HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #88: 2024 Off-Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Galchenyuk (3rd overall pick) + 2020 3rd round pick -> Domi -> Anderson were not a good trades.

A good trade would have been to identify sooner than AG was not the guy and then trade him at full value like TB did with Drouin. This is what would have been a good trade. Getting Anderson for a 3rd overall pick + 3rd round pick was not good at all.
By the same logic, if Hughes capitalized on Anderson's trade value when it was the highest, we would be in a much better position than we are now.

There were serious rumors that we wanted a top-10 pick for Anderson in the Slafkovsky draft, with the media even talking about New Jersey's 2nd overall for Anderson +.

Hughes decided to hold out for a king's ransom, and it backfired. Not the end of the world, but when Bergevin left, Anderson was a valuable player.

I think Anderson just isn't a fit with MSL but could be a decent player in another system.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
By the same logic, if Hughes capitalized on Anderson's trade value when it was the highest, we would be in a much better position than we are now.

There were serious rumors that we wanted a top-10 pick for Anderson in the Slafkovsky draft, with the media even talking about New Jersey's 2nd overall for Anderson +.

Hughes decided to hold out for a king's ransom, and it backfired. Not the end of the world, but when Bergevin left, Anderson was a valuable player.
I don't think Anderson had the value we thought he had,.. ever........his play and stats were of what could have been.................and it never was.
Depending on who you listen to, Hughes may have missed a good opportunity to trade the donkey, but say that was smoke created by the media....

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
I don't think Anderson had the value we thought he had,.. ever........his play and stats were of what could have been.................and it never was.
Depending on who you listen to, Hughes may have missed a good opportunity to trade the donkey, but say that was smoke created by the media....
I think 2nd overall was always a pipe dream, and even straight up for a top-10 pick in the weakest draft in decades was a stretch, but we probably could've got a late 1st and a prospect for him and dumped his contract

Like I said, not the end of the world though, I didn't expect Anderson to fall off a cliff this fast. He's not a fit under MSL but more important players are so tough situation for him.

Reactions: Gustave and BLONG7

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I think Anderson just isn't a fit with MSL but could be a decent player in another system.
What was Anderson's value though?

He was acquired for a 3rd round pick and Max Domi who just had a bad season and who had only two good seasons in career as a top 6 player. Domi was a questionable asset to acquire there was definitely telltale signs at that point. Anderson's value is only perceived from media and hockey expert hype there's no real proof he had a great value at any point in time since we acquired him for what was at the time a borderline 2nd line player who had a bad season and terrible playoffs. I don't buy any team would have traded a top 10 pick for Anderson that's total horse BS to me.

Let's say Anderson was worth a end 1st round pick and a B prospect like Toffoli (i doubt he was worth more than that at any point in time). That's still terrible value for a 3rd overall pick and a 3rd round pick. AG after the 2015-2016 season was certainly worth quality assets. Clearly the management did not believe in the kid (and they were right). Yes he was used on the first line with Radulov to start the 2016-2017 season but he was quickly downgraded after a few games once he returned form his injury and was then put on the 4th line in playoffs behind Dwight King despite King playing like a total disinterested piece of ****.

If you don't believe in the kid you cash in after the 2016-2017 season. You tell all the teams you are looking for a center or dman and are willing to depart with AG who is better on the wing. You do like TB did you get out before it's too late.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
Nope, still the same issue. Isolated event stats don't make a player.
But that is obviously not the case for Kapanen. Same as people said that Slaf was one-hit wonder while smart people clearly saw his constant progress.
Kapanen made steady progress since his draft and he broke through in the middle of last season becoming PPG player in Liiga, having great PO and WC performance was just a cherry on top. He moved to better league and seems he will continue his growth. I expect him to be NHL ready next year, but he is very similar to Beck (3C potential).

Beendair Donedat

Juice Arse 2.0
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
Speaking of Kapanen, are we sure he isn’t one of those “tall whites” that folks talk about when they mention aliens? He’s ridiculously pale in his hockeydb picture.

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 1

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Reinbacher is so underrated, he will be ready for NHL in February once we trade away Savard. He already has two seasons of pro experience. Simon Nemec with NJD is very similar. Last year he was sent to AHL even if he was NHL ready at the camp. Once Dougie Hamilton got injured, Nemec came to NHL and immediatelly became top D for them. This can easily happen to Reinbacher.

It's not happening. Savard is not gonna be traded.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
But that is obviously not the case for Kapanen. Same as people said that Slaf was one-hit wonder while smart people clearly saw his constant progress.
Kapanen made steady progress since his draft and he broke through in the middle of last season becoming PPG player in Liiga, having great PO and WC performance was just a cherry on top. He moved to better league and seems he will continue his growth. I expect him to be NHL ready next year, but he is very similar to Beck (3C potential).
Great, so he's a good piece to get Crosby :naughty:

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
We can't keep Savard AND Matheson when we have 47 young D.
Pick your vet, and bring the rest up to mature.

Reactions: Rapala

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Why there are so many people wanting to trade Savard. We're not gonna send a bunch of kids outthere. Reinbacher is not gonna be ready yet.
We have Barron, Mailloux Reinbacher + 2 LD… by the trade deadline we will have a better idea of whatwe have Savard is a asset that isn’t part of this team future you have to manage And trade him even if it is to sign him back as a UFA.

the fact that he wanted a king ransom doesn’t mean he received or refused any acceptable or offer…

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
No he isn't. Only if they are out of playoff contention and they can get something worthwhile for him (at least a 2nd).
Habs are not gonna keep a guy that will turn 35 at the start of next season
If it's a third pick then it is what it is.
Savard has no future in Montreal anyways.
We still have Matheson , Jackeye , Barron and Guhle are turning 23/24. They have enough presence in this roster for the future.

Savard is a best a 6th dman anyways

Also habs are not making playoffs unless Laine Dach goes apeshit and that Montombeau can play for .910

Reactions: the

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
We have Barron, Mailloux Reinbacher + 2 LD… by the trade deadline we will have a better idea of whatwe have Savard is a asset that isn’t part of this team future you have to manage And trade him even if it is to sign him back as a UFA.

the fact that he wanted a king ransom doesn’t mean he received or refused any acceptable or offer…

If I was a betting man, I would say that Barron is the one going.

Leadership, physicallity, sacrificing himself with shots blocking and being french are reasons that Savard will be with us for a while.

Reactions: Deus ex machina

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
If I was a betting man, I would say that Barron is the one going and Reinbacher won't be a regular this season.
Unless there a significant offer for Barron he isn’t going anywhere, they won’t sent him down to lose him to waiver, Reinbacher will start in the AHL Hutson, Mailloux and Struble will battle to stay in the NHL and position with Barron. Savard is gone at the TDL at the latest…

Reactions: tazsub3

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Unless there a significant offer for Barron he isn’t going anywhere, they won’t sent him down to lose him to waiver, Reinbacher will start in the AHL Hutson, Mailloux and Struble will battle to stay in the NHL and position with Barron. Savard is gone at the TDL at the latest…

I don't see Barron or Struble staying long.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Leadership, physicallity, sacrificing himself with shots blocking and being french are reasons that Savard will be with us for a while.
But you are leaving out the most important part, he is 34yo and it is the final year of is contract… unless we are in the playoff or there isn’t any market for him he will be traded.

Egresch

Jul 10, 2022
It's not happening. Savard is not gonna be traded.
You might be right. If we are in playoff race, we will not sell any players for sure. Getting additional 2nd rd pick is not worth it. Savard mentoring Hutson and other young Ds is worth much more.
The only concern for me, we have to start incorporating young RHDs to our NHL lineup to move on with rebuild. Reinbacher, Mailloux, Barron could be our future, but none of them is NHL established.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Habs are not gonna keep a guy that will turn 35 at the start of next season
If it's a third pick then it is what it is.
Savard has no future in Montreal anyways.
We still have Matheson , Jackeye , Barron and Guhle are turning 23/24. They have enough presence in this roster for the future.

Savard is a best a 6th dman anyways

Also habs are not making playoffs unless Laine Dach goes apeshit and that Montombeau can play for .910
Then again with team taking the next step , having a cup winner vet like him , that can be even 7th d and play in a long playoff run has a lot of value .
So won’t be surprised if they keep him and re up him at a discount .
By the same token , if the team has not taken the next step , then I could see him doing that role for another team at the deadline

Reactions: Deus ex machina

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Then again with team taking the next step , having a cup winner vet like him , that can be even 7th d and play in a long playoff run has a lot of value .
So won’t be surprised if they keep him and re up him at a discount .
By the same token , if the team has not taken the next step , then I could see him doing that role for another team at the deadline
I agree.
He could be traded at the deadline and come back next year as 7th D/insurance.
7th D is not a good role for a young player. They either have to be a regular NHLer or play a lot in the AHL.
It seems Savard likes to play in MTL with that group of guys and i don't think he wants to move his family again to play elsewhere.
I think he'll accept this role at this stage of his career.

But of course, it will depend on how he'll perform this season.

Reactions: tazsub3

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
This is probably what actually happened.
We have to understand that Hughes also knew we were undersized and outmatched up front for the most part.
Moving Anderson would have been a two part problem.
He's got a chance to redeem himself some providing Marty plays a more traditional game with his bottom 6 which he should do.
If Anderson can be a physical thorn in the side of the opponents Dmen on a third line it may open up some interest for a hockey trade next off season.
He's gone by the end of next season anyways.

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad