LD Lane Hutson - Boston University, NCAA (2022, 62nd, MTL) - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Make him earn that pp1. Don't want him scoring too much on his Rookie contract or you will be paying out the wazoo on his next (potentially 8 year) contract :naughty:

JIMVINNY

Nov 9, 2007
It's also an intersquad practice type of situation in a real NHL game that's going to be a high risk play.
Disagree. If an opponent manages to knock it down, it's a whistle for a high stick. He put it in a place where only his teammate could reach it. Executing that play for most NHL'ers would be risky, I'll grant you that, but plays like that are commonplace for Hutson.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Disagree. If an opponent manages to knock it down, it's a whistle for a high stick. He put it in a place where only his teammate could reach it. Executing that play for most NHL'ers would be risky, I'll grant you that, but plays like that are commonplace for Hutson.
I have no doubt that he has great offensive skills, the question is really going to be how he handles the defensive side of the game and physicality in the playoffs.

I had the same questions about Hughes who plays for my team and he has better size and skating relative to Hutson and his defensive game has really come around but I really wonder how Hutson pans out honestly.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I have no doubt that he has great offensive skills, the question is really going to be how he handles the defensive side of the game and physicality in the playoffs.

I had the same questions about Hughes who plays for my team and he has better size and skating relative to Hutson and his defensive game has really come around but I really wonder how Hutson pans out honestly.
Hughes faded pretty hard in the playoffs
Needs more of a supporting cast in Vancouver

Reactions: viceroy

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Makar, power, Faber, Hughes, Boeser, Keller hell pretty much every NCAA prospect have echoed the same thing as a rookie

after the the Christmas break the adrenaline has worn off and you realize how much of a grind the NHL season is and you miss those week breaks from the NCAA to recover.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
He had a decent playoffs and in fairness the Oilers were running on all cylinders in the second round with a mostly healthy Draisaitl.
He was worn out after one round and then got ran over by the Oilers. He had a decent playoffs in terms of points. Unfortunately, there’s more to the position than points.

Reactions: viceroy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
He was worn out after one round and then got ran over by the Oilers. He had a decent playoffs in terms of points. Unfortunately, there’s more to the position than points.
If getting run over by the Oilers means that he was one of the better Canucks sure but Hughes was great in the playoffs just look at his underlying numbers or go watch his games.

Is he a big physical defender, no, but in pretty much all other areas he is elite.

If Hutson can be Hughes lite 2.0 then the Habs will be very lucky.

Reactions: FerrisRox

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
If getting run over by the Oilers means that he was one of the better Canucks sure but Hughes was great in the playoffs just look at his underlying numbers or go watch his games.

Is he a big physical defender, no, but in pretty much all other areas he is elite.

If Hutson can be Hughes lite 2.0 then the Habs will be very lucky.

As someone who watched every Canucks playoff game, I'm kind of baffled to see people saying Hughes "faded" or didn't have a great playoff.

I don't think the Oilers series illustrated Hughes "fading." I think it showed Hughes against a much more formidable opponent and he wasn't able to do the things he was doing prior to that.

What Hughes saw against the Oilers was a handful of the best players in the world who had actually elevated their game and their intensity and, to say the least, they were very difficult to contain.

I was very impressed with Hughes' playoff and I think it's a very solid building block for him. Now he knows that even players like McDavid and Draisaitl dig deeper and find a little something extra in the playoffs despite their immense talents and gifts and Hughes knows that if he wants to be an elite player, he's going to need to do that too.

Reactions: wetcoast

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Habs' fans, from what you've seen thus far in camp ...

What is the likelihood of Hutson being in the opening night lineup? How likely is it he'll play at least some of the season with Laval?

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Habs' fans, from what you've seen thus far in camp ...

What is the likelihood of Hutson being in the opening night lineup? How likely is it he'll play at least some of the season with Laval?
High in Montreal. Low in Laval. Too much talent. Only reason he would be sent down is because they have too many bodies but even then I think they might keep 7 or 8 defenseman to start the year. TBD.

Reactions: Deep Blue Metallic

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
As someone who watched every Canucks playoff game, I'm kind of baffled to see people saying Hughes "faded" or didn't have a great playoff.

I don't think the Oilers series illustrated Hughes "fading." I think it showed Hughes against a much more formidable opponent and he wasn't able to do the things he was doing prior to that.

What Hughes saw against the Oilers was a handful of the best players in the world who had actually elevated their game and their intensity and, to say the least, they were very difficult to contain.

I was very impressed with Hughes' playoff and I think it's a very solid building block for him. Now he knows that even players like McDavid and Draisaitl dig deeper and find a little something extra in the playoffs despite their immense talents and gifts and Hughes knows that if he wants to be an elite player, he's going to need to do that too.
The series shifted as it went on
At the beginning Hughes was dominant
He seemed like less and less of a factor as the series went on.

But that often happens to star players when teams key on them. Heck mcdavid was held pointless in game 7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad