Rumor: Trade Rumors and Proposals: Will Chia get us an Xmas gift?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
This offseason I'd like to retool our bottom 6. For some reason we don't really have a player who actually hits. Letestu, Hendricks, Pak, Korpse don't throw many hits.

Against Boston you saw them laying the body absolutely every single chance they could. Our team was scared to do anything. Throwing the puck away as soon as possible before they could line up more hits. Hell even Connolly was laying people out in our zone on the forecheck. We have none of that.

I'd love to target players like Clutterbuck and Tootoo. Good for 15-20 points, fighting, intimidating, and actually able to play hockey. Gaz isn't a hockey player.

Clutterbuck yes. Matt Martin yes. Andrew Shaw yes. Jordin Tootoo hell no.

Also, bolded: Well, that's false.

Hendricks has 63 hits in 21 games which is top 50 among forwards. Far and away the most on the Oilers despite missing ten games.

He had 220 hits in 71 games last year, good for 16th among forwards.

Pakarinen is no slouch in the hitting department either, currently 81st among forwards in hits.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Never talked about, but what the hell are we going to do with Nilsson if he keeps playing like a legit starter? I don't know how great the UFA market is, but does Nilsson become an offer sheet target?

I can't really see that being an issue. The Oilers would match anything that's not ridiculous if Nilsson keeps his play up, and no one is offering ridiculous money to a goalie based on a one year sample size.

Lock Draisaitl down as soon as possible, though...

Rin

Mar 28, 2006
Northern Alberta
Stoll is on waivers. He is on a 1 year, 800k contact. I think he's exactly what this team could use right now. Veteran presence down the middle. He could help make the season a close race for us.

Or am I just on crack? We never successfully replaced him after sending him to LA.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Stoll is on waivers. He is on a 1 year, 800k contact. I think he's exactly what this team could use right now. Veteran presence down the middle. He could help make the season a close race for us.

Or am I just on crack? We never successfully replaced him after sending him to LA.

You might not be, but he probably is.. probably the reason nobody will pick him up. he had similar stats and possession numbers to mike richards but made less money so didn't have the negative publicity. he's been pretty bad for a number of years. this team needs a player like he was when he played for us years ago. hes a shell of his former self

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I also have fond memories of Stoll as an Oiler. But, like many other veterans, the game may have just gotten too fast for him. I felt the same thing happened when we brought Smytty back. Fayne and Ference are other vets to fall victim to the speed of the game. Fortunately the new management has identified this problem, which is why I can't see them making a claim.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
You might not be, but he probably is.. probably the reason nobody will pick him up. he had similar stats and possession numbers to mike richards but made less money so didn't have the negative publicity. he's been pretty bad for a number of years. this team needs a player like he was when he played for us years ago. hes a shell of his former self

He is still top 10 faceoffs guy in the league and still has a hard shot. Cant be worse than Purcell on the PP as the RHS option and cant be much worse than Lander in everything else.

Stoll also has more hits than any Oiler not named Hendricks so far this season.

not an ideal pickup but not a terrible idea.

Oct 15, 2008

Put down the pipe.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Zack Kassian on waivers. His deal expires at the end of the season. He made a big mistake this offseason and lost his chance in Montreal.

However, this is one of those players I think is worth making a gamble on. He's a low cap hit and expires this year. Not only is he the type of player we lack, he is the type of player Chiarelli loves. He can put up points, he can fight, hit, everything. If we falters, then we're off the hook at the end of the year. If he smartens up and realizes this is his last chance to make it, then we could have a hell of a player on our hands.

Some people might be against it due to his personal actions and stuff away from the game, but you can't deny he is a very intriguing option free for the picking.

We have the GM most known for loving this type of player.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Zack Kassian is on waivers. Might be worth taking a chance with him.

Hall-Drai-Kassian

Kassian-RNH-Eberle

Kassian-McDavid-Yak

Lots of options

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Our good friend Zack Kassian reinstated and on waivers.

Is this PC's free Power Forward?

Could Todd get to him and make him successful?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

The Jarret Stoll you remember is a distant memory to the shambling husk wearing Stoll's jersey these days.

Perhaps if both Lander and Letestu were injured I might consider it, but as things stand today I honestly don't see him bringing anything that those two can't, and they're doing it with less off-ice baggage to boot.

It's kinda sad, I still remember the fresh-faced rookie he was when he first made the Oilers, not hugely gifted but tons of hockey sense and oozing leadership. There's a lot of miles and hard living under his hood now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Our good friend Zack Kassian reinstated and on waivers.

Is this PC's free Power Forward?

Could Todd get to him and make him successful?

Cant be worse than Khaira...
I would pick him up and test drive him til Pouliot is ready to return.

edit: Not sure if we want someone with substance abuse and behavioral issues hanging around our team though..

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Definitely. Nobody will offer sheet him because they wont pay him much yet and we'd match instantly. A goaltender having a good season isnt that big a thing, the next one could easily be crappy, when they start stringing two or three together showing some consistency then you have something.

Lack and Jones got pretty decent deals for being good goalies on a good team. you'd think a good goalie on a horrid defensive team would raise a few eyebrows

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Stoll to Minny

As for Kassian, a team with a solid veteran core maybe takes a chance on him.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
There are (I think) 9 teams ahead of us on the waiver wire.

Columbus
Toronto
Anaheim
Carolina
Calgary
Buffalo
Colorado
San Jose
Vancouver

I don't know exactly how it works. Just using NHL.com league standings. If this is correct, there are a lot of teams on there who would be interested in Kassian.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
There are (I think) 9 teams ahead of us on the waiver wire.

Columbus
Toronto
Anaheim
Carolina
Calgary
Buffalo
Colorado
San Jose
Vancouver

I don't know exactly how it works. Just using NHL.com league standings. If this is correct, there are a lot of teams on there who would be interested in Kassian.

We finished 3rd last last year. Shouldn't we be 3rd?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
The Jarret Stoll you remember is a distant memory to the shambling husk wearing Stoll's jersey these days.

Perhaps if both Lander and Letestu were injured I might consider it, but as things stand today I honestly don't see him bringing anything that those two can't, and they're doing it with less off-ice baggage to boot.

It's kinda sad, I still remember the fresh-faced rookie he was when he first made the Oilers, not hugely gifted but tons of hockey sense and oozing leadership. There's a lot of miles and hard living under his hood now.

He's not as bad as people are making him out to be. NYR just has too many young centers and already have Moore.

He is still a top FO man, was one of NYR top shot blockers as a forward and still playing a lot of PK(on a top 6 pk).

Space was the issue for the Rags at 800k he's still a damn good option as a #4 center.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
We finished 3rd last last year. Shouldn't we be 3rd?

I thought the standings from last year only determined the waiver wire for the first month or so of the season. I'm trying to find info on it but can't. Someone here should know.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Stoll to minny, Khudobin clears.

Dunno what to think on Kassian. Might be a good reclamation project, but he needs to realize this would be his last chance. He did play with Hall in Windsor so he would know some guys here. And traditionally weve had good luck with reclamation projects like MacT.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Man, Kassian if he plays how he did in Vancouver would be a nice addition.

Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell
Pouliot-Mcdavid-Yakupov
Kassian-RNH-Eberle
Hendricks-Letestu-Korpse
Pakarinen

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I can't think of a player I want less than Kassian. Well. Stewart.

Inconsistent player, inconsistent effort, absolute train wreck off the ice. Stay far away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad