News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london
I think opening lineup will be something like this in Todd's eyes:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi
Caggiula-Brodziak-Kassian

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Gravel

Talbot
Koskinen

I think it could end up like:

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamotto
Rieder-Strome-Puljujarvi
Khiara-Brodizak-Chiasson
Upshall Aberg

Nurse-Larsson
Klefbom-Bouchard
Russell-Benning
Gravel

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Todd is on his way to bring him back and give him his spot in the top 6.

Probably.

All jokes aside though here’s a complete list of Oilers with more goals than Caggiula last year:

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
Maroon

We don’t have 12 forwards better than him at this point. He’s got things to work on to be sure but I’d be floored if he wasn’t in our starting lineup.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Probably.

All jokes aside though here’s a complete list of Oilers with more goals than Caggiula last year:

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
Maroon

We don’t have 12 forwards better than him at this point. He’s got things to work on to be sure but I’d be floored if he wasn’t in our starting lineup.
Let's see. McD,Drai,Strome,Brodziak at C

RNH,Lucic, Pulju,Rattie,Khaira are locks for sure. Tobias Rieder is recently signed so should be a lock as well.

Kassian, Chaisson,Upshall, Kassian,Aberg are his competition.

Ignoring Yamamoto, Marody and McLeod

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Waivers exemption status is still going to be a big consideration in how the season starting roster looks... just like every other year.

Saying that... these are my guesses/speculation as to how the roster shakes out initially...

These 7 are already likely pretty much pencilled into their eventual destinations:

McLeod - Junior
Marody - AHL
Bear - AHL
Yamamoto - AHL
Starrett - AHL
Malone - AHL
Lowe - AHL

One of these forwards makes the roster:

Chiasson
Upshall
Aberg

If they want experience and leadership and a possible PK asset.... they may go with Upshall.

If they want size and a player they think might have some untapped potential that his previous 4 NHL teams haven't really found... they may go with Chiasson.

If they want the youngest, potentially speediest and possibly best offensive talent (again with some untapped upside) they may go with Aberg.

I personally would go with Aberg because I think he has probably the highest upside and the best wheels. He's obviously a project though and does he have the consistency and work ethic to be a positive contributing asset? Maybe.

If I had to guess what the Oilers do though... they'll sign Upshall for his vet leadership role and PK ability (aka Hendricks role)... and they might even sign Chiasson to a 2-way deal and put him in the AHL as they may see some value to having him down there.

I could be wrong but I don't see much of a future for Aberg here with the impression he made last season and I think he might head back overseas if he is sent down to the minors and passes through waivers.

2 of these dmen make the roster imo:

Gravel
Garrison
Jerabek

2 because I think they start with 8 dmen on the roster as they'll give Bouchard his 9 game look... and then decide from there whether he'll stay up or not... so they'll want an extra dman on the roster for when/if Bouchard is sent down.

My guess is that Gravel has one spot almost wrapped up... good size and I think the skill level is there to be a pretty solid all-around dman.

Garrison has maybe the best offensive tools of the 3... but he's not getting any younger at 33... and his skills seem to be in decline these last few years but not a bad vet to have on the team in that 7/8 spot for when injuries hit and his shot is likely one of the best of all the Oilers dmen.

Jerabek is a wild card... I didn't know a lot about him coming into camp but his offense at least looked decent... .84 pts/60 at ES in his 36 games in the NHL. His defensive abilities from what little I've seen might be suspect though so it will take a few more views to see what his game is actually like.

Right now I'd go with Gravel as the #7 and Garrison as the #8 (assuming again that Bouchard sticks around for 9 games). Since Jerabek is already signed to a $1 million deal though... I could definitely see them seeing things differently and going with Jerabek instead of tying up another contract in an aging Garrison.

Talbot/Koskinen/Montoya all likely head overseas as they are apparently allowed 3 goalies on the roster for those games.

I assume Montoya goes down to the AHL after the Oilers come back from overseas unless Koskinen totally craps the bed here in preseason. Montoya looked decent in his short appearance so far and Talbot is looking pretty solid as well. Could it be that the pressure of a 3 headed goalie scenario actually produces some solid netminding going into the season? Hope so.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I would've gotten a warning and you would've gotten a letter filled with a few hundred tiny cane spiders to populate your home.

sei_26813989-fbd5.jpg

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I think the top 9 is set with...

RNH-McDavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Rieder
Khaira-Strome-Puljujarvi

The 4th line wings are still a toss up.

For me, I'd want one energy and one defensive guy. So Caggiula vs. Kassian for a spot, and Upshall vs. Chiasson for the other. At this pointed I'd go with Chiasson and Kassian. Upshall could also steal a spot there, but I'd want him healthy first. I think Caggiula gets traded once Upshall is good to go.

Aberg's in a tough spot, as there's no space in the top 9, and he's not an ideal 4th liner... It's the same issue for Yamamoto.

On defence I think...

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Russell

... is more or less set.

So going into the final preseason games, I'd roll with Garrison, Jarabek, Gravel, Bear, Benning, and Bouchard; and see who sinks and swims.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Probably.

McDavid
Drai
Nuge
Maroon

I know plus minus isn't a great stat but when I combine it with my eye test Caguillia is not worth keeping around for his goal scoring ability.

He is a guy that seems like nothing but filler on this roster. A cost controlled "asset" that is versatile and has the odd great play that gives the illusion he is better than he is.

To cover my butt a little bit on this player I will say he still "could" end up being a valuable player for the Oilers. He doesn't have much nhl experience as of yet and even though he is relatively older he still could have a significant jump in growth and consistency.

There were few if any goats in the 2016 2017 season. But I really felt he was a weak link on a solid team. 2017 2018 didn't change my opinion. It's just that so many others played poorly as well.

Reactions: nexttothemoon

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Caught the tail end of a chat show and it sounded like Montoya will be heading to europe as 3rd string goalie encase either Dadbot and the rooshkie get injured
I keep seeing around here that the Oilers are allowed to bring 25 guys over with them to Europe. Does anyone have a link for that? And how does it work cap wise? Or is it that they can bring 25 guys over but they don't have to have them on their active roster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad