News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I don’t get it lol.... this is how you turn players into the next Justin Schultz.
I still haven't made up my mind on Bouchard and what's best for him.

I think there are two major factors on what made the Schultz situation not work out- one he lacked a level of mental resilience to bounce back when things weren't going his way and carried baggage from prior games with him into each new game. Secondly when he was taking on water we refused to let him take the step back he needed, lesser mins against easier comp and controlled his deployment to try and give him situations to succeed in to rebuild his fragile confidence, presumably if Bouchard makes the team its on the 3rd pairing so his only step down from there is junior at this point.

If Yawney is the one with the final say on Bouchard I'll trust his instincts he did pretty good developing D in Anaheim, it's when the suits upstairs get involved with their 2 cents that I get concerned. Make no mistake though the present version of Bouchard is a high event player he will create magic at one end and disaster at the other for a while and if that takes place us fans need to give him the breathing room to grow and not get too hard on him during the eventual growing pains.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I still haven't made up my mind on Bouchard and what's best for him.

I think there are two major factors on what made the Schultz situation not work out- one he lacked a level of mental resilience to bounce back when things weren't going his way and carried baggage from prior games with him into each new game. Secondly when he was taking on water we refused to let him take the step back he needed, lesser mins against easier comp and controlled his deployment to try and give him situations to succeed in to rebuild his fragile confidence, presumably if Bouchard makes the team its on the 3rd pairing so his only step down from there is junior at this point.

If Yawney is the one with the final say on Bouchard I'll trust his instincts he did pretty good developing D in Anaheim, it's when the suits upstairs get involved with their 2 cents that I get concerned. Make no mistake though the present version of Bouchard is a high event player he will create magic at one end and disaster at the other for a while and if that takes place us fans need to give him the breathing room to grow and not get too hard on him during the eventual growing pains.

Exactly. I think that pairing him with Nurse was wishful thinking (that he's ready for a top 4 role). I'd also add that Bouchard is heavier and more physical than Schultz while not being as good of a skater. Bouchard also has a clapper that Schultz never developed while here. Patience is a virtue with this player, this guy has the potential to be one of our best players and our best defenseman by a good margin.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Would like to see a Chiasson-Brodziak-Kassian line. I know people are talking about Kassian not making the team but I completely disagree with that. We know what he can bring and I personally am not worried if he's not bringing it in the pre-season. He should still be on the roster. If there was a trade lined up with him being involved, he is replaceable but if not he's still an upgrade on almost everyone battling for that role. There's a battle with Chiasson, Upshall (when he gets in), and Caggiula for one spot if I'm McLellan. For me, Chiasson should be signed. He can take faceoffs too.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The puck moving ability is evident. I think that we should start him out with Russell instead of Nurse in a 3rd pairing role if he makes the club. That means that Nurse-Benning is our 2nd pairing to start the season or we go Nurse-Larsson as our shutdown pairing, Klefbom-Benning as our offensive pairing and Russell-Bouchard as the sheltered pairing.
I think Russell spends too much time sprawled on the ice to cover up Bouchard's mistakes, Russell blocks a lot of shots and passes, but when an opposition player fakes him into going down early and walks around it'll be the rookie in a likely 2 on 1 situation right around the net. I'm wondering if one of Gravel/Garrison might be a better partner for him, meaning Benning possibly takes the short straw, somewhat radical, I know, but I didn't like Benning on a lot of nights last year.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Russell spends too much time sprawled on the ice to cover up Bouchard's mistakes, Russell blocks a lot of shots and passes, but when an opposition player fakes him into going down early and walks around it'll be the rookie in a likely 2 on 1 situation right around the net. I'm wondering if one of Gravel/Garrison might be a better partner for him, meaning Benning possibly takes the short straw, somewhat radical, I know, but I didn't like Benning on a lot of nights last year.

Nurse isn't good enough positionally to cover for Bouchard.

Someone like Carl Gunnarson or Niklas Hjalmarsson would be perfect.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Nurse isn't good enough positionally to cover for Bouchard.

Someone like Carl Gunnarson or Niklas Hjalmarsson would be perfect.

What about larson?

Klef - Nurse
bouchard - Larson

?

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
More like Russell

Klefa-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russell -Bouchard

Until Sekera returns or we trade for a Faulk.

I like these pairings if Bouchard makes the team. Putting him with Larsson would be nice, but most likely you wouldn't want Bouchard out there nearly as often as Larsson, and it would diminish larsson's effectiveness as a shutdown pairing.

As much as people are excited about a potential d-man acquisition, I think that is a fall back option being set up in case none of the guys we have competing for a spot are quite up to par or if the d struggle / get injured early in the season.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I fully expect the following to take place.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russell Bouchard/Bear

Or

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Gravel Benning

And if neither of those work.

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Benning/Russell
Bottom pairing of whichever of Benning/Russell + anyone really.

The Oilers are forced to assume that both Klefbom and Nurse take a big step forward. Relying on Nurse to anchor the second pairing is a huge jump in responsibility and honestly not a great idea. But with Sekera out it the best way to field a potential top 4 that can battle top quality of competition while the bottom pairing can take it easier.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I don’t think playing Bouchard in a #6 role 14-17 minutes a night with heavy PP minutes would be the worst thing. I would however question if that role isn’t better suited to Bear right now and Bouchard maybe goes the Matthews route (play overseas in a men’s league)

Reactions: Cypress

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
For the love of sweet baby Jesus, please send Bouchard back to Junior before his 9 games is up. There’s so many reasons why he shouldn’t be a full time NHLer this season. Staying up because of lack of better options on the right side is not a good enough reason.

Reactions: KYams17

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I fully expect the following to take place.

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Benning
Russell Bouchard/Bear

Or

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Russell
Gravel Benning

And if neither of those work.

Nurse Larsson
Klefbom Benning/Russell
Bottom pairing of whichever of Benning/Russell + anyone really.

The Oilers are forced to assume that both Klefbom and Nurse take a big step forward. Relying on Nurse to anchor the second pairing is a huge jump in responsibility and honestly not a great idea. But with Sekera out it the best way to field a potential top 4 that can battle top quality of competition while the bottom pairing can take it easier.

I like the idea of going back to Nurse/Benning pairing. Benning hasn't shown himself to be capable of second pairing yet, but I like him on Nurse's right better than Russell, and they have a history of playing together without bringing the team down. If it doesn't work that's where your Faulk trade comes in.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I like the idea of going back to Nurse/Benning pairing. Benning hasn't shown himself to be capable of second pairing yet, but I like him on Nurse's right better than Russell, and they have a history of playing together without bringing the team down. If it doesn't work that's where your Faulk trade comes in.

I really don't like trading for Faulk period because I don't think he is worth whatever it is we would have to send back.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
For the love of sweet baby Jesus, please send Bouchard back to Junior before his 9 games is up. There’s so many reasons why he shouldn’t be a full time NHLer this season. Staying up because of lack of better options on the right side is not a good enough reason.
Yeh. I don't buy the "hes got nothing left to prove in junior " track of thoughts. He can still focus on his defense and work on his shot. I doubt he gets top unit PP time here.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I really don't like trading for Faulk period because I don't think he is worth whatever it is we would have to send back.
Considering none of our D scored more than 6 goals all of last year I would take Faulk here no question.
They can't possibly ask for a Puljujarvi so I am not really worried about the return.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018

Fair enough, Faulk is just the most discussed option which is why I mentioned him. We really dont know the cost of him though, but it could just as easily be someone else if it turns out our defense needs outside help.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm certainly no Faulk fan (too poor defensively... costs too much)... but if there is another dman out there that would help the team then I'd go that route.

What's available out there that would be a good top 4 option though (or at the very least a solid #5)?

Probably not much at all as teams are at their healthiest points of the year right now and flush with optimism. I doubt any team wants to dump a good dman for a reasonable return right now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
He’s in trouble unless half the team gets hurt. Right now, I have Jerabek behind

Larsson
Klefa
Nurse
Russell
Benning
Bear
Gravel
Bouchard
Jones
Garrison
Lowe

And the half mobile corpse of Sekera

He looks beyond bad

He's better than Lowe. But that's not saying much.

Jerabek's contract can be buried (I believe) in the minors though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad