove in junior " track of thoughts. He can still focus on his defense and work on his shot. I doubt he gets top unit PP time here.

He won't be improving his defense against kids in junior.

What the team needs to do if they keep him up is give him opportunities, and reign him back and shelter him when he's clearly shellshocked instead of the sink or swim method they used on Jultz.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Gretzky knew what the other team was going to do before they did

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
He won't be improving his defense against kids in junior.

What the team needs to do if they keep him up is give him opportunities, and reign him back and shelter him when he's clearly shellshocked instead of the sink or swim method they used on Jultz.
He could certainly improve his defensive game. Play hardest minutes + PK.
They added Boqvist so Bouchard won't have to play 30mins a night.

PulYou

Feb 16, 2018
The line-ups at today's practice:

BLUE
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian
Chiasson - Marody - Yamamoto
McLeod
Nurse - Benning
Gravel - Russell
Jerabek - Bear

WHITE
Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Upshall - Malone - Aberg
Klefbom - Bouchard
Garrison - Larsson
Lowe

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Yeah but theres a real chance Boqvist starts the year with Chicago and who knows after that.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Obviously Bouchard could improve his defensive game, but you're kidding yourself if you think the Knights would think of it in the same way. The Knights are not a farm team of the Oilers, they're one of the most successful junior teams in the CHL for a reason...they get the best talent, and play that talent a ton in all offensive situations to leverage the strengths of that talent. They'd use Bouchard in how they see fit, not the Oilers.

Even with Boqvist there, Bouchard would still be playing 28+ minutes per night and be on the PP a ton. I don't see why Hunter would decide to put a bunch of PK minutes onto Bouchard's shoulders, he's got others who can do that grunt work.

Reactions: McGhost Division

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The line-ups at today's practice:

BLUE
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Brodziak - Kassian
Chiasson - Marody - Yamamoto
McLeod
Nurse - Benning
Gravel - Russell
Jerabek - Bear

WHITE
Nugent-Hopkins - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder
Upshall - Malone - Aberg
Klefbom - Bouchard
Garrison - Larsson
Lowe
Looks like Team Blue + select others will be playing in WPG tomorrow.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton

Jesus does nobody remember 2011 on these boards? It was a joke.

Central Scouting’s Peter Sullivan: “A couple of people high up — and not naming names — said Hopkins has the best vision since No. 99.

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Wayne Gretzky. Wayne Gretzky and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I think opening lineup will be something like this in Todd's eyes:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I think opening lineup will be something like this in Todd's eyes:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen
That's a safe bet. Yam and Bear will be sent down and given the same treatment as Draisaitl and Puljujarvi were. Go down and when you eventually come up never go back. Bouchard will be given an opportunity on a 9 game tryout. I think Aberg and Chiasson/Upshall get extra slots.

Reactions: McDrai
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad