Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
A massive no to Kassian. We need to build a group with character. He would be a detriment to that.

That's the problem. Oilers have too many "good" character guys and not enough "character" guys.

If McLellan tells Kassian to take someone's head off, he will do it. Gazdic, although very likeable, will not. He's too nice.

oilz89*

what kind of attitude after rehab? is there something he said to media today or are we just assuming things here

Why do u want to mess up things in the locker when its going so great? There is a reason MTL put him on waivers. I don't see him fitting in with this team in anyway. Some of you putting him in top six :laugh:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Wouldn't it be better to acquire a player after they've been in rehab, rather than before? There are other players who have been to rehab in the NHL, either publically or privately and have come back as changed men.

If he is a nuisance, you waive him. Nothing of value lost.

Except in your scenario you're using him as a fill-in for Eberle.

If he sucks and can't hack it our forwards are much worse for lacking a rounding into form Eberle and we don't have a viable replacement.

That's why with any major deal I'd prefer to wait until the draft. Maybe this team is better minus Eberle+ for defence, but this team is very definitely better minus Eberle+ for defence and adding a Backes/Eriksson/Ladd/Hudler/Brouwer/Lucic etc.

Last edited:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
That's the problem. Oilers have too many "good" character guys and not enough "character" guys.

If McLellan tells Kassian to take someone's head off, he will do it. Gazdic, although very likeable, will not. He's too nice.

Or he'd try, miss, spin around with his stick like a helicopter, injure someone and get himself suspended...

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Except in your scenario you're using him as a fill-in for Eberle.

If he sucks and can't hack it our forwards are much worse for lacking a rounding into form Eberle and we don't have a viable replacement.

That's why with any major deal I'd prefer to wait until the draft.

Like I said before. I'd argue our gf/ga would increase much more with Hamonic and Kassian on our team instead of Eberle. Do you disagree? Hamonic and Kassian on our team would make us far better than keeping Eberle.

We need to keep in mind who we have as our GM too. Guy has preached getting heavier and harder to play against. Go watch Zack Kassian highlights. Guy can skate, has soft hands. He also destroys people on the forecheck and sticks up for teammates.

Trading Eberle for a defenceman and then acquiring Kassian makes us a way better team. Period.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
You can't just waive the guy and call it a day. He still has to go to the AHL and be with your other prospects.

The guy has proven nothing in this league and that's while playing with superstars. A team deemed "small" for the past decade doesn't even want him.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Why do u want to mess up things in the locker when its going so great? There is a reason MTL put him on waivers. I don't see him fitting in with this team in anyway. Some of you putting him in top six :laugh:

Did you watch the so called hockey game last night? This team needs balls if they want to not be a bottom dwelling scums.
It was men vs boys last night.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
What exactly is his role?
based on our recent opponents Oilers can use a player like Jimmy Hayes or Kevin Hayes in their top 9. Kassian is much more than Gazdic. Comparing him to Gazdic is as unfair as people expecting him to be a Eberle replacement.

3rd liner with physical edge is what he is. RW trio of Purcell, Ebs, Yak is just too weak and can be exploited.

IMO Kassian'ish player needs to replace Purcell long term.

The Habs wouldn't have waived him if he was a 3rd liner with a physical edge lol. He lacks consistency as both a scorer and checker. He's garbage.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Get McDavid, Pouliot and Yakupov back and Kassian isn't a consideration at all, IMO.

Unless they trade someone for a D, I guess we could take a flyer on Kassian.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Or he'd try, miss, spin around with his stick like a helicopter, injure someone and get himself suspended...

I remember that. I also remember there was no retaliation from our players throughout the game. Too many softies on this team.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The Habs wouldn't have waived him if he was a 3rd liner with a physical edge lol. He lacks consistency as both a scorer and checker. He's garbage.

If you had bothered reading about him when he got in that car accident, Bergevin basically stated he wouldn't be back due to breaking a promise they made.

Rehab changes a lot of people. He's not a garbage hockey player in the slightest.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Like I said before. I'd argue our gf/ga would increase much more with Hamonic and Kassian on our team instead of Eberle. Do you disagree? Hamonic and Kassian on our team would make us far better than keeping Eberle.

We need to keep in mind who we have as our GM too. Guy has preached getting heavier and harder to play against. Go watch Zack Kassian highlights. Guy can skate, has soft hands. He also destroys people on the forecheck and sticks up for teammates.

Trading Eberle for a defenceman and then acquiring Kassian makes us a way better team. Period.

We aren't getting Hamonic for Eberle. We're just not, so the entire argument is a strawman.

All I'm saying is if you claim Kassian you need to do it with the understanding that he shouldn't even be considered for the top 6, and you need to sit his ass down on the way in and tell him that if he backslides in any way or hurts this team his ass is out the door.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013

Yeh like his on-ice performance is the reason Habs waived him.
He has played 0 games for them.

Habs are up against cap and have a full roster. They arent going to add someone to active roster making 1.75M who hasnt played a game in a year.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Get McDavid, Pouliot and Yakupov back and Kassian isn't a consideration at all, IMO.

Unless they trade someone for a D, I guess we could take a flyer on Kassian.

While the 3 are on IR what is harm in picking him up for a couple weeks ?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
We aren't getting Hamonic for Eberle. We're just not, so the entire argument is a strawman.

Don't be facetious. The point still stands when you think about trading Eberle or even Eberle + a pick in a trade for any defenceman of similar value. Eberle has the worst +/- on our entire team. He is a defensive black hole. He's a small, purely offensive winger. We have more pure offensive players than any other team in the NHL.

I will ask you again. Do you think we are a better team with Eberle or with a defenceman acquired in trading Eberle + acquiring Kassian?

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
If you had bothered reading about him when he got in that car accident, Bergevin basically stated he wouldn't be back due to breaking a promise they made.

Rehab changes a lot of people. He's not a garbage hockey player in the slightest.

Can you confirm that rehab has changed him? No. What we do know is that:

He was waived
The Habs are big on character
Kassian has not produced at a good enough rate to be put into the top 6
He lacks consistency in his physical play, so whether he is an upgrade over anyone in our bottom 6 is questionable as well

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Don't be facetious. The point still stands when you think about trading Eberle or even Eberle + a pick in a trade for any defenceman of similar value. Eberle has the worst +/- on our entire team. He is a defensive black hole. He's a small, purely offensive winger. We have more pure offensive players than any other team in the NHL.

I will ask you again. Do you think we are a better team with Eberle or with a defenceman acquired in trading Eberle + acquiring Kassian?

Depends on the defenceman. If that defenceman is Hamonic, probably. If that defenceman is some 4/5 eastern conference scrub that 'could totally play top 4 here' than no. It's not an absolute 'are we or are we not better' it depends entirely on what the return is.

Frankly? No. I'm not sold that Kassian helps this team in any appreciable way. He'll need a solid month - at least - to get up to speed. Look how long it took Eberle to look like himself after being out for only a month or two, and then factor in that Kassian has been out since March. We'll be healthy long before we could reasonably assess where Kassian is. This isn't a guy at the top of his game (which even at the top of his game is somewhat limited by his peanut brain) this is a guy that hasn't played since March, broke a hand and a foot, and spent the last few months in a rehab program.

I got my fill of reclamation projects with Cam Barker and Gilbert Brule.

Giggli G

Sep 8, 2006

We would have won about 2 of the last 6 games without Eberle.

6 players are on the ice for a goal against, and only a couple have been directly Ebs' fault.

Ebs has been directly responsible for pretty much every goal he scored.

Scoring a goal is a whole hell of a lot better on an individual level than getting a -1 is bad.

Do you not get that?

oilz89*

Did you watch the so called hockey game last night? This team needs balls if they want to not be a bottom dwelling scums.
It was men vs boys last night.

Huh?!?!?! We had rookies on our defense who played well but weren't adept at making passes except For Reji. We had NIKITIN and SCHULTZ in one pairing. We were missing our best dman and our second line. So what are you talking about? Would Kassian trying to rip Charas head off and then getting his *** kicked in have helped us? How would that have helped us defensively? :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad