GDT: Training Camp discussion - Camp now open

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Nvm. Got my answer.

Who knew cranking Bieber wouldn’t unleash the mad dogs of Hell within each player on the ice????

Back in the day, before a wrestling match, football or rugby game I would get pumped up to Judas Priest, Metallica, and AC/DC.

Never thought of cranking Rick Astley….

Last edited:

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Team looks deep. Expecting big things from the boys this year. Assess what hole to target at the deadline.

Hot take: All 3 amigos see 100 points this year
Marner will lead the team in points and sign a very large contract. Many on this board will magically fall in love with him again.

Reactions: bax and Rude Dog

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Interesting that former assistant coach for the Marlies and member of the organization was there first hand when Keefe introduced it and didn't like the music idea by Keefe. He thought it was disruptive.

Eh, I like Jack Han but those are pretty weak complaints and it feels like someone jumping on the media cycle.

His complaints are that a staff member had to set it up. Which was disruptive to them, not the players. And that not every player liked the same music so would sometimes complain…

If that’s what’s costing the team in the playoffs then literally fire everyone into the sun.

RunItBackAgain

“We were right there”
Oct 14, 2021
Marner will lead the team in points and sign a very large contract. Many on this board will magically fall in love with him again.
Why would him signing a big contract make people love him? That’s the issue with Tavares or we’d all love him and it will be the same with Mitch. If he leads us to a cup he can have league max though and I’ll tattoo his name on my forehead.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Veteran Maple Leafs forward Ryan Reaves believes that new Leafs head coach Craig Berube runs one of the toughest training camps in the National Hockey League.​

I think everyone knew that when the Maple Leafs shifted from Sheldon Keefe to Craig Berube this summer, there were going to be some significant changes in how things were done in Toronto. Fast forward to training camp, and the players are already noticing a huge difference -- Ryan Reaves, in particular.

In his first Leafs training camp, Berube has made some significant changes in how the Leafs will approach their overall game this season. Rather than the drop passes and backpedalling that players became accustomed to under Sheldon Keefe, Berube demands a more straight-line, north/south effort with every player skating hard, finishing their checks and playing smart two-way hockey. Ryan Reaves already notices the difference and has noticed it since day one of camp, which he calls his hardest day of camp in his career.

"I remember last year [was] tough. Today was... in my top two and it probably wasn't two. It was a good day, though. I think it sends a message to the team right away about what our identity is going to be and I think guys enjoyed that battle. We got through it, and move on to day two."

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
1727014747204.png

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I haven't been keeping up with hockey news, folks that have followed scrimmages, etc...

how have the following looked?

Cowan
Patches
OEL
Tanev
Murray

Any progress from...
Knies
McMann
Holmberg

I wanna add Robertson to the group but I digress LOL

I read Knies put on some more mass and Domi was training like a maniac in the summer so less concerns in that department... just wanna know if Knies is looking more like a BEAST like a envision him to be i.e. a FU power forward

and more importantly....

Tavares' skating?

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I think Berube is going to try to build chemistry in the pre-season with consistent lines and defense pairings, and only make adjustments if something is not working. That will be a refreshing change from Keefe's approach in years past.

Reactions: TMLAM34

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
The rookie revelation begins today..

"Play the Kids"

Thankfully we had Dubas who drafted all these kids.

Lou's drafting history was terrible.

Agreed?

I think Berube is going to try to build chemistry in the pre-season with consistent lines and defense pairings, and only make adjustments if something is not working. That will be a refreshing change from Keefe's approach in years past.

The argument goes back and forth between whether he changed things too much to not enough, there is never a consistent argument here.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The argument goes back and forth between whether he changed things too much to not enough, there is never a consistent argument here.
Not to get off topic, but my main issue with Keefe was that he often tinkered with the lineup even when the team was playing well.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I haven't been keeping up with hockey news, folks that have followed scrimmages, etc...

Cowan
Patches
OEL
Tanev
Murray

Any progress from...
Knies
McMann
Holmberg

I read Knies put on some more mass and Domi was training like a maniac in the summer so less concerns in that department... just wanna know if Knies is looking more like a BEAST like a envision him to be i.e. a FU power forward

and more importantly....

Tavares' skating?

Cowan looked good in the rookie tournament.

Pacioretty looked decently fast in the single clip I saw but his puck skills looked bad.

Tanev looked bad in the single clip I saw.

Tavares looked slimmer to me in an Instagram post and beat Tanev in a 1 on 1 in the single clip I saw.

Murray got a shutout yesterday.

The rest I have no clue.

The only players who I could actually comment on are the players in the rookie camp, everything I saw above is sort of a joke minus the Cowan part.

Standouts for me in the rookie tournament were Cowan, Greb, Niemela, Chadwick, Kressler, Minten, Quillan, and probably some others that I am forgetting.

Reactions: PromisedLand

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Cowan
Patches
OEL
Tanev
Murray

Any progress from...
Knies
McMann
Holmberg

and more importantly....

Tavares' skating?
There hasn't been a ton of legit info coming out yet....but a lot of players talking about what a monster Knies has been so far lol a lot of positive talk about Tanev from the forwards as well.

Reactions: PromisedLand

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad