OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Dont panic, they are 2-0!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I don't think Fields is getting screwed over by his WRs due to drops or pass protection, I think he's just not getting much help from the rest of the team. Namely in these two areas:

1. A few penalties have taken back big chunk gains.
2. Their WRs (after Pickens) are really shitty at getting open.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pickens has had several huge plays called back due to penalties. I think he is playing great and I don't have a problem with how he is being used.

Pickens is seeing less snaps than he did in his rookie season. Hell he got outsnapped by Van Jefferson over the first two games. You really have no problem with that?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Pickens has had several huge plays called back due to penalties. I think he is playing great and I don't have a problem with how he is being used.
People also aren’t giving enough credit to Pickens & Fields (independently) for the DPI’s they’ve drawn so far. That has been 100+ yards of offense on what were also well-thrown passes. I enthusiastically welcome the heave ‘n pray overlords to our offensive game plan!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

So why not throw the guy out there for 91% of the snaps like the Browns do with Cooper? We've got this hugely scary WR that should be distorting how defences act, why not ride him as hard as you can?

I mean, all this stuff about the great things Pickens is doing... that's my point! Why are we happy with having a true top 10 WR talent who's in flying form who only plays 72% of the snaps and isn't in the top 30 for targets? Or in the top 100 for YAC?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
So why not throw the guy out there for 91% of the snaps like the Browns do with Cooper? We've got this hugely scary WR that should be distorting how defences act, why not ride him as hard as you can?

I mean, all this stuff about the great things Pickens is doing... that's my point! Why are we happy with having a true top 10 WR talent who's in flying form who only plays 72% of the snaps and isn't in the top 30 for targets? Or in the top 100 for YAC?
I’m pretty sure the snap count is mostly from blocking. While I agree Van Jeff isn’t a factor in that regard, I don’t care if Pickens is run blocking. Considering what happened to Tank Dell last year, I’d almost prefer that Pickens isn’t used to block much at all.

He rates well in targets per route run:

As for your last two points, it’s a small sample of a low volume passing offense and Pickens has run bad with penalties. I’m not sure what there is to be alarmed about. All of his metrics are good.

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
Pickens is seeing less snaps than he did in his rookie season. Hell he got outsnapped by Van Jefferson over the first two games. You really have no problem with that?
I have a problem with Van Jefferson seeing that many snaps. I don't have a problem with how they have used Pickens. He has been playing really well.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
They are basically doing with Wilson what they did with Austin. He could help right now. He's actually a guy who could slot in nicely at #2.

Reactions: T1K

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yea I agree with this. Let's give JF a ton of credit here. He came in kind of as an afterthought. Looks like he studied and practiced hard and as if he would be the starter. We've heard no animosity between he and RW. If I remember correctly, JF said Wilson was a guy he tried to model his game after.

You can check my post history. I was very meh on JF with a lean towards him not being a fit for this team. I'm not crowning him yet by any stretch since there's a ton of season yet to be played. As I said, I haven't been this excited about the offensive side of the ball in 15 years.

I'm also wondering if Tomlin has sort of recognized how he is doing without the pressure and that is why he has kept firm on Russ being QB1. Just letting Fields be the #2 and the reduced expectations that come along with it.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013

Even if it's only to use him as a decoy it seems like he should be on the field more. Or, ya know, setup a play action for him?

I dunno. If the Steelers had this dominate running game and the WR was the key to it, OK. But they don't. It's just as mediocre as it was last year and none of their WR are particularly good at blocking.

Reactions: Peat

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

he's playing against two guys every play. i like that they are keeping him fresh.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I understand we are going to need more from the passing offense than we have gotten so far, and that featuring Pickens is definitely a key to that. I just think things have gone really well so far. I still have a hard time accepting that a Fields led offense has turned the ball over once in three games. Fortunately the games have allowed the Steelers to ease Fields and the rest of the offense into being more explosive. I hope to see more on Sunday.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Last I checked, Pickens was playing 100% of snaps in 11 personnel. Smith just has a TE fetish and uses an absurd amount of 12 and 13 personnel compared to the rest of the league.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
As good as Fields has played and has also given me hope for the future, I still want to see how Russ would fare in this offense. I also have to believe the organization must feel the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad