News Article: Training camp starts. Camp discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I keep seeing around here that the Oilers are allowed to bring 25 guys over with them to Europe. Does anyone have a link for that? And how does it work cap wise? Or is it that they can bring 25 guys over but they don't have to have them on their active roster?
This is an excellent question. It is especially relevant given the Oilers tight cap and the potential Sekera LTIR issue. I would assume they declare a 23 man roster and that they can carry two more without waiving them but who know?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I heard McLellan say they will take a 23 man roster (in one of the training camp interviews on Oilers.com)... but they are allowed to take 3 goalies overseas in case something happens to one of them.

So I assumed they could only take a 24 man roster for those games.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Kassian is safe as is Brodziak on the 4th line.
It's between Caggiula,Chaisson and Aberg for the final roster spot and PB duties.
Marody, Yamamoto, Malone down to AHL, McLeod to Juniors.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Rarely with guys picked outside of the top 2 or 3, especially not with d-men.

Bouchard is already getting burned for goals against. And that is against other teams AHL squads. Unless he takes a huge step forward in the next few weeks he's going to get victimized on a nightly basis. That can take its toll on a player and help losses pile up.

and you don't think theres a difference in Bouchard playing top 4 like he is now to playing as the number 6 pp option that he would play if kept up? He's getting burned cause he's playing over 20 minutes a game, with controlled ice time I think a 6th an pp option could work, not ideal but lets not pretend he was going to be the number 1 this year

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'm almost 100% sure its 25

That's interesting... if true that means they'll likely take 14 forwards and 8 dmen overseas in addition to 3 goalies.

Which then means they'll have to cut three players from the roster after they finish their overseas games... which might see them having to waive a decent player or two after all other teams have their rosters set (except NJ of course as they are overseas as well).

That's either an advantage because other teams either won't be able to pick up that waived player having already set their 23 man rosters... or a disadvantage as another team could have an early injury and try to pick off one of those late-waived Oilers players.

Maybe it's not a big deal and I'm just making more out of it... but I would rather have all the decent players waived earlier in camp so they aren't "dangling" out there on the waiver wire for opposing teams to snipe.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
A few thoughts:

Yamamoto
Definitely agree with @780il, Yamamoto and Draisaitl would be great together. Yamamoto has offensive smarts, which is one thing most of Drai's wingers lack. And you can't just look at his weight and say that he's too small. You can look at Myers, who is 6'8 and 230lbs, and is really soft. Unlike Gaudreau, Yamamoto plays with grit and tenacity. I think a more skilled Gallagher is a better comparison. Yamamoto is great defensively and battles hard. He even threw a few nice hits in the preseason so far.

Powerplay
Unlike many posters here, I actually don't mind the 5 lefties on the PP. What I can't stand though is playing McDavid on the right. They need to follow the Jets, and play McDavid in Wheeler's role, with Drai in the middle for those quick one-timers. Lucic as the net-front presence is ok, and RNH can go on the right-half wall.

----- Lucic -----
McD - Drai - RNH
----- D-Man -----

For the 2nd unit, they can do the opposite, and load up on righties:

----- Rattie -----
Pulju - Yams - Strome
----- D-Man -----

The main idea for this is that there are two options for one-timers. There is the player in the middle to get the quick shot off (Draisaitl and Yamamoto) and two on the opposite half-walls (Puljujarvi and RNH), with McDavid and Strome coaching it.

Lines
As much as I believe that Puljujarvi has earned a shot in the top-6, it would be very nice to have 3 scoring lines. I believe Puljujarvi has the capability to lead his line, especially playing softer minutes behind McDavid and Draisaitl. I also think he is better utilized as the "main guy" on his line, as opposed to being the finisher.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Lucic - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Khaira - Strome - Puljujarvi
Rieder - Brodziak - Chiasson

For the defense, I think Bouchard gets the 9 games, since Bear can be called up at any time during the season. Russell should be a solid partner for him, especially playing the left side.

Klefbom - Larsson
Nurse - Benning
Russell - Bouchard

Reactions: Draiskull

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Have to also say that it sounds encouraging when listening to McLellan speak after the Jets game on Sunday night.

He genuinely makes it sound like there could be some vets losing their jobs and replaced by some younger, hungrier players.

I honestly believed that like almost every other year... the players with the biggest contracts and seniority were once again going to be penciled in and "camp competition" was going to be pretty much "in theory" yet again.

Could it actually be possible that Yamamoto takes a roster spot from someone? It sounds entirely possible... even probable by what McLellan is saying.

Could Bear or even McLeod surprise with a roster spot as well? Probably not as likely... but not totally impossible.

My guess is Bouchard has a spot pretty much locked down... especially if they are taking 8 dmen overseas, and if they are taking 14 forwards then Yamamoto could have a spot as well. Chiasson could get the nod as well as a #13/14 forward.

It would be good to see a shakeup among the vets to show that this season is really going to be different without any floating into the season.

ZERO tolerance for half assing and underperforming players... even in the pre-season.

If that's the case then Caggiula/Kassian/Aberg could all be out the door... replaced by Yamamoto/Chiasson/McLeod... but that's likely too much of an upheaval... likely 1 or maybe 2 vets at most will meet the axe.

If true though that vets jobs are truly on the line... I think that does bode well for the team being focussed and having solid intensity going into the season.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Id go

Rnh-McDavid-Rattie
Yamamoto-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Reider
Khaira-Brodziak-Upshall

That looks good to me. It'd be lovely to see that second line for at least a couple of games. It could potentially provide pretty much all that a great line has, supposing that Puljujarvi plays at the level he started the last season and a bit more. In that case there should be room for a smaller player like Yamamoto. I believe Drai feels a bit of pressure from the new contract and thus whatever helps him with creating points would do him good mentally.

Khaira is a nice player as he can be a decent option for the 3rd, but works well in the 4th as well.

If the first two lines could be elite in what they're doing that'd make the Oilers a very difficult team to beat. At least if the PP and PK work better this season.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Nurse has looked really good. Looking forward to the year he has.

Haven’t liked Klefboms game so far. His brain just doesn’t think on a elite level.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I think Yamamoto and Bouchard make the opening night roster, as well as Montoya. If I were to predict the lineup for Game 1 I think it will look like this.

RNH-Mcdavid-Rattie
Lucic-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Reider-Strome-JP
Khaira-Brodziak-Caggiula

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Benning
Russel-Bouchard

Talbot
Montoya

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Did Yamamoto really play LW last night? That opens up a whole new set of possible combinations

Rattie, Yamamoto, Puljuarvi, Chaisson, Kassian as our 5 RWers is pretty good.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Gravel, Lowe, Malone all waived.

I’d say that leaves Bear and Bouchard for the final D spot.

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard/Bear
Jerabek

Ryan McLeod, man. Still hanging around. Good for him.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think Kassian is safe as is Brodziak on the 4th line.
It's between Caggiula,Chaisson and Aberg for the final roster spot and PB duties.
Marody, Yamamoto, Malone down to AHL, McLeod to Juniors.

Marody, Yamamoto, and Mcleod all deserve to make the team.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Gravel, Lowe, Malone all waived.

I’d say that leaves Bear and Bouchard for the final D spot.

Klef-Lars
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Bouchard/Bear
Jerabek

Ryan McLeod, man. Still hanging around. Good for him.

Which likely means that unless Bouchard does very poorly that he will start with the team while Bear gets sent down to wait for an opportunity. Or we carry 8D and 3G if we are allowed 25 players in Europe.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Marody was very quiet last night. I'd like to see him get at least half a season in the AHL. Depth, it's nice to have!

Marody has made some outstanding defensive plays throughout camp. Id be interested to see his takeaways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad