Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
It should also be mentioned that if we got Kassian and he showed a willingness to improve and looked good out there, it would make trading Eberle far easier to swallow. This has the potential to be amazing for us if everything goes as planned...

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It Kassians personal problems are over then he's the type of player we need in the bottom six. It's good to have one crazy player on the team.

Feb 9, 2013
I don't want Kassian, but it would be fun to post about how he's rustling Canuck fan jimmies when we play them.

This alone is enough reason to claim him. ;)

Seriously though, a top nine of...

Kassian McDavid Yakupov
Hall Draisaitl Purcell
Pouliot Nugent-Hopins Eberle

looks good, at least on paper. As someone else said, McDavid's Semenko.

edit... With a Kassian on his line Yakupov might increase the physicality of his play. A motivated and fearless Yak, a crazy Kass, and a McJesus could make for one heck of a hard and frustrating line to play against.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It Kassians personal problems are over then he's the type of player we need in the bottom six. It's good to have one crazy player on the team.

I think the only thing that's done is his rehab stint. Whether or not that rehab did anything is another question. MTL might have to send him to the AHL so that he can prove he's not a ****ing idiot still

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I really don't see the downside to putting a claim in. Like someone on the mains said, he just got out of rehab. The last thing he's going to be doing is poorly influencing teammates. If he does, then you throw him right back on waivers. Chiarelli should give him a promise that if he works his ass off, he is guaranteed a spot in our lineup. If he messes around even a little bit, he's gone.

The guy is on a one year deal with huge potential.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I've never ever liked Kassian but I think it's a gamble you take. Has the potential to be a really nice fit here. We need depth on the wings and having a tough guy around wouldn't hurt us IMO. Just as long as he has cleaned up his act a little bit in rehab. If he hasn't you just waive him again.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It should also be mentioned that if we got Kassian and he showed a willingness to improve and looked good out there, it would make trading Eberle far easier to swallow. This has the potential to be amazing for us if everything goes as planned...

Montreal, a team screaming for size, waives Kassian. That's a good enough red flag for me to stay away.

And how does Kassian make Eberle expendable?

Feb 9, 2013
Kassian > Gazdic

Different roles... its like saying Eberle > Hendricks.

Gazdic would clean Kassian's clock in a fight. Kassian would certainly outscore and outplay Gazdic. One is a top six powerforward, the other is a bottom six face puncher. Why not have both?

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Different roles... its like saying Eberle > Hendricks.

Gazdic would clean Kassian's clock in a fight. Kassian would certainly outscore and outplay Gazdic. One is a top six powerforward, the other is a bottom six face puncher. Why not have both?

Kassian is most definitely NOT a top 6 forward. give your head a shake

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Montreal, a team screaming for size, waives Kassian. That's a good enough red flag for me to stay away.

And how does Kassian make Eberle expendable?

They can't bring him in without waiving another player. He also made a deal with their GM and he broke his trust. Bergevin didn't cave in.

Kassian makes Eberle expendable in that we have Hall, Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH, and Eberle as players who need the puck to succeed. Most great scoring lines have 1 player like this and two players who fulfil other roles on a line like puck retrieval, creating space, goal scoring.

Kassian could fit perfectly into a 3rd line RW role which when we're healthy is exactly where Eberle would be slotted.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Khaira-RNH-Kassian
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski

Looks damn solid if Kassian has smartened up.

Young Lions*

May 27, 2015
Re: JKassian, I'm torn. On the one hand, he's a player who might add some value to our bottom six and chip in a little bit offensively, but on the other there's his substance abuse issues and the fact he seems like, well, kind of an idiot.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
Man, I am completely torn on Kassian. He brings the skill set that we definitely lack and he is a prototypical Peter Chiarelli type player for sure. I assume that Chiarelli is doing all sorts of research at the moment.

I understand people saying he was lazy and didn't score with the Sedins and did stupid **** on and off the ice, but you have to consider his obvious substance abuse issues. If he's actually cleaned up and motivated, there's a pretty impressive player.

I would definitely consider dropping Klinkhammer on waivers and picking up this crazy SOB if he is actually clean and sober. I believe wholeheartedly in giving people second chances, but it's totally up to them if they're willing to change.

alexo

Jul 24, 2007
www.puttingonthefoil.com
No interest in Kassian. That might be the one we wish we would have picked up at some point, but I think it's a lot more likely to be the one we wish we avoided. Kinda low risk though at this point due to being on the last year of his contract, but I'd still stay clear. Vancouver couldn't be rid of him fast enough. I wouldn't doubt it if that's how Buffalo felt and why they moved him. Montreal now seems willing to lose him for nothing. This isn't a conditioning stint... this is dropping him on waivers for free... so clearly they don't want him. At least two (I'd say 3) teams gave up on him in a hurry... I don't think we really want this issue.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
They can't bring him in without waiving another player. He also made a deal with their GM and he broke his trust. Bergevin didn't cave in.

Kassian makes Eberle expendable in that we have Hall, Draisaitl, McDavid, RNH, and Eberle as players who need the puck to succeed. Most great scoring lines have 1 player like this and two players who fulfil other roles on a line like puck retrieval, creating space, goal scoring.

Kassian could fit perfectly into a 3rd line RW role which when we're healthy is exactly where Eberle would be slotted.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Khaira-RNH-Kassian

Montreal has options to make room for him but I do see the point why Bergevin would feel betrayed by Kassians actions.

In no world does Kassian replace Eberle. You'd be better served trading Eberle for a winger without the baggage Kassian brings.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I really don't see the downside to putting a claim in. Like someone on the mains said, he just got out of rehab. The last thing he's going to be doing is poorly influencing teammates. If he does, then you throw him right back on waivers. Chiarelli should give him a promise that if he works his ass off, he is guaranteed a spot in our lineup. If he messes around even a little bit, he's gone.

The guy is on a one year deal with huge potential.

Just getting out of rehab means very little.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Khaira-RNH-Kassian

You want to play RNH with an AHLer and a head case? That'll really get the knives out of his back. :shakehead

Kassian in no way shape or form makes Eberle expendable. He might take the place of a Khaira or a Pakarinen.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Montreal has options to make room for him but I do see the point why Bergevin would feel betrayed by Kassians actions.

In no world does Kassian replace Eberle. You'd be better served trading Eberle for a winger without the baggage Kassian brings.

Some insiders were saying that's what happens. Bergevin felt very betrayed because he gave Kass a chance and he ****ed it up.

You'd be a lot better trading Eberle in exchange for our biggest need (defence) and picking up a player who at worst fits into our bottom 6 and at best can play up and down the lineup when needed.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Kassian is most definitely NOT a top 6 forward. give your head a shake

Is Purcell a top 6 forward?
You dont have to be a legit top 6 forward if you are complimenting a pair.

Hall-Drai
RNH-Ebs
McDavid <needs no pair>

Oilers can slot someone like Kassian on either of these 3 lines.

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
id take a chance on Kassian and i hope Chia does too. Claim him and give him 10 games, if nothing then put him back on waivers.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You want to play RNH with an AHLer and a head case? That'll really get the knives out of his back. :shakehead

Kassian in no way shape or form makes Eberle expendable. He might take the place of a Khaira or a Pakarinen.

Kassian would make Purcell expendable. Oilers need size in top 9. If not Kassian the Oilers still need to get someone next year.

No way Purcell is back here.

duul

Jun 21, 2010

I'm not saying Kassian can put up the points Eberle does. No way. What I'm saying is that we don't need 3 scoring lines. No team does. That's not how you win in todays NHL. We can trade Eberle for a defenceman who will significantly improve our gf/ga and then slot Kassian into the lineup to help create a more balanced group. You can even do this:

Hall-Draisaitl-Kassian
Khaira-RNH-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpse

Klefbom-Hamonic
Nurse-Sekera
Davidson-Schultz
Gryba

Hall and Draisaitl are a two man show. Purcell finds open space and I would argue having a player like Kassian on that line would work better. He's not a talentless hack. The guy can put up goals and would be giftwrapped opportunities on that line while retrieving pucks and creating space. He's huge and skates well.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Is Purcell a top 6 forward?
You dont have to be a legit top 6 forward if you are complimenting a pair.

Hall-Drai
RNH-Ebs
McDavid <needs no pair>

Oilers can slot someone like Kassian on either of these 3 lines.

Well Purcell is getting results like a top 6 so yes he is. Not all guys are going to get those results though. Adding a guy that just got out of rehab that really has proven nothing other than to be an idiot isn't a good idea.

Vancouver couldn't make use of him. MTL that wanted size doesn't want him. Those are big tells when two teams that have solid vet cores want nothing to do with him. MTL didn't even give him a shot, that's how bad it is

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I don't hate the idea of Kassian, although we've already got a pretty big log jam of bottom 6 forwards.

When Pouliot, McDavid and Yakupov come back that bumps an entire line of forwards out of the lineup, and then if you add Kassian, you need to get rid of a 4th.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Kassian-RNH-Eberle
Korpikoski-Letestu-Hendricks
Lander

Gazdic waived, Pakirainen and Khaira back down to the minors? And then there is Klinkhammer, although I'm not sure when he's due back.

Kassian certainly isn't a replacement for Eberle. Not in any feasible way. But he is a decent enough bottom 6 player who brings much of the toughness that Gazdic does, but can score 10-15 goals in a year.

I will say that he's one of the first forwards to hit waivers that I've had any interest in in a long time.

I actually will be kind of surprised if he makes it to Edmonton at 21st.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad